Electric cars

Expertz

On 9/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, Datsun366 said:

From a practical Malaysian perspective,

1. The entire purpose of obtaining a car is utilitarian with minimum fuss.

2. Its to improve the quality of life.

3. Most Malaysians live on landed property, hence theoritically should be receptive to EV adoption re charging.

Malaysians very frequently do long trips on highways cross state. Not for fun but for work and family. So they are very cautious on range-challenged EVs with limited/long charging required.

Also note that their petrol is cheap with subsidies and cars (even taxed ICE cars) are very affordable. Most ppl don't see the need to take risk on EV now.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

On 9/27/2023 at 4:28 PM, Sdf4786k said:

Yeah .. u don’t want to be early adopter and become the villiage idiot if the take up rate does not evolve to mass adoptable 

That applies to Hydrogen fuel cell.

From semicon chips to EV, it is really about simi “national” interest and money lah. Free trade is pretty dead when it no longer serves one's interest.

With 25% tariff on China EV imports in US and 10% in Europe, likely to be revised upwards post EU investigation, China domination of global EV market can only get tougher. 

Will we hear more and more about subsidies, unfair competition and unclean and unsustainable mining/ refining of EV materials and stolen technology (lesser extent for EV)) till the US catches up? Or when hydrogen becomes competitive enough to leapfrog EV technology?

Small inefficient ICE vs hyper efficient power plants, it is a no brainer. Issue is always infrastructure, which is not insurmountable.  Already proven in Norway, China and many European countries.

This is never about the saving planet earth but protecting industries and jobs in big auto markets like EU, US and China. 

Why noone talks about taxing  cattle farming which is not prevalent in developing countries but produces so much methane?

Good read. 
Why China Dominates EV Supply Chain as EU, US Try to Catch Up in Batteries
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-breaking-china-ev-supply-chain-dominance/?ai=eyJpc1N1YnNjcmliZWQiOmZhbHNlLCJhcnRpY2xlUmVhZCI6ZmFsc2UsImFydGljbGVDb3VudCI6MCwid2FsbEhlaWdodCI6MX0=

• Praise 2

On 9/27/2023 at 12:31 PM, t0y0ta said:

Malaysians very frequently do long trips on highways cross state. Not for fun but for work and family. So they are very cautious on range-challenged EVs with limited/long charging required.

Also note that their petrol is cheap with subsidies and cars (even taxed ICE cars) are very affordable. Most ppl don't see the need to take risk on EV now.

Not just petrol over there is cheap, but the electricity from public charging over in Malaysia can be quite expensive for the ringgit charged per kWh or by the minute. EVs over there are purchased as a 2nd car for the more well to do Malaysian families, for driving within KL etc. To do inter-state runs, they will drive the other ICE car. 

On 9/20/2023 at 9:57 PM, Kennethoka said:

But they will get new Highlander version and Singapore is like clearing old stock

Abit of backdated news, but my friend booked the car in September and Tesla already told them no more old stock. He was just told to cancel and reorder the highland last week and it was actually 17k cheaper on the car price. Apparently the PARF is still $9k so SG is one of the rare markets that have a price drop for the highland.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, Kennethoka said:

Actually what I comparing is purely the car price exclude ARF, incentive and COE for Singapore and exclude incentive for Malaysia  and all price converted to US dollar.

SG : SGD$79,550 = USD$58,189

MY: MYR$189,000 = USD$40,298

For Singapore price is higher and get the older model

Tesla in MY is cost around BYD Atto 3 and much cheaper than Hyundai Ioniq 5

Don't forget the custom duty of 20% on OMV for Singapore. 

Highland vehicle price starts from $68,900 including custom duty.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, Kennethoka said:

Actually what I comparing is purely the car price exclude ARF, incentive and COE for Singapore and exclude incentive for Malaysia  and all price converted to US dollar.

SG : SGD$79,550 = USD$58,189

MY: MYR$189,000 = USD$40,298

For Singapore price is higher and get the older model

Tesla in MY is cost around BYD Atto 3 and much cheaper than Hyundai Ioniq 5

Highland vehicle price starts from $68,900 including custom duty.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, Hondatyper said:

Think a lot of people & media outlets either don't realize this or just gloss over it. When you read a story about car prices you always hear them say "COE so high!!" but no mention that even if COE was $0, we still get shafted with 130%-300++% of various taxes via Customs Duty, GST, ARF.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1