Which GPS to buy?

Vtim

My 5 yr old Garmin finally conked out on me. I'm still not keen to use mobile phone for navigation, so in search of new in-vehicle GPS unit. I have a spare phone but most of the navigation apps needs data plan to be turned on for navigation purposes.

Still deliberating between Garmin/Marbella/Papago....All seem to have their merits and shortfall. What I'm looking for are:

1) big screen - at least 5"

2) fast location lock on

3) 3D image

4) free map upload

After reading through the thread, seems like Marbella 500 has garnered good f/r. Good choice?

My 5 yr old Garmin finally conked out on me. I'm still not keen to use mobile phone for navigation, so in search of new in-vehicle GPS unit. I have a spare phone but most of the navigation apps needs data plan to be turned on for navigation purposes.

Still deliberating between Garmin/Marbella/Papago....All seem to have their merits and shortfall. What I'm looking for are:

2) fast location lock on

3) 3D image

4) free map upload

After reading through the thread, seems like Marbella 500 has garnered good f/r. Good choice?

... read my other post. :D

Marbella is a lemon... waste of money.

Buy a Lumia 1320 6-inch entry level smartphone. Use it as GPS. Can use as spare phone as well. No need data.

2) fast location lock on

3) 3D image

4) free map upload

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

2) fast location lock on

3) 3D image

4) free map upload

Ive been using a Marbella 5" slim for a few years.

Not really that good. The tracking can b quite screwry sometimes. It has difficulty to lock on to sats n wil lose the signal even in open areas.

I wud not get another Marbella next time.

I wud prefer to try a Garmin.

My previous GPS was a Schinco. Although its MIC i found it damm good but only cannot update maps.

It was easier to use than e Marbella. Tracking the sats also good. [thumbsup]

Now this brand no more on the market. [:(]

I got 2 garmins 3.5" and 5", until today they are still working.

I can use the 5" for tracking, sent to malfreemaps and in turn get updated maps every 2 weeks.

I used them everyday and have no reasons to switch brands.

To choose a gps, very important i feel is the map itself and how updated it is.

Supercharged

Buy a Lumia 1320 6-inch entry level smartphone. Use it as GPS. Can use as spare phone as well. No need data.

Yes, that is a good idea.

If I'm not wrong, some other brand of phones also has such navigation software in-built. So can look around if you dun want a Nokia.

Ive been using a Marbella 5" slim for a few years.

Not really that good. The tracking can b quite screwry sometimes. It has difficulty to lock on to sats n wil lose the signal even in open areas.

I wud not get another Marbella next time.

I wud prefer to try a Garmin.

My previous GPS was a Schinco. Although its MIC i found it damm good but only cannot update maps.

It was easier to use than e Marbella. Tracking the sats also good. [thumbsup]

Now this brand no more on the market. [:(]

Thanks for sharing. I'll give Marbella a miss.

Satellite locking is the most basic of all GPS features

• Praise 1

Supercharged

That bad huh... :huh: U sure you mounted the GPS on the windscreen, or placed in on the seat or somewhere else?

Stand alone GPS is outdated liao. Crowd sourcing GPS is the way to go.

Waze is the way to go. Have used it in SG & MY. It is still my 1st choice.

By the way, when the new road into/out of MCE open on 28, Waze is ready.

Edited by Davidtch

Agree. Standalone GPS is outdated.

Nowadays so many devices already incorporate into the smartphone - torchlight, calculator, alarm clock, camera, video camera, calendar, map, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS and many more. Things we usually bring, now we don't!!

Last time must buy Singapore directory book so thick put inside the car!! Must buy alarm clock to wake me up in the morning! Must bring torchlight at night to find stuff! Must buy PSP or DS to play games - now all obsolete liao! Still must buy GPS to navigate meh?? Nah... I self drove in Phuket using my iPhone papago app. Never get lost.

• Praise 1

It depends on your usage.

I use standalone gps to navigate to a place.

The phone rings along the way, I don't have to decide if I want to lose navigation or not answer the phone.

It depends on your usage.

I use standalone gps to navigate to a place.

The phone rings along the way, I don't have to decide if I want to lose navigation or not answer the phone.

When my phone rings, call is pickup via in car bluetooth. I can still switch back to Waze.

By the way, i don't have the habit of picking up calls in the car.

Waze usually show me more than 1 route to travel & it shows the traffic condition of each route.

Edited by Davidtch

That bad huh... :huh: U sure you mounted the GPS on the windscreen, or placed in on the seat or somewhere else?

Ya I mount it at the same location as my previous Shinco. On the roof. Hahahahaha.

Supercharged

Ya I mount it at the same location as my previous Shinco. On the roof. Hahahahaha.

What is nbsp ?? [confused]

Actually there are guys using that brand and told me the Sat lock-on is very fast leh.... [:/]

Supercharged

When my phone rings, call is pickup via in car bluetooth. I can still switch back to Waze.

No bluetooth in my car leh.... :blink:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1