ST Forum: Unstamped Entry Scare At Causeway

Vulcann

Onus is on one to check own passport right? [rolleyes]

Anyway do take note bros.

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_806070.html

Unstamped entry scare at Causeway

Published on Jun 2, 2012

PERHAPS visitors to Malaysia can learn from my experience on Tuesday, when I drove to Johor with a friend, via the Causeway ('KL to scrap arrival cards for foreigners'; May 19).

My friend's passport had a Malaysia Automated Clearance System (Macs) tag, which does not require his passport to be stamped when he enters the country. Mine did not, so it required an entry and exit stamp.

When I gave my passport to the immigration officer, I saw him key in my passport number, scan my passport, and stamp what I assumed - wrongly, it turned out - was my passport. When he returned it, I did not check if it had been stamped to show my entry into Malaysia.

On our way back to Singapore, the immigration officer at the departure counter told me that my passport did not bear the entry stamp, and that I faced two weeks' jail, plus a fine of RM1,000 (S$400).

As Malaysia no longer requires foreigners to fill in the embarkation card, I had no proof that I had entered the country legally. After much pleading, the officer let me through.

So, fellow travellers to Malaysia should make sure and check that their passports are stamped.

Steve Choo

↡ Advertisement

Everytime I check I got the stamp on all passenger passports before I drive off from the counter..

Never play play with them..

So far none had happen on us but even if 1 of our passport not stamp I still can throw back to let him stamp.. :D

From what i gather, the writer is not pushing or playing the blame game but just sharing his bad experience due to his carelessness. It could have happened to us if we let off guard like what he did then. So let us be kind, shall we?

Everytime I check I got the stamp on all passenger passports before I drive off from the counter..

Never play play with them..

So far none had happen on us but even if 1

of our passport not stamp I still can throw back to let him stamp.. :D

pass back let him stamp... I doubt you have the balls to throw it back at him

From what i gather, the writer is not pushing or playing the blame game but just sharing his bad experience due to his carelessness. It could have happened to us if we let off guard like what he did then. So let us be kind, shall we?

every customs counter got big big sign say check passport before leaving...... obviously even their govt know they super jiu cheng...... and here we take things for granted....

Turbocharged

Once happened to me too. At causeway.

Passport #1 (with MACS): Kena stamp

Passport #2 (no MACS, with white card): no stamp

*facepalm*

fortunately we have a habit of checking, so after paying toll, we parked in the center divider lane where there is some space inbetween the pillars and walked back to the same counter. Found that staff was changed (new shift) so we explained to the new staff and he stamped passport #2.

probably the original staff was in a hurry to go off so she stamped the wrong passport.

moral of story: pls chk your passport

(edited)

write so lengthy and it can be summarize in 2 sentences.

i failed to check my passport for chop upon entry but the officers at CIQ let me off when leaving MY for spore.

Thank You encik for overlooking my ignorance.

Edited by Hamburger

i totally agree.

he was merely sharing.

write so lengthy and it can be summarize in 2 sentences.

i failed to check my passport for chop upon entry but the officers at CIQ let me off when leaving MY for spore.

Thank You encik for overlooking my ignorance.

and thank you encik for accepting my "token of appreciation"

why he no check?

happened to me once, me and another friend. 2 cars. we stopped in front at a gas station and walked all the way back and into the immigration office. luckily they never make us do squats naked

Onus is on one to check own passport right? [rolleyes]

Anyway do take note bros.

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_806070.html

Unstamped entry scare at Causeway

Published on Jun 2, 2012

PERHAPS visitors to Malaysia can learn from my experience on Tuesday, when I drove to Johor with a friend, via the Causeway ('KL to scrap arrival cards for foreigners'; May 19).

My friend's passport had a Malaysia Automated Clearance System (Macs) tag, which does not require his passport to be stamped when he enters the country. Mine did not, so it required an entry and exit stamp.

When I gave my passport to the immigration officer, I saw him key in my passport number, scan my passport, and stamp what I assumed - wrongly, it turned out - was my passport. When he returned it, I did not check if it had been stamped to show my entry into Malaysia.

On our way back to Singapore, the immigration officer at the departure counter told me that my passport did not bear the entry stamp, and that I faced two weeks' jail, plus a fine of RM1,000 (S$400).

As Malaysia no longer requires foreigners to fill in the embarkation card, I had no proof that I had entered the country legally. After much pleading, the officer let me through.

So, fellow travellers to Malaysia should make sure and check that their passports are stamped.

Steve Choo

boleh land everything boleh....I always check my or family passports before leaving counter...they just simply cannot be trusted.

The checking of your passport should be done whenever u travel to another country and not just boleh land.

Well the good thing i can say about the Malaysian immigration is that they try to keep both entry and exit stamps on the first few pages. Even if there is another pair of stamps on the page, if there is space, they will use the same page to save space.

I went to Australia recently, and they just bochup, entry stamp one page in the middle of the passport, exit stamp on another page a few dozen pages later. Walau eh!

Well the good thing i can say about the Malaysian immigration is that they try to keep both entry and exit stamps on the first few pages. Even if there is another pair of stamps on the page, if there is space, they will use the same page to save space.

I went to Australia recently, and they just bochup, entry stamp one page in the middle of the passport, exit stamp on another page a few dozen pages later. Walau eh!

u are absolutely right! Oz custom seem to chop anywhere....i got a exit chop right at the centre pages of the passport even though its a brand new passport. Same thing with Canadian Custom as well

The driver should look at the officer to see if the passport got chop. After getting back the passport, get the passenger to check one more time just to be safe.

↡ Advertisement