Flashback from the 80s to 90s

BabyBlade

Some of the games we played in the 70's - 80's.

(a)

- bottle caps

- 'tigam' plastic figurines

- erasers (and yes the world flag erasers were in hot demand)

the point was to push your unit over the opponent's and win both

(b) marbles. of course

You'd draw a circle in the sand, then throw marbles into the circle hoping to knock the opponent's out

© buzz saw toy - you got these from snack packets in plastic, spun them up rapidly between your hands and tried to 'defeat' your opponent's spin. They got suspended after some broke through abuse and supposedly injured a few kids' eyes

Buzz-Saw.jpg

(d) wooden top

IMG_8223_Wood_Top_D_RSD.jpg?588

(e) 'exploding' darts

You took a metal dart board dart (children could buy these from the provision shop!) and removed the long metal needle. You then scraped the brown stuff off matches into the hole and covered the hole with a metal nail, sharp side into the hole, held in place with a rubber band. When you threw the dart upwards, it would land with a loud bang

(f) string. 'nuf said

five_p_star.gif

(g) hopscotch

800px-TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG

We even had fun without toys

- lived in a 'classic' HDB block, single rectangle with stairs on both sides. Multi-floor catching, anyone?

- Jump rope - sometimes rope that the neighbourhood shops would discard, or sometimes made with rubber bands painstakingly collected. Two persons would hold the rope at increasingly high levels. I remember playing these in the HDB stair landings where an overenthusiastic jump would have literally taken us down the steps...

- 'tor-beh-long' - where you used lines on the ground (e.g. badminton court) as the safe paths for 'catching' games - no one was allowed to step off the lines.

- in heavy rainfall, there was a constant stream of rainwater flooding the steps and 2nd floor balconies. We used to make paper boats and set them into the stream

- there were still fish in 'long gao' to catch...

An apt username for this thread.

↡ Advertisement

Last time not well off, parents say can buy toy really think and think and think which one to buy.

I remember my father say can buy 1 Centurions figure, I considered at home for days, tot I made a decision and went to Emporium, still ended up spending over an hour more considering whether to buy Ace McCloud or Jake Rockwell. I still have the figure complete with the original box, so precious to me.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I thought you girl girl like to play with these [:p]

I did like Barbie Dolls before but that was before Child's Play and Dolly were released. Shit scared of those killer dolls that I got my mum to send all my dolls including barbie dolls to my cousin in Malaysia. Chucky f**ked my childhood big time.

Stopped becoming girly ever since. Haha.

I don't think so, I thought you are xmm?

I was born in the late 70s (Toa Payoh Hospital crew represent!) and i'm in my mid-30s now.

Maybe because I still haven't grown up yet and i'm basically a very, very overgrown child.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

I'm not a xmm. But we definitely have more than 10 years of age gap between us.

Digimon was also the in thing during my primary sch days. Every recess time was spent battling with my other school mates. Teddymon was the favorite. Idk if anyone here played digimon before lol.

bang bang bang !! or rather pwuish pwuish

attachicon.gifwesternbar.jpg

I also got this ATAS one !! :D

attachicon.gifTomy-3DJungleFighter.jpg

Most of the toys in these threads are very high-tech to me..... I low budget n low-tech, only played with my k..... oops, better not say it...

I remember also using old tyre inner tube as float and swam at the beach at old Katong Park where ECP / Fort Road are today.

Edited by Maseratigood
  • Praise 1

Yeah all so atas. My time only play this

I came from a poor family also

Western bar was inaccessible to me in the same way like I cannot afford a rolls royce now

Now that my life is better , I hope I buy back this piece of memory

how many of you got this ?? [:)]

attachicon.gifil_570xN.486595760_iyu8.jpg

i still have this in my drawer!!

diff model though.

Games for boys..

1) Hamtum bola!!!

2) One leg

3) The big white marble thing.. can't rem what it's called

4) Big scale hide n seek (maybe not all.. but we played whole estate. haha)

5) anymore??

i played moonwalker and shadow dancer until my late dad's tv changed color...became very reddish and then blue...me n my twin brother kana scolded upside down. He disallowed us from playing it on the the new tv.....funny siak. Now my son got PS 3 oso bo hiu lan...he prefers to play with his friends on the internet.

i think thete was a also a zombie game...but i forgot the title liao.

I played Golden Axe, the graphic was way ahead of it's time. And then there was this motorcycle game where you can kick people off their bikes etc. Seems to ride Kawasakis even if the game was rather generic.

I played Golden Axe, the graphic was way ahead of it's time. And then there was this motorcycle game where you can kick people off their bikes etc. Seems to ride Kawasakis even if the game was rather generic.

That should be road rash....i played that during the Playstation era.

That should be road rash....i played that during the Playstation era.

Yeah! I think so. The graphic is bad by today's standard but the idea of kicking people off their bike was everybody's dream. [laugh][laugh]

Yeah! I think so. The graphic is bad by today's standard but the idea of kicking people off their bike was everybody's dream. [laugh][laugh]

that game was epic....i like to bash the hells angel group....squeeze them to one side and make them collide with the oncoming traffic.

Last time not well off, parents say can buy toy really think and think and think which one to buy.

I remember my father say can buy 1 Centurions figure, I considered at home for days, tot I made a decision and went to Emporium, still ended up spending over an hour more considering whether to buy Ace McCloud or Jake Rockwell. I still have the figure complete with the original box, so precious to me.

wah kaoz....u still remember the names ah... (Y)

Ace is Air type, Jake is Land type right?

i like green colour so i bought the Sea type... :D wats the name?

• Praise 2

I have seen it before at Biscuit King....

BiscuitKing.com.sg

130 Casuarina Road

Singapore 579518

They sell old school tidbits and also some of the old school toys....

Thank you lingling.. i'm getting this for my nephew.

Cheers.

Some of the games we played in the 70's - 80's.

(a)

- bottle caps

- 'tigam' plastic figurines

- erasers (and yes the world flag erasers were in hot demand)

the point was to push your unit over the opponent's and win both

(b) marbles. of course

You'd draw a circle in the sand, then throw marbles into the circle hoping to knock the opponent's out

© buzz saw toy - you got these from snack packets in plastic, spun them up rapidly between your hands and tried to 'defeat' your opponent's spin. They got suspended after some broke through abuse and supposedly injured a few kids' eyes

(d) wooden top

(e) 'exploding' darts

You took a metal dart board dart (children could buy these from the provision shop!) and removed the long metal needle. You then scraped the brown stuff off matches into the hole and covered the hole with a metal nail, sharp side into the hole, held in place with a rubber band. When you threw the dart upwards, it would land with a loud bang

(f) string. 'nuf said

(g) hopscotch

800px-TiuFeiKei(Hopscotch)_pattern.JPG

We even had fun without toys

- lived in a 'classic' HDB block, single rectangle with stairs on both sides. Multi-floor catching, anyone?

- Jump rope - sometimes rope that the neighbourhood shops would discard, or sometimes made with rubber bands painstakingly collected. Two persons would hold the rope at increasingly high levels. I remember playing these in the HDB stair landings where an overenthusiastic jump would have literally taken us down the steps...

- 'tor-beh-long' - where you used lines on the ground (e.g. badminton court) as the safe paths for 'catching' games - no one was allowed to step off the lines.

- in heavy rainfall, there was a constant stream of rainwater flooding the steps and 2nd floor balconies. We used to make paper boats and set them into the stream

- there were still fish in 'long gao' to catch...

I tink me and you same age.. hahahaha... ya.. we didn't have electronic watever toys, so we always played outdoors.. and apart from the above, we also played hide and seek around our house and play cheat and go home and hide... hahaha... in the end, the seeker cried bec he can't find us... hahaha... also we took tek ko and tried to pull the rambutans from the big house nearby, and any piece that we managed to grab was quickly gobbled up on the spot, lest the owner came and chased us off.. hahaha... those were the days...

I try not to let my kid play any electronic stuff (HP, ipad or computer) and most of the time is spent watch cartoon, drawing, dancing crazy, bicycle, play at playground, swimming etc... I dun want my kid to be attached to electronic stuff as I see many young children now glued to these elec stuff while their parents taking a break, and some very young kids already wearing specs liao.. haiz... [:(]

An apt username for this thread.

Thank you!

Thought it was a better nickname for me than '老不死‘ or 'oldfart' [grin]

I tink me and you same age.. hahahaha... ya.. we didn't have electronic watever toys, so we always played outdoors.. and apart from the above, we also played hide and seek around our house and play cheat and go home and hide... hahaha... in the end, the seeker cried bec he can't find us... hahaha... also we took tek ko and tried to pull the rambutans from the big house nearby, and any piece that we managed to grab was quickly gobbled up on the spot, lest the owner came and chased us off.. hahaha... those were the days...

I try not to let my kid play any electronic stuff (HP, ipad or computer) and most of the time is spent watch cartoon, drawing, dancing crazy, bicycle, play at playground, swimming etc... I dun want my kid to be attached to electronic stuff as I see many young children now glued to these elec stuff while their parents taking a break, and some very young kids already wearing specs liao.. haiz... [:(]

That's highly likely.

I try to ration my kids and their time with electronic gadgets. For one, the tablets/smartphones are kept with me till weekends and used only with permission. The PCs are in the family room, not their bedrooms, to prevent late-night gaming. It works right now with my 8/10 year olds, but they'll soon be running circles around these measure! [shakehead]

Max Ray.

Centurions and M.A.S.K were iconic cartoon of my time. Now I think the kids are poorer for not having those things. Ben 10, Pokimon all this I think cannot compare.

wah kaoz....u still remember the names ah... (Y)

Ace is Air type, Jake is Land type right?

i like green colour so i bought the Sea type... :D wats the name?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1