Queries On 17' to 18' Tires

Brendon1980

I am on 215/55/17 for my ody.

Currently on Bridgestone ep100a.

After travelling about 70k or so mileage worn out.

Looking at replacement perhaps to up my rim size to 18.

Profile perhaps 225/45/18.

Any recommendations for tires? Also increasing marginally from 17 to 18 any difference in performance?

I was quoted after trade in rm4500 with rims and tires csc3. Is it worth it?

Kind souls please advise.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Not too much difference from 17" to 18" in terms of performance, but the cost of replacing tires in the future can be felt.

Why do it in JB ?

Any recommendations for tires? Also increasing marginally from 17 to 18 any difference in performance?

Thanks.

215.55.17 to 225.45.18 .

basically the different u feel is the road feedback is much more sensertive. the ride is move bumpy as the profile is lower , cannot absorb the shock as good as 55 profile and lower profile mean u have to pump the pressure higher.

for performance wise u can corner at a higher speed and properly your car is more stable then before as the profile is lower , the tyre wont flex so much and the width u upsize to 225. ( esp with hard sidewall tyre like potenza)

worth it or not very hard to say, much depend on your current tyre and rim conditions,

Not too much difference from 17" to 18" in terms of performance, but the cost of replacing tires in the future can be felt.

Why do it in JB ?

I frequent johor weekly so just pop in and ask. Local tire/rim shop quote about 3k for the same tires and similar rims..

215.55.17 to 225.45.18 .

basically the different u feel is the road feedback is much more sensertive. the ride is move bumpy as the profile is lower , cannot absorb the shock as good as 55 profile and lower profile mean u have to pump the pressure higher.

for performance wise u can corner at a higher speed and properly your car is more stable then before as the profile is lower , the tyre wont flex so much and the width u upsize to 225. ( esp with hard sidewall tyre like potenza)

worth it or not very hard to say, much depend on your current tyre and rim conditions,

Thanks for the analysis. So the effect is more on the profile. However if I change tires only to 225/55/17 possible?

Can my current rim size fit the 225 width? How to check? Currently on original rims by kah motor.

Thanks.

70k on a ody.....?

mine never cross the 40k mark. Now on ku39 at 30k, like 90% used up liao :ph34r:

Sorry I mistype current tires used about 55k already. Not really worn out. Still have about 55% left I gathered.

Perhaps I slow driver. Never really corner fast also.

Btw u driving rb3 too?

Think there will be a difference if you track, otherwise not much point other than looks.

Don't go track... er ody not so good for tracking I guess..

But I do travel nsh often about fortnightly to kl or penang.

Thanks.

i downgraded my rims from 18" to 17". save about 5-8% in Fc, and the tyres are cheaper by $100 each (i use good tyres)

Sorry I mistype current tires used about 55k already. Not really worn out. Still have about 55% left I gathered.

Perhaps I slow driver. Never really corner fast also.

Btw u driving rb3 too?

mine is rb1.

main diff in profile is the softness of the tyre. Be surprise at how fast it wears off between a 55 series and 45 series.

mine is rb1.

main diff in profile is the softness of the tyre. Be surprise at how fast it wears off between a 55 series and 45 series.

Guess u mean that a stiffer tyre or lower profile wears out faster. .

If I maintain same 17' and same profile of 55 but increase width to 225 or 225/55/17 any diff from 215/55/17?

Can existing rims fit the increase in width?

Thanks.

Guess u mean that a stiffer tyre or lower profile wears out faster. .

If I maintain same 17' and same profile of 55 but increase width to 225 or 225/55/17 any diff from 215/55/17?

Can existing rims fit the increase in width?

Thanks.

confirm rim can fit as 55 series width range is quite wide.

stick to original size unless you are going 18", which I feel is [thumbsup] .

and do look for a rim with a offset close to 55, not easy to find though. mine is 53 which is rare too.

↡ Advertisement