Most neighbours just say 'hi' and 'bye'

Darthrevan

Bottomline is that nowadays many people like to mind their own business, or told to do so.

Problem is always due to lack of trust. And also lack of common space.

Many people spend almost all the time of the day either at work or cooped up in their homes. Hardly come out and do some activity.

I've read somewhere that a good idea for mingling and conversations would be to break up the HDB flat lift journeys into sections - this is especially applicable to the taller flats spanning 30 or 40 storeys.

Instead of going straight up or down, say, from 30th storey to ground floor, etc., it's better to make the lifts go from 1-10, then 10-20, 20-30, etc. with sub-lobbies like "interchanges". This forces people to spend some time waiting, and conversations will eventually develop after bumping into each other for couple of times.

Then people will start to complain it's inefficient.

We are taught to be efficient. Now the hot topic is efficiency in the workplace [gossip]

↡ Advertisement

Wahh ... You damn Old ... I don't want to talk to you already ... 😂

can you two old fart get a room? [:p]

The bugger kopi oso wait till durian drop

Suspect he will see me in the coffin. ..haaaaaaa

And ya u cannot join

U belong in old folks hm haha

Supercharged

Precisely. Tolerant neighbours are already a reason to be thankful... Still want to be close enough to pass the house-keys and lend/borrow stuff?? [laugh]

I'm not surprised by the findings. But let's be realistic, there must be some common ground between your neighbour and you (e.g. perhaps same age group, same job sector, etc.) before there can be good communication.

I try to talk to the chio girl from the unit at the other end, but she still look at me like weirdo before I even open my mouth... maybe should show her this article?? [laugh]

Your face handsome or not? [laugh]

The bugger kopi oso wait till durian drop

Suspect he will see me in the coffin. ..haaaaaaa

Ok lar, when I settle the Perth trip & come back we arrange one big gathering so we can say, "Hello" ...

We don't need to be neighbors to say "Hi" ... Forum Buddies also can ... [laugh]

But if Porker is coming must wear 2 - 3 underwear ...

Turbocharged

Ok lar, when I settle the Perth trip & come back we arrange one big gathering so we can say, "Hello" ...

We don't need to be neighbors to say "Hi" ... Forum Buddies also can ... [laugh]

But if Porker is coming must wear 2 - 3 underwear ...

I don't wear shirt so you can play with my nipples [laugh]

Supercharged

The MaMa Shop you referring to is from this block right ... [laugh]

5c8a0bb4-b0e7-471f-abad-d83161fa3507_zps

Confirm MCF has alot of old farts lurking around.............. [laugh][laugh]

Where the hell is this place??!!!!!

Not me hor, my time got color photo liao, I think he must be very old to keep these black n white photos [laugh] [laugh]

I don't wear shirt so you can play with my nipples [laugh]

Your tight tight shirt again har ... Got new pattern boh ... 😂

Radx's Kampong ... He damn old lar ... 😂

Bottomline is that nowadays many people like to mind their own business, or told to do so.

Problem is always due to lack of trust. And also lack of common space.

Many people spend almost all the time of the day either at work or cooped up in their homes. Hardly come out and do some activity.

I've read somewhere that a good idea for mingling and conversations would be to break up the HDB flat lift journeys into sections - this is especially applicable to the taller flats spanning 30 or 40 storeys.

Instead of going straight up or down, say, from 30th storey to ground floor, etc., it's better to make the lifts go from 1-10, then 10-20, 20-30, etc. with sub-lobbies like "interchanges". This forces people to spend some time waiting, and conversations will eventually develop after bumping into each other for couple of times.

Might as well build 2 lifts on both end of the block, each one alternate every 5 stories. [nod]

Do it this way, you will surely know those live on all floors divisible by 5 one.

If my neighbour looks like this (middle), I say more than Hi and Bye lah....

Ii0krHs.jpg

More like "Wham bam goodbye ma'am"... [laugh]

(edited)

If people don't want to talk, see face-to-face, there is no use to build SMLJ creative lifts that purportledly will make people communicate lah. Lets get real.

You walk into any lifts, people start busy googling on their phones or pads and the first reaction for most standing besides the buttons is to jab jab jab the Door Closing button. [laugh]

Last time, during 90's, HDB also built some flats with "staggered" balcony for people to communicate (e.g. 10 storey neigbour can talk to 9th storey neigbour 'cos balcany is "crooked" and "staggered". But, what I see for all is, all kena fenced up and some were used as storage areas.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Neighbours may exchange greetings and make small talk, but that's as far as many Singaporeans go.
Displays of trust, such as looking after house keys or lending and borrowing items, are seldom heard of in Housing Board estates.

I think this is terrible and we should try to be better neighbours.

But talk is cheap and we should set an example.

No point people saying we should be this or be that.

We should lead by example.

I for one want to be a good neighbour.

Anyone is most welcome to pass me your house keys and

I will use it to borrow your things.

:D

(edited)

Not forgetting to ask your neighbours to pass you the car key as well. [:p]

Yah lah, if people go on holiday and need me to start the car,

I will most gladly help out.

Don't want to come back and find cannot start the car cos

of flat battery right?

I am always happy to help.

Neighbours may exchange greetings and make small talk, but that's as far as many Singaporeans go.
Displays of trust, such as looking after house keys or lending and borrowing items, are seldom heard of in Housing Board estates.

I wonder if they consider cash an item?

I thot there is lot of borrowing and lending that in HDBs?

I keep seeing 0$ Pay$ on the walls.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement