Top & Bottom 10 of a study into engine reliability

Stinkray

you change engine oil every 30k? Which oil you use so ta han?

No idea, but its from dealer leh, & to be clear I do not drive in Singapore, my last Turbo car in Singapore required oil change every 5k.

The 30k is normal servicing interval from Audi, but its a major servcing every time I need to do servcing. I do not know about folks here, I pay around equalavant of about S$700 for it, which I think is very good value. Include free polish also.

Edited by Kiadaw
↡ Advertisement

i had been driving for 15 yrs. Gone through 2 conti and 2 jap. I will never buy another conti ever. My current ride a honda FN2 although made in england, it had gone through 2 accidents in its 5.5 years, still going on strong.

Honda best! All i want is a problem free car.

that is very true.. i drive 2 nissan/1 toyota/1 honda. the honda parts last the longest... nissan/toyota need to change at 70-80k, but many honda parts last until 130k mechanic still say no need to change. the maintenance cost is really very very low and nothing much needed to do to keep the car running.

once accident in JB and radiator dislodged. still manage to drive to KM in sgp for accident repair.

I was reading article on premium engine oil such as Mobil 1 (gold cap) can last more than 20KM mileage.

However, please check your engine oil level if you need top up along the interval change. Some engine really makan oil (evapourate) due to the characteristic of the performance engine being very hot.

As car owner, the last thing we want to do is to take leave or time off from work to send car for repair, be it small or big repair work. The worst thing is when u send the car there, they tell u no problem detected, or it is normal. :D

Other than their Evo series, the rest CMI.

Yeah. totally agree....... i test drive Colt, Lancer before..... totally not impressive at all

Keep it dead stock, change fluid regularly using only Honda made, the engine will never die, my stock Honda now 250000k except lowered, other den beltings and sensors changes, first time change mountings and no other big problem, coming to 9yrs ownership.

Notice a lot of heavily modded ones will have problems.

I dunno man, that article is too vague. Warranty Direct is a third party warranty provider who also cover used cars, even after the factory warranty expires. There are too many variables (regular checks by owners, where the car is maintained, type of maintenance) and too much unknown information (age and mileage range of cars in the stats).

When is the last time anyone heard of "engine failure" is a new or relatively new car? Although the way some people treat their cars, i am not suprised at the accelerated wear. One guy in my office carpark literally starts his new E-class merc, puts it in D, disengages the handbrake and accelerates off within 3 seconds. Makes me wince everytime i see it.How many people actually check their fluid levels regularly? Seems that alot of people expect their 100,000+km engines to burn the same amount of oil as when new.

nothing wrong with wat ur colleague does....modern cars dun need to warm up....

Yah agree. I never warm up my car too. Just crank and move off, never check oil level too. Only occasionally bend down and look at the ground to see if any oil stain that could be from my engine.

I dunno man, that article is too vague. Warranty Direct is a third party warranty provider who also cover used cars, even after the factory warranty expires. There are too many variables (regular checks by owners, where the car is maintained, type of maintenance) and too much unknown information (age and mileage range of cars in the stats).

When is the last time anyone heard of "engine failure" is a new or relatively new car? Although the way some people treat their cars, i am not suprised at the accelerated wear. One guy in my office carpark literally starts his new E-class merc, puts it in D, disengages the handbrake and accelerates off within 3 seconds. Makes me wince everytime i see it.

How many people actually check their fluid levels regularly? Seems that alot of people expect their 100,000+km engines to burn the same amount of oil as when new.

Timex1441 is correct. In fact, BMW recommends to move ASAP and it does not recommend any warm up. These makes have lot of elctronics to oversee all the fluid levels. If anything less, you get the error immediately on the cluster.

Fiat not bad leh. I drove a Fiat Punto in my 4 months in England, never have me the slightness of problem.

I do not know or heard about Audi engine drink engine oil part. Maybe its due to the hot climate in Singapore, & oil evaropate faster, or something. My TFSi engine only required engine change every 30,000km or every 2 years. I do top up a bit of engine old once, when I changed a new set of wheels. The mechanic is very on the ball, & help me check this check that, & he commented the oil level is low, so I said ok. But certainly its not every now & then need to top up.

The engine interior is so much hotter than Singapore's climate leh.

I wouldn't trust long OCI 30K/2 years even if in freezing Siberia. It could be this that cause premature engine failure.

He's not my colleague thankfully. I don't care what manufacturers recommend, i won't be able to treat a car like that. The bloody car still at high idle and the oil still probably bypassing the filter.

If like what one the posters mentioned, a car drinks engine oil, and since most people never check their oil level, I can imagine a extended oil change interval can cause insufficient engine oil (esp if it has a turbo), that leads to premature failure.

Very true. Normally old cars tend to drink engine oil because of wear in the piston gasket allowing more oil to go to the combustion chamber. But the Avant is a relatively new car so to hear it drink engine oil is new to me. This probably explains the need for higher maintenance regime on these cars and should there be a lack of this, then may cause premature engine failure. Maybe that's why they have all kinds of sensors to tell you to change this or that in the car. In a Jap car, so long as hit the change interval just change the wear and tear items. But guess if you going for performance cars, that's the additional care that needs to go into it.

Edited by Pangarans
↡ Advertisement