Do we dress appropriately in public?

Jman888

Stef, make an effort, okay?
The New PaperThursday, Aug 14, 2014
20140813_stef_tnp_0.jpg
She dazzles fans worldwide with her over-the-top costumes and powerful vocals.
And local songstress Stefanie Sun was in the spotlight again last week, but for a less glam reason.
The 36-year-old mother-of-one was snapped queuing at a local fast food restaurant recently, dressed sloppily in a T-shirt, shorts and slippers, with unkempt hair and a pair of black-rimmed spectacles perched on her nose.
The unflattering shot made its rounds online, prompting many to label Sun "the heartland aunty".
Sun's reaction? A light-hearted response on her personal Twitter feed.
The singer uploaded an edited version of the same photo last Thursday, with a crown drawn over her head and the words, "So Beautiful OK", splashed across the picture.
Yes, it is cool that our very own home-grown talent has a sense of humour and is able to make light of the situation.
But Sun, really?
Showing up in THAT outfit in public when you are Asia's Mandopop Queen?
Thankfully, Singapore does not have paparazzi trawling the streets, on the prowl for its next celebrity page-one-worthy tabloid snap.
Obligation
As a (very) known public figure, Sun has an obligation to put some effort into how she looks in public.
She needs to set a good example for her fans, especially the younger ones. A burden, sure, but one that any celebrity has to carry on his/her back.
We are used to seeing Sun in her glitzy costumes and heavy make-up. Showing up in public looking like THAT only creates unnecessary fodder for netizens. And like it or not, keyboard warriors are infamous for their harsh shoot-from-the-hip response.
I am not suggesting that Sun step into the fast food joint dressed like a getai singer, complete with stiletto heels.
Celebs should have their downtime too, and there are probably many times when they just want to let their hair down and be like normal people.
For example, a few months ago, Taiwanese diva Jolin Tsai, 33 - who is known for her sexy image - was caught on camera looking frumpy as she shopped in Korea with unkempt hair and an ill-fitting shirt.
The photo drew much criticism from fans, who felt that she should have dressed up due to her celebrity status.
In Hollywood, celebrities are often snapped by paparazzi looking unglamorous in tracksuits while on their coffee runs.
But while they should have their downtime, celebrities should at least put some effort into how they look when they appear in a place as public as a fast food restaurant.
The least someone like Sun could do is to style her hair a little, and throw on a nicer top.
Or, at the very least, show that she tried.

but i admire her bo chap attitude [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Not like she's going out wearing t-shirts with holes in them.

my sis was at the same convocation ceremony as her. She wore flipflops onto the stage.

• Praise 1

She was trying to camo so nobody can recognize her :ph34r: :ph34r:

i think i wouldn't have recognised her lol.

you don't expect a tai tai to be in macdonalds lol.

Turbocharged

It is ironic that The New Paper was thankful that there isn't any paparazzi in Singapore and yet they are doing just the same [rolleyes]

aiya ...........give her some private space also mah................she also human wor.............go McD what want her to wear leh.............. [laugh] [laugh]

I always make it a point to look good during working hours............weekend you see me is a like a caveman ............ [:p][laugh]

• Praise 7

It is ironic that The New Paper was thankful that there isn't any paparazzi in Singapore and yet they are doing just the same [rolleyes]

what TNP mean is it is thankful because that means no competitions for them mah......... [:p][laugh]

TNP just trying to ride on this pic... But this already quite old news already. Most people already saw it first time on the social media...

WTH...That's the way S'porean dress lor. Blame it on the weather!!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

TNP just trying to ride on this pic... But this already quite old news already. Most people already saw it first time on the social media...

WTH...That's the way S'porean dress lor. Blame it on the weather!!

TNP expects us to wear suit even when doing grocery shopping. I GPGT :ph34r:

post-4638-0-19704700-1407992012_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Hypersonic

Your hand very smooth wor ^_^

Another T2 wannabe spotted.

Dey wrong hand lah. Snap the watch hand. :D

A cigar or two - not so tastefully placed in the background - can't hurt either. [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Your hand very smooth wor ^_^

I put vaseline everynight. Radx cannot take too rough a fisting. It will worsen his piles muayhahaha

Only Casio G Shock :D

At least she's still singaporean.

Flipflops and shorts.

"So beautiful ok". Lol speak like lian.

I sarpork.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

its only a bmw leh........

A cigar or two - not so tastefully placed in the background - can't hurt either. [laugh]

Only Casio G Shock :D

this one?

even MRG-8100R is 6k usd.. still very exp to me... [bigcry]

post-126263-0-78664800-1407992748.jpg

Edited by SuPerBoRed
↡ Advertisement