Taiwan: Holiday in Taipei & Tainan

Maxus-MIFA9

Finally book my flight to Taiwan (Taipei) end of year. This is my family holiday there after 6 years.

This time other than Taipei area, plan to self drive to Hualian and Yilan.

Any suggestion what to visit and see at this 2 place.

I prefer non city area since city I will be spending in Taipei.

Or any beautiful self drive route for this 2 city.

I am going KS and Taipei in Jan during their election period, going to feel the tensed atmosphere [laugh]
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

these boats are small compared to car ferries haha

The one i took in Hualien is those like maybe 10-15 seater type. Pleasure craft type.

The WA one is about a 20-30 seater?

This one. But the wave was really high at southern Australia.

Did not expect the bumpy when saw the size of the ferry.

post-29292-0-23351300-1562984620.jpg

post-29292-0-12791400-1562984626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tohto

I am going KS and Taipei in Jan during their election period, going to feel the tensed atmosphere [laugh]

This is presidential elections? With HK liddat, not slam dunk victory for DPP? haha

Hypersonic

Always felt KS quite boring.

Always felt KS quite boring.

watched a documentary on KS, so going to visit some 'old town', will spend 3 days there to go into the kampung area.

This is presidential elections? With HK liddat, not slam dunk victory for DPP? haha

yah, will be quite exciting.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Any advice for must visit place, food to eat in Hualian and Yilan?

I plan to drive from Taipei to Hualian --》Yilan --》 Taipei.

Will stay 2N at bith city. Exclude Taipei.

Edited by Tohto

(edited)

From my trip to hualien there 11 years ago, i remember few things.

1. Fruits taste great, their shaved ice fruits very nice.

2. There is a hot Taro balls over shaved ice dessert which is awesome. It's like what Jiu xian does here but just better. Dunno whether still there

3. The Mochi there is excellent as well. Better than other places in taiwan.

[thumbsup]

I think also they have some restaurants serving up local veggies, do try. I tried some local veggies which tasted nice as well.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Any advice for must visit place, food to eat in Hualian and Yilan?

I plan to drive from Taipei to Hualian --》Yilan --》 Taipei.

Will stay 2N at bith city. Exclude Taipei.

from Taipei going to Hualian need to pass by Yilan, unless you cut through from Taichung.

only went to Hualian in 1998, took a noisy propeller plane from Taipei,  no impression of what it was like  [sweatdrop]    it usually have some big events during spring and summer.

Yilan is mostly for their farm (famous for their 三星蔥), and many food factories 觀光工廠. Drive through those field really nice and relaxing, very peaceful and hardly see any people. Thousands of 民宿 for you to choose and 50% of them were illegal but govt never stop them  [laugh]  

礁溪 - famous for their hotspring resorts

幾米公園 - the famous cartoonist 

橘子咖啡 - mainly for evening to view the whole yilan city

羅東夜市 - not bad, not too big and quite a few famous food there, mutton soup is one of them.

國立傳統藝術中心宜蘭園區 - wanted to go there but it was closed without announcement on the day i went.

梅花湖 - i went there to ride bicycle around the lake, not really a must  [laugh]

Kavalan Distillery factory - a must to tour the factory, whiskey tasting, and buy a few bottles of the award winning whiskey  [thumbsup]  

Lanyang Museum - also a must go place.

Hypersonic

from Taipei going to Hualian need to pass by Yilan, unless you cut through from Taichung.

only went to Hualian in 1998, took a noisy propeller plane from Taipei,  no impression of what it was like  [sweatdrop]    it usually have some big events during spring and summer.

Yilan is mostly for their farm (famous for their 三星蔥), and many food factories 觀光工廠. Drive through those field really nice and relaxing, very peaceful and hardly see any people. Thousands of 民宿 for you to choose and 50% of them were illegal but govt never stop them  [laugh]  

礁溪 - famous for their hotspring resorts

幾米公園 - the famous cartoonist 

橘子咖啡 - mainly for evening to view the whole yilan city

羅東夜市 - not bad, not too big and quite a few famous food there, mutton soup is one of them.

國立傳統藝術中心宜蘭園區 - wanted to go there but it was closed without announcement on the day i went.

梅花湖 - i went there to ride bicycle around the lake, not really a must  [laugh]

Kavalan Distillery factory - a must to tour the factory, whiskey tasting, and buy a few bottles of the award winning whiskey  [thumbsup]  

Lanyang Museum - also a must go place.

Thank you for the input.

Yes, I know drive to Hualian will past by Yilan.

So I will drive all the way to Hualian (2N) from Taipei, then back to Yilan (2N).

I aware that Hualian and Yilan are mainly paddy field, will like to find a minsu surrounded by the field.  Maybe can get free bicycle and cycle around. 

How about 太平山 which is near Yilan? Worth a day trip up? 

Thank you for the input.

So I will drive all the way to Hualian (2N) from Taipei, then back to Yilan (2N).

I aware that Hualian and Yilan are mainly paddy field, will like to find a minsu surrounded by the field.  Maybe can get free bicycle and cycle around. 

never been there, saw nice mountain scenic view from google, i think good for people who like to drive but not me  [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]   if i go with family and ask them to spend whole day travel along the mountain, they will make a lot of noise  [laugh]  [laugh]

Thank you for the input.

Edited by Chongyf

Thank you for the input.

To add 1 additional place to visit in Yilan - 伯朗咖啡城堡 (http://momotravel.tw/mrbrown-castle/).  It is on top of a hill overseeing the ocean and gives a nice view of Yilan and the coastal area.  This is operated by Mr Brown coffee, which is a Taiwan local company.  You can have coffee, cakes and meals in their café.

If you can managed to book, can try the Yilan cherry Valley duck (roast duck) from Red Lantern Restaurant in Silk Place Hotel (https://www.silksplace-yilan.com.tw/en/food_red.html).  They serve the duck in 5 different ways.  They won the number 1 roast duck competition in Taiwan, I think.

If you like mochi, there is this popular mochi shop near the Hualian train station.  All their mochi and handmade on the spot, and best of all, there is free sampling before deciding which flavour to buy.  As the mochi and handmade daily without preservatives, they are to be consumed within a few days.

If you have enough time in Hualian, you may want to consider 远雄海洋公园(FarGlory Ocean Park).  I personally enjoyed the dolphin show.

Hope you have a great holiday.

• Praise 1

To add 1 additional place to visit in Yilan - 伯朗咖啡城堡 (http://momotravel.tw/mrbrown-castle/).  It is on top of a hill overseeing the ocean and gives a nice view of Yilan and the coastal area.  This is operated by Mr Brown coffee, which is a Taiwan local company.  You can have coffee, cakes and meals in their café.

If you can managed to book, can try the Yilan cherry Valley duck (roast duck) from Red Lantern Restaurant in Silk Place Hotel (https://www.silksplace-yilan.com.tw/en/food_red.html).  They serve the duck in 5 different ways.  They won the number 1 roast duck competition in Taiwan, I think.

If you like mochi, there is this popular mochi shop near the Hualian train station.  All their mochi and handmade on the spot, and best of all, there is free sampling before deciding which flavour to buy.  As the mochi and handmade daily without preservatives, they are to be consumed within a few days.

If you have enough time in Hualian, you may want to consider 远雄海洋公园(FarGlory Ocean Park).  I personally enjoyed the dolphin show.

Thanks for the infor.

I was also planning to visit the cafe.

Turbocharged

Tried the duck at Yilan. It is not too bad. I still like the peking duck in Singapore Yihe.

Yilan looks pretty countryside...

Thanks for the infor.

I was also planning to visit the cafe.

Mr Brown cafe and Kavalan whisky is under the same group, if you want to buy Mr Brown 3-in-1 coffee or tea, can visit the Kavalan distillery (factory) where they have better price.

Mr Brown cafe and Kavalan whisky is under the same group, if you want to buy Mr Brown 3-in-1 coffee or tea, can visit the Kavalan distillery (factory) where they have better price.

Not really like the coffee.

If going to the cafe, more of for the view.

Tried the duck at Yilan. It is not too bad. I still like the peking duck in Singapore Yihe.

Yilan looks pretty countryside...

Country side..... That's the main reason want to go there.
↡ Advertisement