True Story of a ex SAF regular

Little_prince

MOM is trying to reduce heavy reliant on foreign workers in the construction industry as some of the countries they are trying to model after Australia and Japan where the workers from bricklayers to electricians are all locals. And even with fewer workers, they could construct buildings as fast as us.

after so many years, how successful is BCA or MOM as of today?

↡ Advertisement

Yep, a lot of old Msian's jobs also kena taken by other FTs, don't say Singaporean jobs. As long as the employer can train an FT and pay him lesser (including levies and all) than a Singaporean / Malaysian, they will lor..

Lots of Malaysian not working in Singapore due to cost of living very high here.. and Malaysia has lots of jobs now. So if net of living expenses, they are earning just slightly lesser yet they can be close to family. Not companies don't wanna pay Malaysian.. in fact in SG, Malaysian and Singaporean and PR has similar employment opportunities.

(edited)

at this era, how can u survive with an O levels?

nowadays ppl treat O/N levels as toilet paper already.

min education must be diploma (even pte diploma also better chances).

i was an N level holder before NS... but after NS, I upgraded myself taking a pte diploma and move on to an aussie (distance learning) degree.

Edited by Newdrive

Especially in banking, a Malaysian can find job easily and bank will help apply employment pass, whereas a Indonesian has to be a PR to land the same job.

(edited)

1017196_508280915891895_1011152006_n.jpg

We heard many complaints , this not enough, that not enough after the problem surfaced. Y do we continue to be so reactive?

If this is a specific probem to a company, then no need to discuss.

If this is a nationwide shortage of skilled manpower, what is MND, BCA in specific doing all these while? Dun they forecast the contract volume of the construction industry year to year? Dun they know that the economic growth over the next 3-5 years? Dun they know that the population is growing to the worst case scenario of 6.9M which requires new infrastructure? Where are the plans ahead to train or import more competently trained skill construction personnel to support the growth? Surely, they have access to daily news, right?

Next from MOM - come the restriction of dependent upon foreign workers, the increase of foreign workers' levy in coming july etc. stifles the growth of the construction industry. Our construction industry continues to be heavily dependent on a manpower intensive industry. Yes, we have precast sector, these are mainly used in HDB projects and those large scale projects where there are volume.

Even our Iskandar is growing rapidly? Is there an impact on our reliance on this traditional supply source of skilled workers??????

many questions - seems like no answer.

I dun think the shortage of skilled manpower is limited to crane operator alone within the construction industry.

This is Singapore- our country is supposed to be the best in every metric aspects as our leadership is paid top dollars for this little small country.

Where are we today?

We have more malls

More kids angry with one another

Edited by Atonchia

i wont say so, i just wonder with his vast sea experience, he can easily work as sailor or seaman on commercial vessel

Vast experience as a zou bo lan regular?

Even outside commercial seamen needs certs.

We have more malls

More kids angry with one another

well, the more malls is to cater for the increased population in the coming years...

currently, there are signs that there is an oversupply of mall space.... look at Jurong Point... i found that there are several store have been occupied by those temporary garment discounts retail shops... it shows that JP has difficulties to find new tenants and the demand from the shoppers are not sustaining the shops...

Vast experience as a zou bo lan regular?

Even outside commercial seamen needs certs.

well, how about becoming private security contractor protecting the ship along the pirates infested regions...

these are good monies

many of them is like this. well.. i personally know 1 who is barely 24, highest quals is a nitec. signs on with navy. thinks he is the king of the world. refuse to upgrade himself. we shall see how the garment screws him in his arse

most navy regular gt car..must b v good pay..regret didnt sign on last time..

well, how about becoming private security contractor protecting the ship along the pirates infested regions...

these are good monies

If not wrong that one also need some form of certification.

I have sat in a taxi in Singapore driven by somebody from China. I am not sure if he is a new immigrant though.

did you happen to see around the taxi interior that he has a valid taxi license?

heard around my neighbourhood that some taxi dun wana drive whole shift and using new immigrants as relief drivers. They may have obtained the new ICs but still need a valid vocational taxt license to ply the trade.

Weirdo.. he could have disrupted his Navy career to get a diploma or degree, but he didn't.

act he not bad..can become ssg so fast only o level..

did you happen to see around the taxi interior that he has a valid taxi license?

heard around my neighbourhood that some taxi dun wana drive whole shift and using new immigrants as relief drivers. They may have obtained the new ICs but still need a valid vocational taxt license to ply the trade.

good luck to such rentor if found to be true.... very stupid move

they risk losing their taxi license if found to be flouting these rules... insurance will not cover in any accidents...

the stakes are high compared to the returns..

So he claims....

The last guy I sacked also say he's a gd worker, why I wanna retrench him?

Cut him some slack. He is sharing his experience and we should just hear him and give him the benefits of the doubt.

at this era, how can u survive with an O levels?

nowadays ppl treat O/N levels as toilet paper already.

min education must be diploma (even pte diploma also better chances).

i was an N level holder before NS... but after NS, I upgraded myself taking a pte diploma and move on to an aussie (distance learning) degree.

What make u think that?

Any personal bad experience?

Do u think u are better off now?

Turbocharged

Thanks TS for this thread as well as the reminder:

Need to constantly upgrade oneself, and need to have Plan B.

↡ Advertisement