How much to replace shock absorbers?

SLSAMG88

To all bros, thank you so much for your kind and invaluable suggestions! I just want to have more information because "ignorance is not bliss". Of course, workshops need to have profit margins to sustain businesses, but not to the extent of "chop carrot".

• Praise 1

For Hyundai

Rear absorber Mando brand $75

Rear absorber Hyundai brand $102

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

Labour for 2 rear absorbers, I was charged $80.

Anybody knows of any workshop that can do the change at a lower price?

Sorry to quote old post but can share your workshop? Auto saver charging 2xx for labor to change absorber for Hyundai avante. Planning to get parts from stockist.
  • Praise 1

Hello all. I am in need to replace my shock absorbers as going through humps and uneven road surface is causing too much shake in the car.

Auto**** quoted me $2050 for Audi stock shock absorbers for both front and rear pair, absorber mounting, stopper, bearing, cover, and 1 year warranty.

However, another workshop *** quoted me just $1200 for Audi stock shock absorbers (with installation) and that's all was mentioned.

Who is the carrot chopper? is $2050 legit?

On 10/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, awhtc said:

I changed my Honda Shuttle two rear shock absorbers (original) today for about $380 with installation.  The workshop only took 30 min to change with 2 workers.  I think the price is pretty okay.

Bro, can PM your workshop? I need to get my car checked cos there is a clunking sound when driving over uneven surfaces at low to mid speeds as well as going over hump. The AutoServ at the Shell near my place just said replace the whole shock absorber set with suspension link, mounting, cover, etc, both sides $1540 with installation... I think that's a bit much and they said the bushings not the problem... not sure if they just change for the sake of it to eliminate the problem or it is really necessary... they said the shock absorber today can't check if leaking cos the car undercarriage all wet... 

On 11/5/2023 at 4:25 PM, awhtc said:

I just shared my workshop contacts with you via PM.

Based on my earlier repair of rear and front suspensions for my Toyota Vios, around $1.1k should be enough for this model.  I am not sure what is your car model.

Normally, petrol station workshops charge a slight premium of 10-20% compared to normal workshops.  You pay a premium for the convenience.

Thanks bro! Mine is a Hyundai Sonata LF 2.0... I changed a lot of parts hence the cost... the shocks themselves aren't too expensive... 

• Praise 1

i have recently bought a pair of rear shocks from amazon. about $200 for a pair shipped. these are KYB lowfer shocks. now pending delivery for a pair of fronts. even KYB SR specials are much cheaper than what can be obtained locally.

the only caveat is long delivery times. my 1st pair took about 6weeks before being shipped which it then arrived in 3-4days. have been waiting close to 2 months for the front pair to be confirmed to be shipped.

I only know the cost of replace the clutch release bearing,not only for passenger cars and heacy duty,commercial trucks which called pneumatic cutch actuator. I usually buy from online www.tzclutch.com,then bring it to the repair workshop,it's much competitive.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:59 PM, awhtc said:

Labour cost tends to be higher than parts cost in Singapore.  I also use KYB for my Vios.

Mine was free. I DIY. 😂

• Praise 2

On 11/7/2023 at 9:30 PM, Mkl22 said:

Mine was free. I DIY. 😂

rear shock can diy easily, no need take out spring for alot of cars.

2 nuts take out can replace already

• Praise 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:48 PM, Beregond said:

Only for cheap cars with Torison beam. 

On 11/7/2023 at 9:48 PM, Beregond said:

Wont the setup be sprung... meaning once take out shock it will spring in... may be dangerous

How about alignment?

On 11/9/2023 at 8:43 AM, t0y0ta said:

Wont the setup be sprung... meaning once take out shock it will spring in... may be dangerous

How about alignment?

When you jack up the rear, the spring (separated from the shocks type) will be extended and thus not exerting force on the arms. I DIY before (semi trailing arm suspension) for rear. Easy only 3 bolts each side in the wheel well. 

• Praise 3

How about alignment?

What you described is MacPherson Strut.

There are rear suspension that split spring and shock.

I don't think alignment is required especially FWD car

• Praise 2

How about alignment?

. Alignment wont be out. Cos all the nuts and bolt positions is fix. 

There is nothing  to adjust.  Even if u want 😅

Actually for front absorber. The alignment also wont go out for most car. Cos u never touch the tie rod or rack end.

Most ppl do is just in case. And the small mm of nuts movements 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1