Sightings of tropical swallowtail moth

Jman888

saw 1 outside my home 2 days ago.

I saw 2 yesterday. 1 in my house toilet n another outside when I went out. [sweatdrop]

Maybe one of my dead relative following me around. If wan to give me 6 nos for the $5Mil TOTO draw ok. But dun come call me to join u hor. [angel]

↡ Advertisement

I saw one yesterday evening just outside my MIL's place. So far this is the 2nd time I have spotted one. The last time I saw one is last year also around my MIL's place.

Moths are nocturnal creatures. So to me this is common. Yeah, older folks like to say it's supernatural stuff. But I dun think so lah.

If u look at the back of the moths back u sud see the image of a skull there. [shocked]

no please dun tell you kids that they are your great-great-grandfather, grand uncles or grand aunties :D

oh and they are not butterflies [laugh]

I tot these r known as Atlas Moths? [confused]

Twincharged

Bros,

last time when small my mother say dun disturb the moth or else they'll release their white powder to poison you... so we all small that time dun dare come near the moth or touch it... really got such thing ah? But sometimes when I accidently step on a moth now, I noticed there seems to be some powdery stuff on their squashed body.. so is my mum telling us the truth??? :huh:

Yes there's powder off the wings. I don't think it's poisonous, just itchy for some who are allergic to it.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Yes there's powder off the wings. I don't think it's poisonous, just itchy for some who are allergic to it.

those power are tiny scales... no poison but will cause allergy to some ppl...

• Praise 1

most importantly, how to chase them away?

why i ask? Cos theres one big one in my living room, above me where i m typing this,,,,,

most importantly, how to chase them away?

why i ask? Cos theres one big one in my living room, above me where i m typing this,,,,,

Switch off all your house lights.

Leave your front door open and let the corridor light shine into your house. Then use a stick or coil a newspaper (1 sheet) and slowly slide from the front of the moth. If it crawl onto the newspaper, remove it by walking to the door. If not, the moth will fly away the moment you slide the newspaper, they will fly straight to where there is light .... [sly]

For better result, open your metal door grill also cos the moth might hit onto one of the bar and fly back in..... [sweatdrop]

Those stays along the common corridor much easier cos they just open the windows & grills wide.. They will fly toward the lighted areas.

• Praise 2

Leave your front door open and let the corridor light shine into your house. Then use a stick or coil a newspaper (1 sheet) and slowly slide from the front of the moth. If it crawl onto the newspaper, remove it by walking to the door. If not, the moth will fly away the moment you slide the newspaper, they will fly straight to where there is light .... [sly]

For better result, open your metal door grill also cos the moth might hit onto one of the bar and fly back in..... [sweatdrop]

Those stays along the common corridor much easier cos they just open the windows & grills wide.. They will fly toward the lighted areas.

老鸟不愧是老鸟。。。。 [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

老鸟不愧是老鸟。。。。 [thumbsup]

When I stayed in kampong, we used to light a brighter bulb (120 watt) on a tree about 10 meters away from our house. The light will attrach all kind of insects to that tree and for the house, we used the 25 watts bulb, not so bright but still got one or two hero appear ..... [:p]

• Praise 1

must close all the bedroom door first, if not it fly into the bedroom and you dun have to sleep liao [laugh][laugh]

Turbocharged
(edited)

I tot these r known as Atlas Moths? [confused]

Atlas moths more scary. I think even I will freak out..

atlas+moth.jpg

Edited by Pocus

Supercharged

Yeah, 2 nights ago, i got one flew into my home. Rested there for whole night. I didnt wan to chase it away, coz i felt it needed a shelter somewhere to rest.

coming to midnight, when the whole family needed to sleep, i just off all the lights, open the main door so that the corridor lights shine in (i know it's attracted to lights). After awhile, it flew out and perched itself near the lights.

Morning came, i went to check it out. It was still there!

saw one last night near to my blk mail box area... it is quite big and my wife still argue it is a butterfly...

what school your wife went to? [laugh]

• Praise 2

Are these moth sightings an omen? :ph34r:

you another one, spend so much money for you to study yet can ask this type of question [shakehead]

[laugh][laugh]

Atlas moths more scary. I think even I will freak out..

atlas+moth.jpg

Atlas Moth - World's Largest Moth Never Eats

atlas-moth.jpg

It is not entirely certain where the atlas gets its name from: it could be from its huge size, with reference to atlas of Greek mythology, or it could refer to the patterns on its wings, which resemble maps in an atlas. In Hong Kong, the Cantonese name for it is “snake's head moth”. This refers to the snake-like shape of the pattern on the top wing tips.

Largest Species of Moth

Atlas moths are the largest species of moth in the world. The females have bigger, heavier bodies than males and larger wingspans too, ranging from 25 to 30 cm (10 to 12 inches), with a surface area of at least 400 cm² (62 sq in). Despite their huge size, the moths do not eat anything once they hatch from their cocoons. Both males and females lack fully-formed mouth parts; they rely on the sustenance they build up as caterpillars, for stored energy. They only live as hatched moths for two to three weeks.

atlas-moths.jpg

The natural habitat of the atlas moth, is Southeast Asia, particularly around the Malay archipelago. They do not fly far from where they hatch, since they are very inelegant fliers and do not have enough energy stored for long journeys. They live purely to breed, so the fact that they do not venture far from their hatching area, allows for easy mating to occur.

atlas-moth-detail.jpg

There are some species of moth with longer wings, but the atlas moth has, on average, the largest wingspan in terms of area. These moths belong to the Satuniidae family. Other moths that belong to that family, include another impressive specimen - the luna moth.

The Atlas Moth Caterpillar

The atlas moth caterpillar has to eat a huge amount of food, to store enough fat for life as an adult moth. They eat citrus, willow leaves, and evergreen tree leaves. In India, the silk from the caterpillars is not farmed commercially, but the characteristic brown silk is used in a small-scale capacity. It is known as fagara, and is more durable than regular silkworm moth silk. The cocoons are sometimes used as purses or handbags in Taiwan.

The caterpillars hatch from small eggs that are laid on the underside of leaves. They hatch within two weeks and feed until they are about 115 mm (4.5 in), before pupating. The caterpillar has spines that are soft and fleshy, which protrude upwards from its back. They are coated with a white, waxy layer.

Supercharged
what school your wife went to? [laugh]

Confirmed not some entomology school... she is just being the woman she is [lipsrsealed] ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1