Director Tony Scott has committed suicide!

1fast1

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/tony-sc...s-say-1.3914803

LOS ANGELES - Tony Scott died Sunday after jumping from a Los Angeles County bridge, authorities said. The 68-year-old's death was being investigated as a suicide, Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale said.

News broke today, Sg time.

I really liked many of his movies - not great art, but great blockbusters. Top Gun, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, True Romance. [:(]

Wonder why he did it? Maybe he couldn't stand to live in the shadow of his critically-acclaimed brother (Ridley Scott) anymore - but why would he do it after Ridley just released a critically-panned stinker (Prometheus)? And why would he do it when he's got his most eagerly awaited film project (the Top Gun sequel) in the works?

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

What?! No more Top Gun sequel?!?!?!?!? [bigcry]

That was the first movie I had ever watched and it really inspired me, till today.

P.S. Hmm, imho Prometheus not really THAT bad la haha.

Edited by Hotshot85

What?! No more Top Gun sequel?!?!?!?!? [bigcry]

Well, directors are far easier to replace than leading men, and even that's happened - look at The Crow. There have been many instances when directors have been fired and other directors hired in their place - notably Spartacus, which didn't start out being a Kubrick flick. I think there are also instances where directors have passed the mantle by passing on, although I can't name any offhand.

P.S. Hmm, imho Prometheus not really THAT bad la haha.

To each his own. But you're right. It's not THAT bad, it's even worse! [:p]

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/tony-sc...s-say-1.3914803

LOS ANGELES - Tony Scott died Sunday after jumping from a Los Angeles County bridge, authorities said. The 68-year-old's death was being investigated as a suicide, Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale said.

News broke today, Sg time.

I really liked many of his movies - not great art, but great blockbusters. Top Gun, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, True Romance. [:(]

Wonder why he did it? Maybe he couldn't stand to live in the shadow of his critically-acclaimed brother (Ridley Scott) anymore - but why would he do it after Ridley just released a critically-panned stinker (Prometheus)? And why would he do it when he's got his most eagerly awaited film project (the Top Gun sequel) in the works?

I really liked True Romance. I owned the video tape and watched it again and again and again. Cool dialogue, great flick! Wonder what happened to those guys - Dennis Hopper, Chris Penn, Christopher Walken, great actors all. Not interested in what happened to Christian Slater. LOL what a dud.

could have used a slave....so much brighter than me.... can be my torch light mah...haha..my slave my teacher..new sequel... see? now i have no reason..cos his reason to gameover must be so compelling.... [:(]

could have used a slave....so much brighter than me.... can be my torch light mah...haha..my slave my teacher..new sequel... see? now i have no reason..cos his reason to gameover must be so compelling.... [:(]

Huh? [:/]

Huh? [:/]

I think we have a "Beautiful Mind" here. [laugh]

(No, that wasn't Tony Scott. Blame Ron Howard, and Sylvia Nasar (author of the book) for the phrase).

I really liked True Romance. I owned the video tape and watched it again and again and again. Cool dialogue, great flick! Wonder what happened to those guys - Dennis Hopper, Chris Penn, Christopher Walken, great actors all. Not interested in what happened to Christian Slater. LOL what a dud.

True Romance was a good flick, but I always wondered what would've become of it had Quentin Tarantino taken the reigns himself. As it happened, he was only the screenwriter. That dialogue about Slater f---in' Elvis, etc. is classic QT (this sort of banter happens at least once in each of his movies).

At any rate, that Hopper/Walken interrogation scene is super-memorable. But I can't help thinking that QT would've done it in an even classier fashion.