True Story of a ex SAF regular

Little_prince

Cannot be meh. Then why ex-SAF senior officers regularly got posted to key position in government sectors?

yeah that only applies to those high flyer scholars....

those warrant officers then downgraded to become school administrators or discipline master if they are lucky enough..... no more iron rice bowl.

↡ Advertisement

Feel that our govt don't value those warrent officer or spec enough. Not all of them are lazy burm. They are just like most joe, wanting to feed family like everyone do. Like that who wan to sign on? Hear of those stories also scare Liao. Rather earn lesser in the start outside and work hard

Turbocharged

Our government may be naive, I do not think that they are that stupid enough to make such a politically suicide move.

They simply cannot afford to lose the votes from these group of taxi drivers as the opposition is gaining ground.

I have sat in a taxi in Singapore driven by somebody from China. I am not sure if he is a new immigrant though.

Turbocharged

i may be harsh but he got only himself to blame for not upgrading himself.

i wont say so, i just wonder with his vast sea experience, he can easily work as sailor or seaman on commercial vessel

Feel that our govt don't value those warrent officer or spec enough. Not all of them are lazy burm. They are just like most joe, wanting to feed family like everyone do. Like that who wan to sign on? Hear of those stories also scare Liao. Rather earn lesser in the start outside and work hard

Not all WOSE are lazy bums, but the mentality of most at my side there, is like "wu zou, bo zou, tan zhap hou" (hokkien, got do, no do, wait for 10th) , with the 10th of every month being payday.

A lot do til what they're supposed to do, nothing much more, as if do something outside job scope, and screw up, their career either henta-kaki, or say bye bye.

NMNHNBLM.

screw the regulars la. what SAF taught them are basically useless outside corporate environment.

screw yourself instead.

I have sat in a taxi in Singapore driven by somebody from China. I am not sure if he is a new immigrant though.

Taxi driven by foreigner? Heh...

[rolleyes]

Taxi driven by foreigner? Heh...

[rolleyes]

Taxi driver dunno, but yesterday my McD delivery guy was PRC Chinese. Haiz, usually is some Singaporean student with a bike, now PRC liao..

Taxi driver dunno, but yesterday my McD delivery guy was PRC Chinese. Haiz, usually is some Singaporean student with a bike, now PRC liao..

whose parents would want their kids to ride bike nowadays? let alone be delivery biker [rolleyes]

stop ordering delivery meal then.

Neutral Newbie

mee too, an ex regular.left after taking my degree and although I do not earn very high salary, I feel at least I work with my head and not follow blind useless instructions from so call officer.

5 to 8 years back, there are those pei-du mama who worked as massager in those neighbourhood centre back... but following government's crackdown by imposing strict restrictions on such massage parlour , u see none of those now.

mee too, an ex regular.left after taking my degree and although I do not earn very high salary, I feel at least I work with my head and not follow blind useless instructions from so call officer.

job satisfaction is equally, if not more important beside monetary benefits.. i am glad u have thought it through.... [thumbsup]

He was probably a PhD Dr formerly a scientist with A-Star

just wait and see ... -_-

just in front of my block, there are constructions going on by HDB for 'Studio Apartment'. Standing at the window watching them, those excavator's drivers are bangala. This are used to be SG or MY driving them.... [sweatdrop]

Mr Khaw had said that crane operators could earn up to $7000/- a month, you think they (FW) won't flock to it ... [sly]

Was reading this week's issue of The Edge magazine featuring Tat Hong.

The owner Roland Ng also said experienced crane operators could earn up to $8K per month, but the problem is despite the high pay not many locals are willing to take up such jobs as invariably there are risks in such jobs.

(edited)

The owner Roland Ng also said experienced crane operators could earn up to $8K per month, but the problem is despite the high pay not many locals are willing to take up such jobs as invariably there are risks in such jobs.

We heard many complaints , this not enough, that not enough after the problem surfaced. Y do we continue to be so reactive?

If this is a specific probem to a company, then no need to discuss.

If this is a nationwide shortage of skilled manpower, what is MND, BCA in specific doing all these while? Dun they forecast the contract volume of the construction industry year to year? Dun they know that the economic growth over the next 3-5 years? Dun they know that the population is growing to the worst case scenario of 6.9M which requires new infrastructure? Where are the plans ahead to train or import more competently trained skill construction personnel to support the growth? Surely, they have access to daily news, right?

Next from MOM - come the restriction of dependent upon foreign workers, the increase of foreign workers' levy in coming july etc. stifles the growth of the construction industry. Our construction industry continues to be heavily dependent on a manpower intensive industry. Yes, we have precast sector, these are mainly used in HDB projects and those large scale projects where there are volume.

Even our Iskandar is growing rapidly? Is there an impact on our reliance on this traditional supply source of skilled workers??????

many questions - seems like no answer.

I dun think the shortage of skilled manpower is limited to crane operator alone within the construction industry.

This is Singapore- our country is supposed to be the best in every metric aspects as our leadership is paid top dollars for this little small country.

Where are we today?

Edited by Turret

That's why bosses must be leaders, lead the way to safer working environment. Please don't expect our workers to work in conditions which they themselves won't.

MOM is trying to reduce heavy reliant on foreign workers in the construction industry as some of the countries they are trying to model after Australia and Japan where the workers from bricklayers to electricians are all locals. And even with fewer workers, they could construct buildings as fast as us.

We heard many complaints , this not enough, that not enough after the problem surfaced. Y do we continue to be so reactive?

If this is a specific probem to a company, then no need to discuss.

If this is a nationwide shortage of skilled manpower, what is MND, BCA in specific doing all these while? Dun they forecast the contract volume of the construction industry year to year? Dun they know that the economic growth over the next 3-5 years? Dun they know that the population is growing to the worst case scenario of 6.9M which requires new infrastructure? Where are the plans ahead to train or import more competently trained skill construction personnel to support the growth? Surely, they have access to daily news, right?

Next from MOM - come the restriction of dependent upon foreign workers, the increase of foreign workers' levy in coming july etc. stifles the growth of the construction industry. Our construction industry continues to be heavily dependent on a manpower intensive industry. Yes, we have precast sector, these are mainly used in HDB projects and those large scale projects where there are volume.

Even our Iskandar is growing rapidly? Is there an impact on our reliance on this traditional supply source of skilled workers??????

many questions - seems like no answer.

I dun think the shortage of skilled manpower is limited to crane operator alone within the construction industry.

This is Singapore- our country is supposed to be the best in every metric aspects as our leadership is paid top dollars for this little small country.

Where are we today?

↡ Advertisement