Not many takers for Nee Soon South smoking 'sheds'

Darthrevan

ST_20140120_DESMOKE20_4004585e.jpg
Volunteer anti-smoking advocates Irene Tan, 50 (left), and Fanny Oei, 43, giving out flyers near Nee Soon South Community Club. They are among 20 volunteers helping to raise awareness about the smoke-free zone.

Two weeks into the new smoke-free zone in Nee Soon South, Singapore's first to be led by the grassroots, smokers are still not budging.
When resident volunteers trained by the Health Promotion Board (HPB) took to the streets for the first time on Thursday night to cajole smokers into using the six smoking "sheds" rather than puff away in the open, some listened out of politeness while others scurried away from them.
Sporting T-shirts emblazoned with "I Love Quitters" on the front, four middle-aged volunteers - all non-smokers - gamely made their way around Nee Soon South Zone D's 28 blocks to speak to smokers.
The smoke-free zone covers communal spaces in the area, including Yishun Stadium and Yishun Sports and Recreation Centre. It is part of a one-year pilot that may be extended throughout Nee Soon South if residents support it.
Edited by Darthrevan
↡ Advertisement

Why confined oneself in a shed when they figured out how to beat the system. Keep walking and smoking at the same time, along void decks and public walkways. No one will bother to stop them as they would be walking away from you eventually, though leaving a trail of second-hand smoke behind.

Edited by Toothiewabbit

I think it's more beneficial if the volunteers themselves were former smokers who had kicked the habit. Then perhaps they'd be more convincing.

As it is, this campaign is really not about concern for smokers' health, but more towards avoiding their second-hand smoke from going everywhere... by grouping them all in a shed.

IMHO they should put this 'shed' at workplaces where there are currently no proper smoking areas. Or at tertiary institutions where undeniably there are a substantial number of smokers but who have no proper and legal place to smoke! [laugh]

• Praise 1

Sinkapor smoking 'sheds' in a warm humid tropical country

syDSPs05012014e.jpg

Japan's smoking booth in a cool temperate country..comes with air-conditioning

picture-002.jpg

stark contrast between 1st and 3rd world

syDSPs05012014e.jpg

picture-002.jpg

The lady at the corner also first world.

Oredi collected so much tax from cigs. Cant they built a proper enclosed shed ?

Just like collecting car coe......the money duno disappear where.

What a wayang show in yishun.

• Praise 1

picture-002.jpg

Can someone send this picture to Yishun Town Council ... [sly]

and show them how it should be done.

ST_20140120_DESMOKE20_4004585e.jpg

Volunteer anti-smoking advocates Irene Tan, 50 (left), and Fanny Oei, 43, giving out flyers near Nee Soon South Community Club. They are among 20 volunteers helping to raise awareness about the smoke-free zone.

The old man on the left looks like showing his left middle finger to the volunteer ..... [lipsrsealed]

Old Man: "Wah sheo hun chuay kuay lu chiak be", 'Wa chit kee kar jeep kua char leow, boh shao hun, kio wa cho simi..... [grin]

Stewpid idea from a stupid MP who coat-tailed into parliament.

Anybody with even 1/4 of a brain could tell you that farking selfish smokers are never going to do this. Just blardy farting around trying to make news to get face into papers.

Instead should just ask the RC to arrange more events for her

• Praise 1

Stewpid idea from a stupid MP who coat-tailed into parliament.

Anybody with even 1/4 of a brain could tell you that farking selfish smokers are never going to do this. Just blardy farting around trying to make news to get face into papers.

Instead should just ask the RC to arrange more events for her

Was the MP LBW accompanied the volumteers?

I dunno I wasn't there...

but I would expect so...standard practise for this sort of thing is for word to come down from on high that the RC "has" to provide volunteers to "support your advisor" It is always phrased that way, you are always supporting the advisor, not doing something with your MP.

Why phrased that way? Because PA is by law apolitical - they cannot support an MP, but they are allowed to support and help the advisor in making the district "better"

I dunno I wasn't there...

but I would expect so...standard practise for this sort of thing is for word to come down from on high that the RC "has" to provide volunteers to "support your advisor" It is always phrased that way, you are always supporting the advisor, not doing something with your MP.

Why phrased that way? Because PA is by law apolitical - they cannot support an MP, but they are allowed to support and help the advisor in making the district "better"

as an ex-smoker veteran, I think their efforts are applaudable but completely useless...

generally smokers are not the most obedience... the habit and addiction is hard to kick even if one wanted to.

once the cravin kicks in, public consciousness takes second place

I will probably be zapped, but to be effective,

1. take the glam out of smoking

2. tax even more (x10)

• Praise 1

The simple question is: are smokers breaking the law by doing it out in the open? If so, the police should come down and round them up. That'll make quick work of the problem.

If, on the other hand, it's about "showing consideration", then good luck. Waste of time, effort and money. It'll be a cold day in hell before Singaporeans in general, let alone Singaporeans who are smokers, will act considerate toward others.

↡ Advertisement