What is the diff btw Starhub Cable and Fibre broadband ?

Spiderman302

Not true. TV and broadband must be from same telco.

Mio TV work on Singtel broadband

SH TV work on SH broadband or cable

That means what the Mio TV sales guy told me is true afterall but that also means that if u have 2 pay TV boxes, u will need 2 Different broadbands which in turn means additional costs which was what my noob question in my original post was all about.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

That means what the Mio TV sales guy told me is true afterall but that also means that if u have 2 pay TV boxes, u will need 2 Different broadbands which in turn means additional costs which was what my noob question in my original post was all about.

My understanding is you can have SH fibre TV without the BB

and you can have BB from any other company.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/tv/get-started/hd-packs/knowledge-pack.html

My understanding is you can have Mio TV without the BB

If you go to ST website you can order just Mio TV

without getting their BB.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

My understanding is you can have SH fibre TV without the BB

http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/tv/get-started/hd-packs/knowledge-pack.html

Wow 2 different versions on extreme ends of the ruler n even our bros in this thread don’t seem to have a consensus on whether or not need separate broadbands or not.

So my noob question not so noob afterall. Anyway tks for replying!

• Praise 5

Income opportunity. Nothing wrong to collect more $$$ [:p]

Subscription is the trend now. Microsucks software also using this method to ensure continuous future income. One day car maker will also do it. Pay annual subscription or your car will not start. :grin:

No leh.... 

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181102-235346_Chrome.jpg

I still don't understnad why they still insist on charging a monthly rental for the set-top box. <_<  

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 4

No leh.... 

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181102-235346_Chrome.jpg

I still don't understnad why they still insist on charging a monthly rental for the set-top box. <_<  

OIC so if just want SH TV have to buy the BB as well

and if want to Mio TV also have to buy BB from them as well.

Wow that like paying for the duplicate service we don't need.

Subscribe to StarHub TV

Looking for TV and Broadband?
Get our Fibre TV and Broadband bundle.
Just need TV?
Register here for Fibre TV.

The webpage above is redundant.

Just need TV?

Well looks like you can't have it

cos you need to get BB as well.

That's what it looks like to me.

Or what they mean is

Just need TV?

Cos you already bought the BB?

• Praise 1

is it? I thought bandwidth can share and only tv box that make the different.

It's all got to do with the Op-Co, as StarHub and Singtel are on different Op-Co now, so will need to have their own ONT. As there is only a pair of fiber coming in to your house through the Net-Co which will only terminate to either 1 coy's Op-Co. Used to be able to share as when this NGNBN was roll out by the govt, there is only 1 Op-Co but after the funding is over, each coy start up their own Op-Co.
  • Praise 1

Yeah, but it is a piece of essential equipment in order to receive the content I subscribed.

It's like saying I have a choice to not rent the set top box and choose to only subscribe to the service. <_<

I was thinking with the competition abound these days, at the least they could have absorbed the rental fees or assimilate the rental fees into the monthly subscription rate rather than an outright "base charge"

Income opportunity. Nothing wrong to collect more $$$ [:p]

Subscription is the trend now. Microsucks software also using this method to ensure continuous future income. One day car maker will also do it. Pay annual subscription or your car will not start. :grin:

What I've been reading thus far is confusing.

If you look at netflix, all its content is authenticated with your email and password. That means, as long as you have a internet connection, from anyone (SH, Singtel, whatever) you will get your service.

Now if SH fibre tv comes with a hardware box, The box is used for the authentication, not like netflix email/password combo. Which means more likely, it's a closed network within SH itself or intranet, which means you'll need SH BB subscription.

miotv is the same, you need to have singtel BB. You can't use SH BB to access miotv system.

As to why SH still charge rental, those boxes cost them money. So they have to recuperate.

If you were buying your own box (like the generic android box), then there wouldn't be a rental charge.

The problem lies with authentication, to enable decryption of tv signal.

That's why you will not be able to buy these boxes off the internet, bcuz it's controlled and proprietary.

• Praise 1

What I've been reading thus far is confusing.

If you look at netflix, all its content is authenticated with your email and password. That means, as long as you have a internet connection, from anyone (SH, Singtel, whatever) you will get your service.

Now if SH fibre tv comes with a hardware box, The box is used for the authentication, not like netflix email/password combo. Which means more likely, it's a closed network within SH itself or intranet, which means you'll need SH BB subscription.

miotv is the same, you need to have singtel BB. You can't use SH BB to access miotv system.

As to why SH still charge rental, those boxes cost them money. So they have to recuperate.

If you were buying your own box (like the generic android box), then there wouldn't be a rental charge.

The problem lies with authentication, to enable decryption of tv signal.

That's why you will not be able to buy these boxes off the internet, bcuz it's controlled and proprietary.

We don't watch Netflix atm so do you have to pay for the programmes you watch on Netflix? over and above what you pay for SH or Singtel subscription???

We don't watch Netflix atm so do you have to pay for the programmes you watch on Netflix? over and above what you pay for SH or Singtel subscription???

Yes, you have to pay for Netflix, above your internet subscription, be it Singtel or Starhub.

Do note that Netflix and Amazon Prime are for watching individual movies or tv series.

These would be like video-on-demand, where you pick individual movie or tv to watch as and when you want it.

It is not like National Geographic channels, Discovery channels, HBO, Fox Movies, etc, where you can get them only on SH or Singtel bcuz these channels are traditionally sold to cable companies to broadcast. So these are paid-tv broadcast channels streaming real-time 24 hrs a day.

I would put it this way.

If the tv/video content is within their intranets (whether Singtel or SH), then you will need their subscription accordingly to access those video.

If their video content is on the internet like Netflix or Amazon Prime, then you don't need specific ISP, anytime you're on the internet, you can access those video, when you pay for their subscription.

Edited by Kb27

yup ... i took up that offer !!

anyway, i might subscribe to your notion that cable is a strategic backup ... it might not be removed but restricted to official use only ?

Starhub already say there is 3rd party involved.

Removal is physical. Not a back up.

Twincharged

i bought a Hisense smart tv ... and along with it, there is a netflix app in the tv s/w.

i have not used it before coz i am worried might have to pay for the access.

anyone else bought TV with pre-installed netflix ? is it chargeable ?

↡ Advertisement