Southampton rakes in 120m euros this summer

Scion

wah Southampton tua huat ah

120 million euros!

even relegate also never mind

Southampton brought in more money than any club in Europe, with the sales of Luke Shaw, Calum Chambers, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert helping them bank 120 million euros, seven million more than Real received as players including Di Maria and Xabi Alonso left the Bernabeu.

http://www.espnfc.com/?cc=4716#story/2025545/report-manchester-united-in-second-highest-ever-summer-spending-spree

↡ Advertisement

much better than Arsenal

cos Southampton not expected to challenge for the title or qualify for Europe

expected to survive and stay in the Premier League only

anyway with so much money, relegate also worhwhile

Arsenal to be

much better than Arsenal

cos Southampton not expected to challenge for the title or qualify for Europe

expected to survive and stay in the Premier League only

anyway with so much money, relegate also worhwhile

i think tv right got 40m only right? then plus sponsor and bpl bonus still less than 120m.

Turbocharged

i think few can predict Southampton can do so well in the league (at least for now) despite selling many of their best players in the summer

No one forced St Mary's club to sell best players, such as Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren to Liverpool, says Brendan Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers says he has no sympathy for Southampton, claiming they gave up their ambition to be a Champions League club and decided to cash in on their players.

Five players have left St Mary's this summer, with Rodgers signing three for Liverpool in Adam Lallana (for £25 million), Dejan Lovren (£20m) and Rickie Lambert (£4m).

"They have a choice as a club," Rodgers said of Liverpool's opponents on Sunday at Anfield. "They don't have to sell. You have a choice. Maybe Southampton's objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe. They obviously wanted to change. I suppose Liverpool have taken three players but Arsenal have taken a player [defender Calum Chambers for £16m], Manchester United have taken a player [England international Luke Shaw for £27m]. There might be one or two others who leave. It's just the way it works.

"We were after a certain type of player that fits the profile and the mould of the way we play. They played in a similar mould to us, so the players understand the pressing, the intensity and the possession so, I don't have sympathy, no.

"Don't get me wrong, Southampton is a great club. But so was Swansea [Rodgers' old club]. Swansea have produced a young player in Ben Davies and he's now gone to Tottenham. It's the nature of it. The players will want to compete at the highest level they possibly can.

"Luke Shaw was probably disappointed and sad to leave Southampton but he's gone to what he would deem to be a bigger club.

"The guys have come here because of the status of Liverpool and Champions League football. And it's hard to deny players that and that will always be the case; young talents coming through at clubs. The clubs will do the very best they can.

i think few can predict Southampton can do so well in the league (at least for now) despite selling many of their best players in the summer

I also predicted at the start of the season that Southampton would struggle due to the loss of so many players and their manager but what do I know? 2nd in the table!!! Wow just wow, well done and goes to show that it's not always about buying star players but a good academy counts as well, congrats!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5