Good Workshop To Repair Clutch and Gearbox for Auto Trans

That is new to me, I was told the parts (washers, seals, bearings) come as a set and they usually replace all parts. If that is true, they probably won't last long in the business. But how did you verify that?

That's what Alvin told me when i went back to him becos my GB got problem after some time(about 10 months)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

That is new to me, I was told the parts (washers, seals, bearings) come as a set and they usually replace all parts. If that is true, they probably won't last long in the business. But how did you verify that?

Depending on the car, $2.8K sud b only a autobox overhaul or a repalcement 2nd hand autobox from the scrapyards or a repalcement re-built autobox..

One way to cfm if ty changed yr autobox or just repaired is to make a small mark on yr autobox b4 u send to ws. After ty finish u check if the mark is there or not.

New autobox u can see it looks very new. Repaired or 2nd hand autobox u can see it looks old.

I am not saying they must replace a new GB.They promise to replace the whole gear mechanism with new parts,but instead they only replace the worn parts.(If happen only 1 or 2 worn parts then for $2.8k)don't you think this is a rip off.

The $2.8K u pay is for the experience n knowledge of the mech to repair yr autobox to a very good condition.

As long as the autobox works very smoothly after repair, then u got what u want, right?

There are 2 types of GM-ATF. Different part numbers and labeling. The 6T40 uses (and must use) Dexron VI only.

There are other non-GM brands of Dexron VI ATF. Its probably the same but did not try. Saw them on the shelves of some workshops when I was asking around.

AW autobox don't have to worry.. All Cruze owners and some Epica owners are sweating..

I think only rating for GM Dexron has VI. Normal Dexron only goes upto Dexron III or IV.

Some ATF is rated as Dexron III but also GM-Dexron VI. It just means the ATF has a formulation acceptable for cars that need Dexron III or a GM car that needs GM-DEXRON VI rating.

Some ATF only has Dexron IIe but meets GM-Dexron VI rating too. Its all about the friction modifiers used.

I think only rating for GM Dexron has VI. Normal Dexron only goes upto Dexron III or IV.

Some ATF is rated as Dexron III but also GM-Dexron VI. It just means the ATF has a formulation acceptable for cars that need Dexron III or a GM car that needs GM-DEXRON VI rating.

Some ATF only has Dexron IIe but meets GM-Dexron VI rating too. Its all about the friction modifiers used.

According to what I have read, Dexron III is licensed by GM which has already ceased. Dexron VI is backward compatible but Dexron III is not forward compatible.

It seems the marketing of ATF is similar to that of Engine Oil -

e.g. meet or exceeds the latest API and ACEA requirements - but no starburst

or, as above "rated as Dexron III and Dexron VI" - GM already ceased Dexron III license.

My opinion as to why some of the Cruze on Dexron VI has transmission failure are basically,

a) the interpretation of the "lifetime" of the ATF, and

b) the type of engine oil used.

According to what I have read, Dexron III is licensed by GM which has already ceased. Dexron VI is backward compatible but Dexron III is not forward compatible.

It seems the marketing of ATF is similar to that of Engine Oil -

e.g. meet or exceeds the latest API and ACEA requirements - but no starburst

or, as above "rated as Dexron III and Dexron VI" - GM already ceased Dexron III license.

My opinion as to why some of the Cruze on Dexron VI has transmission failure are basically,

a) the interpretation of the "lifetime" of the ATF, and

b) the type of engine oil used.

Oh so Dexron is TM of GM then. I didnt know that. And now Dexron III cannot b found?

Wow so it gets quite confusing then. Many handbooks(non-GM cars) call for Dexron III but no mention if ty can use GM Dexron V. Then it becomes a "?".

Autobox failure cud b due to Engine Oil used as what u mentioned above. How is this so?????

Oh so Dexron is TM of GM then. I didnt know that. And now Dexron III cannot b found?

Wow so it gets quite confusing then. Many handbooks(non-GM cars) call for Dexron III but no mention if ty can use GM Dexron V. Then it becomes a "?".

Autobox failure cud b due to Engine Oil used as what u mentioned above. How is this so?????

Dexron III still can be found. EIther old stock or "compatible" as it is no longer licensed.

The newer Dexron is said to be compatible, but for Optra, please don't take the risk.

I cite from Optra experience.

The ATF flows out of the autobox to somewhere underneath the radiator and back to the autobox again.

The overall temperature will have an effect on the ATF as the main "killer" of the ATF is heat.

The engine oil, besides lubricating, removes heat from the moving parts of the engine.

The cooling system in tandem with the aircon system works in tandem to cool the engine.

Engine oil to be use depends on the usage. When the engine oil is not efficient or becomes less efficient in heat removal,

the overall temperature increases which in turns affects the ATF which in turns affect the autobox.

Some possible indication

- engine top cover gasket leaking

- thickening of engine oil

- golden engine or golden engine dip stick

There are several criteria to determine if vehicle is operating in "severe mode" requiring oil change every 5k and they are very applicable in SG. However, not many will accept to change engine oil every 5k. That is where a good or better quality engine oil comes into play.

Much earlier, I trend with UOA, typical for my usage, it is about 7-8k.

Here's my calculation based on internet information on when to change ATF. I read that come Cruze autobox fails around 60k ?

For Dexron III,

Normal service = 100 k

Severe service ( I consider SG as severe ) = 100 k divided by 2 = 50k

Chevy here usually change at 40k i.e. 80%

For Dexron VI,

Normal service = 160 k

Severe service = 160 k divided by 2 = 80 k

Therefore, local typical at 80% would be about 64k

As I type this, I now need to check my ATF level. I believe it may be compromised.

The "sealed" ATs do not have dipstick - thus level is not visible. The volume has to be determined from the gearbox manual.

ATF level should not drop unlike EO because there is no combustion (leaks aside)

Heat/Severe driving are related and I suspect the cooling requirements are underestimate for this 6T40.

I wonder how 160k for even normal driving allows the manufacturer to claim "no fluid change necessary thus its a sealed box".

Worst, they made it difficult to do the change and only 50 percent can be changed.

And the price per Lit?

Ya I went to hv a look at the new Cruze n Malibu at a road show recently but I doubt I wil get cos it seems like ty r quite problematic.

Maybe I just renew my old Optra COE another 10 years better.

I was told Malibu uses "stronger components" maybe 6T45. But then, if the cooling of the ATF is not optimal leading to shortening of the fluid's lifespan, stronger components does not solve the problem.

With the sky high COE prices now, the price differences of various makes may not be so great as compared to 5 years ago..

Dexron III still can be found. EIther old stock or "compatible" as it is no longer licensed.

The newer Dexron is said to be compatible, but for Optra, please don't take the risk.

I cite from Optra experience.

The ATF flows out of the autobox to somewhere underneath the radiator and back to the autobox again.

The overall temperature will have an effect on the ATF as the main "killer" of the ATF is heat.

The engine oil, besides lubricating, removes heat from the moving parts of the engine.

The cooling system in tandem with the aircon system works in tandem to cool the engine.

Engine oil to be use depends on the usage. When the engine oil is not efficient or becomes less efficient in heat removal,

the overall temperature increases which in turns affects the ATF which in turns affect the autobox.

Some possible indication

- engine top cover gasket leaking

- thickening of engine oil

- golden engine or golden engine dip stick

There are several criteria to determine if vehicle is operating in "severe mode" requiring oil change every 5k and they are very applicable in SG. However, not many will accept to change engine oil every 5k. That is where a good or better quality engine oil comes into play.

Much earlier, I trend with UOA, typical for my usage, it is about 7-8k.

Here's my calculation based on internet information on when to change ATF. I read that come Cruze autobox fails around 60k ?

For Dexron III,

Normal service = 100 k

Severe service ( I consider SG as severe ) = 100 k divided by 2 = 50k

Chevy here usually change at 40k i.e. 80%

For Dexron VI,

Normal service = 160 k

Severe service = 160 k divided by 2 = 80 k

Therefore, local typical at 80% would be about 64k

As I type this, I now need to check my ATF level. I believe it may be compromised.

I also feel this way. Thats why I prefer not to use RP synthetic ATF ( I used it b4 n found it damm good when it was rated ONLY Dexron IIe) since now its compatable with ATF other than Dexron. I feel there must b some sacrifices when ty make a One Size Fits All ATF.

I recently started using C@rlube synthetic ATF which meets or exceeds Dexron III n GM Dexron VI n the specs is recommended in my Optra handbook. The shifting is getting smoother the longer I use. I wil prob drain n fill every 40K-50K km at least as its synthetic n sud last that long.

I was told Malibu uses "stronger components" maybe 6T45. But then, if the cooling of the ATF is not optimal leading to shortening of the fluid's lifespan, stronger components does not solve the problem.

With the sky high COE prices now, the price differences of various makes may not be so great as compared to 5 years ago..

And now the Cruze n Malibu r using GM autobox n not the Aisin autobox.

Even worse is some of these autoboxes r made in China. I wonder how long the China made autobox wil last if its fitted in the SG cars. [sweatdrop]

The "sealed" ATs do not have dipstick - thus level is not visible. The volume has to be determined from the gearbox manual.

ATF level should not drop unlike EO because there is no combustion (leaks aside)

Heat/Severe driving are related and I suspect the cooling requirements are underestimate for this 6T40.

I wonder how 160k for even normal driving allows the manufacturer to claim "no fluid change necessary thus its a sealed box".

Worst, they made it difficult to do the change and only 50 percent can be changed.

There is a procedure for ATF change. IIRC, temperature is one component that determines the level which self adjust.

The question to ask is whether the vehicle cooling system is properly maintained.

a) The right engine oil with the right oil change cycle.

b) The coolant used is correct i.e. is the mixing ratio correct? is distilled water used? when coolant change was done, was all the coolant drained entirely?

I saw a diagram that it has a filler cap and drain plug so it is not entirely sealed. The change is temperature sensitive and the computer scanning tool is required. On specs, drain and top-up is more than 50%.

The Optra autobox is not "sealed". Even though it is easy to change, I have to "ensure" that the level is just right. That goes for the engine oil and the coolant level too.

I also feel this way. Thats why I prefer not to use RP synthetic ATF ( I used it b4 n found it damm good when it was rated ONLY Dexron IIe) since now its compatable with ATF other than Dexron. I feel there must b some sacrifices when ty make a One Size Fits All ATF.

I recently started using C@rlube synthetic ATF which meets or exceeds Dexron III n GM Dexron VI n the specs is recommended in my Optra handbook. The shifting is getting smoother the longer I use. I wil prob drain n fill every 40K-50K km at least as its synthetic n sud last that long.

For my Optra,

It is time to change ATF when there is a slight jerk during shifting or when the shifting takes slightly longer than usual,

It is time to change engine oil when I feel sudden engine smoothness after a period of roughness when mileage for the oil change is about the 6000 km or more mark.

For my Optra,

It is time to change ATF when there is a slight jerk during shifting or when the shifting takes slightly longer than usual,

It is time to change engine oil when I feel sudden engine smoothness after a period of roughness when mileage for the oil change is about the 6000 km or more mark.

I prefer to change ATF n EO b4 I detect anything unusual. I wud think by that time, some damage has already been done. [sweatdrop]

But I usually do the drain n fill of ATF at every 20-30K km when I was using a mineral ATF. Now with synthetic, I wil drag to abt double.

EO I change at 10K km but have been times I dragged til 12K km without any problems. EO Im using C@rlube 5w40 synthetic.

I prefer to change ATF n EO b4 I detect anything unusual. I wud think by that time, some damage has already been done. [sweatdrop]

But I usually do the drain n fill of ATF at every 20-30K km when I was using a mineral ATF. Now with synthetic, I wil drag to abt double.

EO I change at 10K km but have been times I dragged til 12K km without any problems. EO Im using C@rlube 5w40 synthetic.

You have to establish your own interval.

You mean now you no longer have the gasket leak issue ?

You have to establish your own interval.

You mean now you no longer have the gasket leak issue ?

That was quite long ago when I had it replaced in JB. Now the top manifold dun have any more leaking issues.

That was quite long ago when I had it replaced in JB. Now the top manifold dun have any more leaking issues.

That is good to know.

Anyone knows how much to overhaul 05 Altis gearbox?

During last servicing, noticed the ATF is black... flush n fill up new ATF. After 10km, turns black again...

Anyone knows how much to overhaul 05 Altis gearbox?

During last servicing, noticed the ATF is black... flush n fill up new ATF. After 10km, turns black again...

If u did the Drain n Fill (DnF) method, there is still abt half of the ATF balance in the aurobox n it wil quickly turn the clean ATF dark brown.

When I bought my Optra n found the ATF very dirty, I did the drain n Fill a few times b4 the ATF stayed clean. Now I just DnF every 20-30K km to keep it fresh.

I just switched to synthetic ATF so I prob leave it for 40-60K km b4 I DnF again.

Dun overhaul yr autobox just cos the ATF turns dark quickly. U r wasting a few thousand $$$ like that.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1