Hyundai Accent 2014

Baal

Even my avante has it, the Reverse is on the left of gear 1. so in order to shift further left beyond between 1/2 position u need to lift up this collar/sleeve then only the gear stick goes even more left and then push it up into reverse.

What's the reason? Going cheap? Because yesterday I saw someone in a Cerato doing a 3-point look as if never drive it before, stall three times while gonstan. [smash]

Speaking of 6-MT nowadays, I been reading in user manuals etc. that you must "pull up the collar" when engaging reverse gear. Can someone elaborate on this? The gear knob need to be pull upwards when reversing?

↡ Advertisement

I'm not sure if I've written this somewhere in this thread but I want to put in a little review here. I rented the current generation (2010 model, according to Wikipedia) in Turkey and drove about... I think... 400~kms on it. It was a 1.6 turbodiesel with 4AT.

The terrain that I drove the car through in Turkey is no where near forgiving. Apart from badly paved tarmac, and winding mountain roads, I also drove through probably around 50-100 kms of gravel/sand because the road to a seaside town Bodrum was not completed.

The Accent was quiet, comfortable, and engine was reasonably smooth (of course It can not be compared to a premium sedan). It understeers quite a lot around the winding roads but was predictable unlike my ex-ride the Nissan Latio which understeered under throttle and had severe change of character if you lift-off mid-turn. The car felt sturdy too going at up to 130~140kph.

The only thing I didn't like was that the engine, being diesel, did not return good FC (only about 10km/L) and the 4AT was sluggish and did not do justice to the diesel engine. I think the diesel gave good torque, and a transmission with taller gearing would have helped at highway speeds.

I would be keen to test the SG version of the Accent with a CVT, or maybe even with the 6-spd manual which should be a really nice drive, and maybe compare it against the Kia Forte K3 which I think has the 6AT. I would personally prefer the 6AT for a more traditional feel of gear shifting in a car. I did not like CVT cars when I drove them. It just feels... weird.

Overall, I think the Accent is quite well positioned at the advertised... if I didn't see correctly.. $87K? The next car in line to consider would be a Suzuki Swift or a Kia K3. Of course, manual cars have poorer resale values so be aware.

Edited by Detach8

I'm not sure if I've written this somewhere in this thread but I want to put in a little review here. I rented the current generation (2010 model, according to Wikipedia) in Turkey and drove about... I think... 400~kms on it. It was a 1.6 turbodiesel with 4AT.

The terrain that I drove the car through in Turkey is no where near forgiving. Apart from badly paved tarmac, and winding mountain roads, I also drove through probably around 50-100 kms of gravel/sand because the road to a seaside town Bodrum was not completed.

The Accent was quiet, comfortable, and engine was reasonably smooth (of course It can not be compared to a premium sedan). It understeers quite a lot around the winding roads but was predictable unlike my ex-ride the Nissan Latio which understeered under throttle and had severe change of character if you lift-off mid-turn. The car felt sturdy too going at up to 130~140kph.

The only thing I didn't like was that the engine, being diesel, did not return good FC (only about 10km/L) and the 4AT was sluggish and did not do justice to the diesel engine. I think the diesel gave good torque, and a transmission with taller gearing would have helped at highway speeds.

I would be keen to test the SG version of the Accent with a CVT, or maybe even with the 6-spd manual which should be a really nice drive, and maybe compare it against the Kia Forte K3 which I think has the 6AT. I would personally prefer the 6AT for a more traditional feel of gear shifting in a car. I did not like CVT cars when I drove them. It just feels... weird.

Overall, I think the Accent is quite well positioned at the advertised... if I didn't see correctly.. $87K? The next car in line to consider would be a Suzuki Swift or a Kia K3. Of course, manual cars have poorer resale values so be aware.

Actually a CVT is quite alright once you get used to it. Apart from sluggish acceleration and climbing rpm, its really smooth without any jerk from gear shifts. Unless you are flooring it, it is quite ordinary from a normal start with minor acceleration from standstill to 30km/h, rpm just climbs and falls like with a normal AT transmission.

But I would still choose a manual, given the option, any time and day.

• Praise 1

Actually a CVT is quite alright once you get used to it. Apart from sluggish acceleration and climbing rpm, its really smooth without any jerk from gear shifts. Unless you are flooring it, it is quite ordinary from a normal start with minor acceleration from standstill to 30km/h, rpm just climbs and falls like with a normal AT transmission.

But I would still choose a manual, given the option, any time and day.

Auto transmissions are very smooth too. I haven't driven a car that really jerks when shifting in the last dunno how many years, unless the transmission got problem. Even the DSG type transmissions are smooth. I even test drove a BMW M5, which is supposed to be a close to a supercar level type of car it is smooth under normal driving... unless you really floor it.

Then again, even if it is CVT, if got problem, it will also be jerky.

MT... it all depends on the driver.

Auto transmissions are very smooth too. I haven't driven a car that really jerks when shifting in the last dunno how many years, unless the transmission got problem. Even the DSG type transmissions are smooth. I even test drove a BMW M5, which is supposed to be a close to a supercar level type of car it is smooth under normal driving... unless you really floor it.

Then again, even if it is CVT, if got problem, it will also be jerky.

MT... it all depends on the driver.

No.. Haha not that jerky. Probably my way of putting wrong. My bad.

What I'm trying to say is that don't have the need to change gears therefore is smoother. No matter how fast or smooth an auto transmission or DSG or DCT is, there will still be a need to change gears hence that small amount of time period. But CVT doesn't have that, and thats what I'm trying to share. So it can be deduced as good and bad in afew ways.

No.. Haha not that jerky. Probably my way of putting wrong. My bad.

What I'm trying to say is that don't have the need to change gears therefore is smoother. No matter how fast or smooth an auto transmission or DSG or DCT is, there will still be a need to change gears hence that small amount of time period. But CVT doesn't have that, and thats what I'm trying to share. So it can be deduced as good and bad in afew ways.

Yeah I know what you mean. I drove a CVT car (my parents had one Mercedes with a CVT for 4 years) and also test drove the new Subaru Forester (CVT) I really didn't like how it felt. It just feels very rubber-band like, and if you floor the vehicle you do not feel an instant push and it takes a while for the power to come in while the CVT shifts. Even in both vehicles I have driven, they had a simulated manual via either a pedal shift or a gearstick and it was very sluggish. Granted, the Mercedes felt better... I really didn't like the Subaru... it was very very sluggish.

On the go, this Hyundai impresses with its well-damped ride and tidy handling. It isnt particularly agile, but it makes up for this by offering decent comfort via its quiet cabin and effortless steering, which makes manoeuvring through multi-storey carparks a breeze.

But the real surprise here is its CVT gearbox, which is so smooth that it managed to fool this writer (and several Hyundai salespeople) into thinking it was a regular 6-speed automatic.

Throughout our two-day test-drive, it did not exhibit any of the typical CVT traits when pushed. There was no whine or rubber band feel. If all CVTs were like this, driving enthusiasts would be more willing to accept them.

The Accent might not have sharp handling or a lot of amenities. But by accentuating its positive traits, which include a seamless drivetrain, well-made cabin and reasonable pricing vis-a-vis its rivals, it makes the thought of owning this subcompact saloon a cheerful one.

From torque singapore. Go try accent cvt

What's the reason? Going cheap? Because yesterday I saw someone in a Cerato doing a 3-point look as if never drive it before, stall three times while gonstan. [smash]

Speaking of 6-MT nowadays, I been reading in user manuals etc. that you must "pull up the collar" when engaging reverse gear. Can someone elaborate on this? The gear knob need to be pull upwards when reversing?

This is just a safety function to prevent accidentally engaged R Gear. It was already there with our family manual Volvo in the 80s.

Yeah I know what you mean. I drove a CVT car (my parents had one Mercedes with a CVT for 4 years) and also test drove the new Subaru Forester (CVT) I really didn't like how it felt. It just feels very rubber-band like, and if you floor the vehicle you do not feel an instant push and it takes a while for the power to come in while the CVT shifts. Even in both vehicles I have driven, they had a simulated manual via either a pedal shift or a gearstick and it was very sluggish. Granted, the Mercedes felt better... I really didn't like the Subaru... it was very very sluggish.

Subaru's Lineartronic is one of the most refined CVT on the market currently, with Nissan's Xtronic coming in 2nd.

But I totally get what you mean, my thoughts are exact. It isn't as "fun" to drive, and if you are one who drives for the excitement, it should be avoid at all cost.

On the go, this Hyundai impresses with its well-damped ride and tidy handling. It isnt particularly agile, but it makes up for this by offering decent comfort via its quiet cabin and effortless steering, which makes manoeuvring through multi-storey carparks a breeze.

But the real surprise here is its CVT gearbox, which is so smooth that it managed to fool this writer (and several Hyundai salespeople) into thinking it was a regular 6-speed automatic.

Throughout our two-day test-drive, it did not exhibit any of the typical CVT traits when pushed. There was no whine or rubber band feel. If all CVTs were like this, driving enthusiasts would be more willing to accept them.

The Accent might not have sharp handling or a lot of amenities. But by accentuating its positive traits, which include a seamless drivetrain, well-made cabin and reasonable pricing vis-a-vis its rivals, it makes the thought of owning this subcompact saloon a cheerful one.

From torque singapore. Go try accent cvt

I would be tempted to try it if I passed by Hyundai's showroom. If what they (Torque) described was true, then I think Hyundai got a sub-90K winner here.

The understeer I think would dial out with a little more tyre pressures up front and maybe camber adjustments, and maybe better aftermarket shocks. Afterall, we do not expect an entry level car to handle like a 3 series but this Hyundai have definitely come a long way since the older Verna, which was an absolutely crappy drive.

• Praise 1

I would be tempted to try it if I passed by Hyundai's showroom. If what they (Torque) described was true, then I think Hyundai got a sub-90K winner here.

The understeer I think would dial out with a little more tyre pressures up front and maybe camber adjustments, and maybe better aftermarket shocks. Afterall, we do not expect an entry level car to handle like a 3 series but this Hyundai have definitely come a long way since the older Verna, which was an absolutely crappy drive.

Vena crappy drive eh? But if this new accent compared with last time accent generation, should be better ride also?

Vena crappy drive eh? But if this new accent compared with last time accent generation, should be better ride also?

I believe my previous ride, 2005 Accent, was last of the Accent generation in Singapore.

It was really a good car, quite poorly equipped, but you pay for what you get and also means less things to go wrong in time. It was one of the cheapest then, with COE at $15k, even cheaper than Vios. Served me well for 10 straight years, just recently scrapped. No major problems except for shock absorbers. I don't think you will go wrong with the current generation Accent as well. It seems even better, but it should be, looking at the cars it compete with.

Hyundai, or Korean cars in general, have come a long way. Way to go.

Edited by FinalNitro
  • Praise 1

I believe my previous ride, 2005 Accent, was last of the Accent generation in Singapore.

It was really a good car, quite poorly equipped, but you pay for what you get and also means less things to go wrong in time. It was one of the cheapest then, with COE at $15k, even cheaper than Vios. Served me well for 10 straight years, just recently scrapped. No major problems except for shock absorbers. I don't think you will go wrong with the current generation Accent as well. It seems even better, but it should be, looking at the cars it compete with.

Hyundai, or Korean cars in general, have come a long way. Way to go.

Accent all along quite a popular model in the 2000s, afterall accent should be not bad car la.

• Praise 2

Accent all along quite a popular model in the 2000s, afterall accent should be not bad car la.

One of the most budget and affordable car in the market, then and now as well I believe. The current generation Accent that Komoco bring in very good already, compared to what they brought in 10 years back.

China cars are totally out of the question please hahaha. Just a no.

Hyundai, or Korean cars in general,

have come a long way. Way to go.

Yah, now Accent 2014 comes equipped with the following which was missing in Accent 2005.

6 speed manual transmission

1. 4 wheels disc brakes.

2. ABS with brake force distribution and brake assist.

3. Electronic Stability Control

4. 4 door power window

5. Two front air bags.

6. Side repeaters on car side mirrors

7. USB / Aux connection for audio input

8. 2 cigarette lighter sockets.

9. Rear knock down seats.

10. Leather seats.

I believe the above were all missing from the extreme bare bones Accent 2005.

Edited by Ivan_06

Yah, now Accent 2014 comes equipped with the following which was missing in Accent 2005.

6 speed manual transmission

1. 4 wheels disc brakes.

4. 4 door power window

5. Two front air bags.

7. USB / Aux connection for audio input

8. 2 cigarette lighter sockets.

10. Leather seats.

I believe the above were all missing from the extreme bare bones Accent 2005.

2005 Accent.

6 5 speed manual transmission
1. 4 2 wheels disc brake for front, rear drums.
4. 4 door power window
5. Two front air bags.
7. USB / Aux connection for audio input (aftermarket set)
8. 2 1 cigarette lighter sockets.
10. Leather seats. (available as option, but not 100% leather)
But it's been 10 years, no surprises here. Plus I'm quite sure Komoco, then, brought in the bare bone version to save cost, hence making it the cheapest in the market.

However, current Accent is more squeezy on the inside when compared to the 2005 Accent..

Is it? Didn't realise. We didn't really try the Accent, only Elantra. Wanted to go for a bigger car, especially in width, because kids all grown up already.

↡ Advertisement