Unemployment rate for over-30s creeps up

Hephaestus

This situation is particularly true when the new head is incompetent. In order to stay in position he/she has to bring in his/her gang to support them. So, old hands have to go first. They are the challenge to him/her.

When you see a big change and the group shifting from 1 company to another. You know it is doom for that organization.

My so-called new head doesn't know anything about the business and he slapped on a 40% annual increase to target.

It was impossible (at least I can't do it), so I left and he had to take over.

Guess it was the "best" way to sort things out.

Now he has the best opportunity to prove that I was incompetent and the target is entirely doable!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

we are like pets to our jobs

to us, the job or company is our everything (especially when we are in our 40s and other opportunities are increasingly difficult to come by)

to the company, we are just a small economic figure in their annual financial statements

• Praise 5

to us, the job or company is our everything (especially when we are in our 40s and other opportunities are increasingly difficult to come by)

to the company, we are just a small economic figure in their annual financial statements

I was very fortunate to find a better position with a substantial pay jump, but you're right: it is very hard to get

out at an equivalent pay once you're over 40.

• Praise 1

So I guess middle age folks who kanna axed must become self- employed, since NO employers want older workers.

With the current situation where alot of people settle down late and have the 1st kid at mid 30s..

When the kid is taking PSLE, one or both parents will lose their job. Jia lut !

Before the golden axe comes, what are the options available for older and experienced workers ? Commit suicide ?

The problem starts much earlier...

At the time when people are buying house and cars, do they always plan as if they can hold on to their jobs until retirement and pay keeps increasing? So instalment all the way. If one had down-scaled and planned for early debt-free, live well within means, financial prudence etc, then the picture is different.

The rules of the engagement are clear, live the moment, prepare for the consequences.

Dun give excuses later like "never thought of it"... we are not 3-years old.

• Praise 4

So true.....best jobs are always given to old friend contacts or recommendations. Writing in is usually futile; especially for the better jobs or senior roles. Can't blame the hiring boss as well as new hires need to perform and deliver. Getting to know an unknown hire can be a big gamble so playing safe is the route many take.

While it is important to network with fellow colleagues and peers in the industry, one of the best pieces of advice I received from my wise ex boss, when I was still a small fly, was to build strong rapport and relationship with people of my age working for our clients (and make sure they are smart and capable people too). As I rise through the rank, so did these people (some are really senior people now), they are now a valuable part of my "sticky" network.

Skill set plus network and you don't have to worry about loyalty, which is selling at 5 cents per kg at the wet market near my house.

• Praise 5

While it is important to network with fellow colleagues and peers in the industry, one of the best pieces of advice I received from my wise ex boss, when I was still a small fly, was to build strong rapport and relationship with people of my age working for our clients (and make sure they are smart and capable people too). As I rise through the rank, so did these people (some are really senior people now), they are now a valuable part of my "sticky" network.

Skill set plus network and you don't have to worry about loyalty, which is selling at 5 cents per kg at the wet market near my house.

Still got 5 cents?  [:p] I thought it was a liability. :D

• Praise 4

Anyone of them become ministers?
  • Praise 6

I was very fortunate to find a better position with a substantial pay jump, but you're right: it is very hard to get

out at an equivalent pay once you're over 40.

Equivalent pay or not depends individually, there is no fixed amount how much pay a person should achieve once over 40.

• Praise 2

Unfortunately scholars dont see it your way because they never have such issue. Once a colleague shares this statement with me.

Employee is like a young lady married to a guy. You give everything and after giving birth and setting up his family, including financial stability, he decides you are too old and prefer another young lady.

While that wife has woman chapter to protect her. You have your employment contact. You have just married to the wrong guy. Scholar didnt understand why you need protection.

• Praise 2

Unfortunately scholars dont see it your way because they never have such issue. Once a colleague shares this statement with me.

Employee is like a young lady married to a guy. You give everything and after giving birth and setting up his family, including financial stability, he decides you are too old and prefer another young lady.

While that wife has woman chapter to protect her. You have your employment contact. You have just married to the wrong guy. Scholar didnt understand why you need protection.

Protection is very important

Someone wise said ....." we are the average of 7 of our close friends / contacts"....the people we mix with on a regular basis inevitably shape our thinking and behavior. This is so true from experience....

• Praise 6

Maybe this is one big reason why they are not banning Uber and Grab.... leaving some jobs for those unfortunate ones who kena axed.

Really?

Does this mean LTA will not allow driverless cars to be used by fleet operators such as Comfort Delgro/ Grab? I always thought it was bec we are indirect shareholders via our sovereign wealth fund...

• Praise 2

Don't like that leh. I just got my long service award. Cash bonus definitely more than 5c.

Congrats!!! Good and Lucky for you and fortunate to get it........ please share some with me first also [laugh]  and other MCF kaki's later ah! [:p]

• Praise 3

Speaking about always on the look out for openings elsewhere and networking, any comments if the skills future initiative is working out?

If you already have the skills, do you really need to attend the course again?

If you don't have the skills, but want to attain it, do you think employers will embrace it after your attainment of certification but without hands-on work experience? 

The issue of "if you don't give me the chance, how am I going to gain the experience" vice versa still remain.

I was so interested in the IE's initiative to train international trade finance personnel. Read through tonnes of information and only to discover that it covers only those employees already in the trade in the sponsored companies. How about those retrenched and want to re-skill themselves?

Lotsa of bull craps if you ask me.

I am still trying to find a meaningful way to use my 500 skills credits, but no such luck. Of course, I can anyhow sign up for any course at my whimpsy just to use that up. But, that's not the way even if it is "free" money. 

And after they implement this skillsfuture, many course providers increased the course fees mysteriously. 

And....

After I managed to zero down on an overseas course provider for international trade finance, there's no way I can claim for my skills future which incidentally is the organisation that IE is "partnering" with in Singapore.

Speaking about always on the look out for openings elsewhere and networking, any comments if the skills future initiative is working out?

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 8

Skill or not skill also depend on your boss- whim and fancy- I know some pretty girl everyday chit chating on the handphone- yet boss close a blind eye.

most importantly must tag on the right boss and company- if u r out of flavour- mostly likely u r out- cause good excuse to cut cost.

what skill future- excuse cause we are running out of option to create job for singaporean. MNC are getting out as cost is too high in comparison to neigbouring countries. This is to shift the "blame" game to candidates - u see lah no job cause u never upgrade.

if during employment- boss where got so good allow u- to go for job training- even if- they also cut staff- regardless of skill upgrading if the P&L is at stake.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1