Ignition

Ninpeh

Was advised to wait for a minute or two after ignition before driving off.

And to wait for a while before turning off the engine.

Is there any basis to this "good practice"?

Also, is there any disadvantage when I drive off when it is show cool temperature indicator?

↡ Advertisement

I only do the 1-2 min wait on a cold start in the morning when I go to work. Reason being lubricants settle down over the night. The wait is basically for the lubricants to circulate before I move off. Some ppl will say wait for engine to warm up so as to reduce wear & tear on engine parts. Which is true but drive off slowly and not revving above 3k rpm can do the job as well. I ever saw some ah pek rev their engine in order to warm up the engine on their toyotas. This is not recommended as it will do more wear & tear especially on a cold start. Let the engine warm up gradually.

For the rest of the day I dun care unless I stop my car for more dan 8 hours.

Wait a while before turn engine off. It depends, if I was driving enthusiastically before I parked my car I would wait a while for a "warm down".

By the time ur car reach the bottom of the MSCP, it would have already warmed up. Just drive off slow and avoid over-revving.

Also, is there any disadvantage when I drive off when it is show cool temperature indicator?

After starting the engine(when its cold) its a good idea to wait abt 1-2 mins for the oil to circulate around the engine for lubrication.

U can drive off but slow n do not hard rev till the engine has warmed up a bit(maybe 5-10 mins). I usually wait till now to switch on the AC. Fan can b switched on b4 u start to drive off.

Modern cars u dun need to wait till the engine is hot b4 u drive. In fact u wil b wasting petrol like that. Just drive slowly till the engine is warmed up. Also driving slowly wil actually help to warm up the engine faster.

After u reach yr destination u can switch off the engine immediately. No point waiting awhile. Just switch off all equip like AC, lights, etc first.

Just start and go....just go easy on the accelerator until the engine warms up. I've been doing this to all the cars I owned without any problems. Turning off is the same, no need to wait.

Some others may suggest switching off the aircon after turning off engine and switching it back on after engine is started....to me, this is redundant since 20 years ago when ECUs became popular. It automatically keeps the aircon compressor in the off state until about 10s after engine started to reduce load to the starter during engine starts.

Supercharged

After starting the engine(when its cold) its a good idea to wait abt 1-2 mins for the oil to circulate around the engine for lubrication.

U can drive off but slow n do not hard rev till the engine has warmed up a bit(maybe 5-10 mins). I usually wait till now to switch on the AC. Fan can b switched on b4 u start to drive off.

Modern cars u dun need to wait till the engine is hot b4 u drive. In fact u wil b wasting petrol like that. Just drive slowly till the engine is warmed up. Also driving slowly wil actually help to warm up the engine faster.

After u reach yr destination u can switch off the engine immediately. No point waiting awhile. Just switch off all equip like AC, lights, etc first.

Your pattern is almost 98% identical to mine! Only exceptional is that I look at my temp gauge to reach (min) 1/4 bar then switch on AC.

Actually the best way to warm an engine up is to drive it, not let it idle.

yeah, MSCP wanna go fast also cannot. by the time all the merry go round and getting to the main road, half km gone liao.

coz i believe with the current technology, esp jap cars, it should already been designed to start and go for many years..

Your pattern is almost 98% identical to mine! Only exceptional is that I look at my temp gauge to reach (min) 1/4 bar then switch on AC.

Actually the best way to warm an engine up is to drive it, not let it idle.

Ya Ive been doing this since my first car I think.

Last time with older cars, I do wait till maybe temp reach first line(min) but when ty came with automatic choke for the carb, I dun wait so long cos the carb wil make the air/fuel mixture slightly rich so the car wun jerk when I drive off.

AC I also abt same cos by 5-10 mins, the temp gauge sud b at the first bar(min) already. Now with ECU, it sud automatically adjust the fuel mixture but I just feel better waiting till the engine is a bit warm b4 I put the extra load of the AC.

In fact I hv on a few occasions where necessary, open full throttle with a cold engine n it still pulled smoothly n powerfully all the way. Just that I dun feel good doing that cos the oil has not warmed up fully yet.

yeah, MSCP wanna go fast also cannot. by the time all the merry go round and getting to the main road, half km gone liao.

coz i believe with the current technology, esp jap cars, it should already been designed to start and go for many years..

Yes now with fuel injection n ECU doing all the thinking for u, its basically just start n go.

Just dun hard rev till the engine has warmed up a bit. Helps protect from excessive wear on the moving parts in the engine.

↡ Advertisement