Looking for Lawyer For Will arrangement

QQDreamer

Hi All,

Anyone can recommend good lawyer with reasonable price for willing making arrangement when we are still healthy and living? Am thinking to make this arrangement for my next generation. Who knows what will really happen after we passed on. Also was thinking to make arrangement for CPF nomination also. If the child is still a minor below 21 years old means what ever that is nominated by me to my child will only distribute to him at 21 yrs old? Any one can recommend a good laywer with reasonable price for the will? Many thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Hi bro,

Sorry I Duno how to start a new thread

But been wanting to enquire something similar

Can piggy back ur thread, tks

Anyone knows if a person past on

What r the procedures to withdraw $ from his/her bank acc?

With death cert will do or have to have a will?

Ya, everyone has to pass on one fine day

To make things simple, maybe ts is right

Better to make a will

Stay healthy everybody

yes i think is very impt to make a will arrangement while we are still living and healthy.. just like the ferrari taxi driver, die liao also dunno what happen. Now the poor family needs to suffer.

Hi All,

Anyone can recommend good lawyer with reasonable price for willing making arrangement when we are still healthy and living? Am thinking to make this arrangement for my next generation. Who knows what will really happen after we passed on. Also was thinking to make arrangement for CPF nomination also. If the child is still a minor below 21 years old means what ever that is nominated by me to my child will only distribute to him at 21 yrs old? Any one can recommend a good laywer with reasonable price for the will? Many thanks.

Not really need a lawyer, Tried his service few year ago. Reasonable price at that time. Not sure now. No harm to get a quotn from him.

I m not related to him hor, just share share info. [cool]

http://www.probateenterprise.com/

1st Gear

1) You do not need a lawyer for CPF nomination. Just go to any CPF branch and make the nomination already. Unless the rule change, I received my share of CPF money well before I turned 21. CPF board called for bank account number and it was credited directly.

2) If the will is uncomplicated, you dont really need a lawyer. You just need two witnesses who will not be beneficiaries. However, if you foresee someone challenging the will, then you better make sure it is bulletproof with an expert, though again, not necessarily a lawyer. Make sure you appoint an executor of the estate, someone you can trust to properly distribute the assets according to the will. If you are talking about millions, then the executor better be knowledgeable.... then again, there is no more estate tax now, so I guess there is less song and dance with IRAS now.

3) If any of your potential beneficiaries is or potentially a bankrupt, please make a will to exclude this person, or the money, including CPF, will go straight to this person's creditors.

4) Please think about some unpleasant scenarios. For example, if your will name your spouse as the sole beneficiary, and you both die at the same time, and you have no kids, the money may head towards your parents-in-law ONLY. Your own parents will be quite pissed.

5) If a beneficiary is under 21, the estate will be held in trust by the executor until he/she turns 21....again, a bit complicated.

6) This happened before: some guy left a certain share to NKF, including his house. NKF caught wind of it, demanding their share of the house and the widow didnt have the money to pay up, so NKF sued the widow to sell the house. Think carefully if you want to include a charity, on how certain decisions can cause hardship to your loved ones.

(edited)

Really dont need a lawyer? otherwise all the monies distribution is legal bidding?

Really. I didnot use lawyer was bcos their service charge is expensive. Just get a will writer to

get the job done and register the WILL and make sure keep yr WILL at a proper place.

But of cos if you can afford to pay the lawyer, by all means, get a lawyer to do the WILL for you. [:)]

Edited by Cllee

1st Gear

Anyone knows if a person past on

What r the procedures to withdraw $ from his/her bank acc?

With death cert will do or have to have a will?

Please note if you go to a bank with a death cert, the first and only thing the bank will do is to freeze the account, even if it is a joint account.

Not that I am encouraging you to do this, as I am sure it is illegal, but if nobody challenges it, the bank usually will not care much if you move money around, using, say internet banking if you know the password. But if an account is paying bills via GIRO, dont freeze it by walking to the bank with a death cert.

Will or no will, the bank will not release the money until they get the all clear from IPTO and IRAS, and this is a legal process involving the courts, as the deceased may have debts to pay up first.

Tks for ur inputs,

Understand what u mean by not getting the ac freeze

Lol

Something in my extended family happened recently so I like to learn more

Scenario was, the mum past away thru illness

The family approached the banks with death cert

But somehow someone asked them if there's a will

No one knows anything

N everyone seems busy looking around possible areas to check if there's any will left behind

Eg safe, or house etc

Sorry I Duno whole picture n Its not nice to ask much at this time

But for own curiosty n knowledge

I like to learn more n understand

That's y now I see situation is everyone searching for a will but nobody knows whether does this paper exsits

Quite complicated n messy

I really think yup, we should have a will done

N after reading then I realized dun really need a lawyer if we not talking about huge estate

Cheers n tks

Really. I didnot use lawyer was bcos their service charge is expensive. Just get a will writer to

get the job done and register the WILL and make sure keep yr WILL at a proper place.

But of cos if you can afford to pay the lawyer, by all means, get a lawyer to do the WILL for you. [:)]

what is the cost can advise?

I think a party of the deceased can apply for a letter of adminstration over the assets of the deceased.

There is a hierarchy on who gets the priority for being the adminstrator for this.. If the deceased was married, then the spouse gets the first priority.. If not married, the parents will have the first priority followed by siblings etc..

I know because I met my lawyer recently following the death of my mother-in-law.. She did not have a will..

Neutral Newbie

My wife and I just done up our Will last week. But we went thru Manulife and they help us to "plan" what is the "necessary amount" if either of us passes on first. Of course, end of the day they will ask if you want to take up some insurance plan from them but you can always say no. They have their list of lawyers to help us with the Offical Will. i think the lawyer fee is around $450-550.

Just to take note the diffences with Will and No Will.

Actually you spend more money and time if you have NO Will because of "administrative fee" for the court, executor and etc... (too many things, i cannot rem) =)

With Will, of course there is some amount of "administrative fee" but everything will be faster and easier.

One thing to share also. I just got to know this too.

If the couple passes on at the same time. (touch wood touch wood) bcos couple normally go holiday together ma

By LAW, Male will consider the first one who passed away and follow by female.

So all the male assets will go to the female. The female also no longer around right, so all the assets (male + female) will go to the female's family.

But if the female's family is willing to share with the Male's side then no problem lah.

If both family dun give way, then you will see HONG KONG drama....

what is the cost can advise?

It depends on the number of the pages of your WILL, more pages more money. [laugh]

My simple WILL, less than 7 pages, I spent less than $400 if i remember correctly few years ago.

My wife and I just done up our Will last week. But we went thru Manulife and they help us to "plan" what is the "necessary amount" if either of us passes on first. Of course, end of the day they will ask if you want to take up some insurance plan from them but you can always say no. They have their list of lawyers to help us with the Offical Will. i think the lawyer fee is around $450-550.

Just to take note the diffences with Will and No Will.

Actually you spend more money and time if you have NO Will because of "administrative fee" for the court, executor and etc... (too many things, i cannot rem) =)

With Will, of course there is some amount of "administrative fee" but everything will be faster and easier.

One thing to share also. I just got to know this too.

If the couple passes on at the same time. (touch wood touch wood) bcos couple normally go holiday together ma

By LAW, Male will consider the first one who passed away and follow by female.

So all the male assets will go to the female. The female also no longer around right, so all the assets (male + female) will go to the female's family.

But if the female's family is willing to share with the Male's side then no problem lah.

If both family dun give way, then you will see HONG KONG drama....

Very useful info, thanks for sharing. :D

Hypersonic

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you_an...ing_a_will.aspx

What is a Will

A person makes a Will to provide for the administration and distribution of what he owns ('his estate') among his beneficiaries after his death. This person is called 'the testator'. 'Beneficiaries' are those who inherit or benefit under the Will. The 'Executor' is the person nominated by the testator to administer and distribute his estate upon his death. Usually, the same person is appointed as executor and trustee (a person who has the power to hold the estate of the deceased on the death of the deceased).

If there are beneficiaries who are minors (persons under the age of 21 years) named in your Will, it will be preferable to have at least two Executors/Trustees who would be able to administer or hold any assets or invest or use any money for the benefit of the minors.

Do You Need a Lawyer

If you are 21 years and of sound mind, you may make your own Will and change it at any time during your life without consulting a lawyer. But the risk is that your home-made Will may be ineffective or invalid, causing your beneficiaries to suffer unnecessary expense. It is therefore in your interest to consult a lawyer who can advise you and draft your Will for you according to law.

However, if you are a soldier in active military service, or a mariner or a seaman at sea, you may make a Will even though you are under 21 years of age

What You Can Include in a Will

You should state the person(s) or organisation(s) ('Beneficiaries') to whom you wish to give away your property and assets. For example, you may give away your house, car, shares, insurance policies, bank accounts, cash and jewellery to family members, friends or to charities.

Money in Your Central Provident Fund ('CPF')

If you have made a nomination under the CPF Act, your nominee shall be entitled to the funds in your CPF account regardless of what is stated in your Will. If you have not made a nomination, your funds will be distributed under the law in accordance with the Intestate Succession Act.

If you get married after making a nomination, your nomination made before marriage is automatically cancelled, unless you say that it was made in contemplation of marriage. Therefore, you ought to make a new nomination after marrying.

Witness Your Will

This is an important stage of the process. The signing of your Will must be witnessed by two persons and they must both be present at the same time. Witnesses must not be beneficiaries under the Will. Neither can they be the husband or wife of any of the beneficiaries.

Changing Your Will

Never attempt to change your Will by crossing parts out or adding words in or by attaching anything to it. If you do so your Will may become ineffective or invalid. If you wish to change your Will, either make a fresh Will or prepare a Supplemental Will (a 'Codicil').

Reviewing Your Will

If you marry or remarry, your Will is nullified or cancelled unless the Will was made in contemplation of your marriage.

You should review your Will if any of the following happens:

if you change your name or anyone mentioned in the Will changes his name;

if an executor or trustee dies or becomes incapable of carrying out his duties owing to ill-health;

if a beneficiary dies;

if you subsequently sell or part with any property mentioned in the Will;

if there is any significant change in circumstances, for example, when you acquire property or assets which have not been mentioned in your Will.

It is advisable to review your Will regularly.

Making Known Your Will

Although a Will is a private document, it is important that your family and especially your executors know that you have a Will and where you have kept it. If you wish, your lawyer will look after it for you. You should then give your executors your lawyer's name and address. You may also register and deposit information of your Will at the Will Registry upon payment of a fee.

Administering Your Estate

Your Will takes effect upon your death. Your executors would have to apply to Court for a Grant of Probate. The Court will only issue the Grant after it is satisfied that all procedural requirements are met. Estate Duty clearance will be required before a Grant is obtained, (before the abolition of Estate Duty in 2008).

However, the executors have the power by virtue of your Will to act even before the Grant is issued. For example, your executors may pay or release debts and transfer property or assets. But it is necessary to obtain the approval of the Commissioner for Estate Duty, before the abolition of Estate Duty, when dealing with landed property or major assets. In this case, it is also necessary to get a copy of the Grant of Probate.

Once the Grant of Probate is issued, the Will becomes a public document. The original Will is retained by the Court. The executors will be given a copy of the Will together with the Grant. All your property and assets will then pass to your executors, who will have the responsibility of administering and distributing the estate according to the instructions in your Will.

If You Do Not Make a Will

If you pass away without making a Will, your assets will be distributed according to the rules of intestacy as laid down in the Intestate Succession Act. Your lawyer can advise you about these rules and how they apply to you. If you die without making a Will, your estate may be distributed to persons to whom you do not intend to give anything.

Also, you cannot choose the people who will look after your estate. They are called "administrators" instead of executors although they will have the same responsibilities. They have to apply to Court for "Letters of Administration" instead of the Grant of Probate and the procedure is generally more complicated and lengthy. For example, the administrators will have to provide two guarantors unless they get approval from the Court not to have such guarantors.

Therefore, if you want to provide especially for your family members, friends or a charity after your death, you should consider making a Will as it will be easier and more convenient.

Cost

If you are concerned about the cost of making a Will discuss this with your Lawyer. You can ask your lawyer for an estimate of the costs involved before appointing him.

Syariah Law

Some of the points mentioned above do not apply to Muslims. Under Section 115(1) of the Administration of Muslim Law Act, the beneficiaries must apply to the President of the Syariah Court for an Inheritance Certificate to establish the share of each beneficiary. Muslims can only dispose of or give away 1/3 of their estate to persons who are not already entitled under the Inheritance Certificate mentioned above.

Neutral Newbie

Just did a will through lawyer this year. Painless process, about $ 250. For peace of mind, The money is well spent I feel. They will deposit the will in some form of depository, so even if the law firm closes down, your will would still be valid.

Just did a will through lawyer this year. Painless process, about $ 250. For peace of mind, The money is well spent I feel. They will deposit the will in some form of depository, so even if the law firm closes down, your will would still be valid.

any recommendation to your lawyer who does this for u?

↡ Advertisement