Luxury cars nudging cheaper cars off road

Darthrevan

Sure, those people can all read brochures. And you're just quoting multiple websites that cite the same brochure. [rolleyes].

Did any of those people actually test the car? My reference had pros testing the car in stock form at 7.3s. Whom should I believe? The manufacturer PR hype or an actual track test? Japanese manufacturers have been known to inflate claims, you know.

Anyway, even 6 dead is still not that fast, sorry.

Nope, they were ACTUAL tested at 6 secs - read again!

And sorry, 6 dead IS fast for a 2L NA.

Definitely faster than the EG and EK stock!

↡ Advertisement

Anyway, even 6 dead is still not that fast, sorry.

Yanda deh!

To put things in perspective, this 2L NA of a car is FASTER than a VW Golf GTI (a 2L TC).

6.0 secs vs the GTI's 6.9 secs, both stock, on paper!

Don't yaya lar. 2 litre stock form 6 secs still not that fast?? Your car what? Bugatti Veyron ah? 2.8 secs. [laugh]

I enjoy both stats and actual feels.

Also, if she cant do sub 4s, but makes me feel she does, I am happy to ride her just the same. :D

I think 6+ sec is pretty quick, but not sports car standard these days. Even hot hatch & decent German marque (not talking about the sport models) can outrun it easily in normal driving condition (accelerate from stop, overtaking etc), worst ...

Like I say again, need to put things in the correct perspective.

The BRZ at 0-100 in 6 secs flat is indeed QUICKER than a VW Golf GTI.

With a Torsen LSD, the BRZ should be able to take corners with greater aplomb than the GTI, which lacks one.

Not to mention that the BRZ is suspended so very close to the ground!

At least we need not go down to showroom to admire the luxury brands. It's more pleasant to the eyes with road flooded with luxury cars than geely or proton right .. Lol

+1

Don't yaya lar. 2 litre stock form 6 secs still not that fast?? Your car what? Bugatti Veyron ah? 2.8 secs. [laugh]

Actually for a car as BRZ, with it's power to weight ratio, I was expecting a low 5.

For that price, and with cheapo plasticky interior, it is reasonable to expect that to be compensated by better performance.

6 - 7 secs is not that fast. I drive an A5 if you must know where stock is already 6.6, and it's not even a performance car.

That is why IMHO, a BRZ is not a good deal.

No yaya, my car is definitely not a Veyron (check my profile), but it's certainly faster than 6s. I still wouldn't consider it blindingly fast or anything (which is why I'm deciding between either a GTR or a turbo model of my current car).

Sorry lah, my butt can easily tell the difference between mid-4s (my WRX after mods), mid-5s (my current car), high-5s (my WRX when stock when launched hard) and low 6s (my WRX when stock when rolled gently from a start).

6+ sec is not slow (and I never said it was), but not *that* fast lah, sorry.

And I still doubt whether it can actually do a sub-7s 0 to 100 km/hr in the real world. Considering that a reference I trust tested it at a whopping 7.3s.

At that price point, and with a label of "sports car", I expect more.

Edited by Turboflat4

Nope, they were ACTUAL tested at 6 secs - read again!

OK, WHERE does it say that, in those three "references" you cited? Show me, lah!

If you're comparing to cars that I don't consider fast, I have nothing to say.

And, as I said, I don't *care* whether it's N/A or FI. What works, works. Why do you think so many respected conti marques that previously swore by N/A have done a 180 and started FI-ing their engines? [rolleyes]

And, btw, we're going a little OT. But one point is still very much ON topic, and that's this: if Japanese car makers are going to "resurrect" their old legends (AE86 here) in neutered form (compared to what's available today), *and* price it at such a ridiculous level (unavoidable in Singapore, with the COE being what it is), then we can certainly expect other players like the conti marques to sweep in and seize the market. Which they've done!

Note that if Nissan released an even more powerful and more awesome version of the GTR (already great to begin with) right now, I don't think it'll sell too badly. The point is, it's not about brand snobbery only, it's about what you get for what you pay.

It's an unfortunate confluence of events - but the Japanese not bringing their A-game with this hotly anticipated car, and the COE soaring back to near-historical highs - well, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I wonder if they could've lowered the price a little, after all the Yen has weakened against the SGD again. Would've made things a little better, but not by much.

And, as I said, I don't *care* whether it's N/A or FI. What works, works. Why do you think so many respected conti marques that previously swore by N/A have done a 180 and started FI-ing their engines? [rolleyes]

Here we are not talking about super cars yah.

So you can forget about GTRs and the likes. Price also not comparable lah.

As W210K has pointed out, a Golf GTI is respected to be a decently fast car.

Now the BRZ's century sprint of 6 secs is faster than the GTI.

Enuf said.

Euro emission specs legislation is the single main driving force for conti manufacturers going to FI engines, first and foremost. It's got nothing to do with power - although that is the icing on the cake. If you do not meet stringent Euro emissions spec, you don't get to market your product.

6+ sec is not slow (and I never said it was), but not *that* fast lah, sorry.

Sorry, but I say again, 6 secs flat from a 2L NA is very respectable indeed.

I don't really care what the FIs can do, it's faster than the iconic Golf GTI anyway.

Even faster than the F30 328i, the 308 GTI, or the Cooper-S, Volvo T5, all the Audi 2.0TFSIs, RX8.

Come off it!

Edited by Astrid

Sorry, but I say again, 6 secs flat from a 2L NA is very respectable indeed.

I don't really care what the FIs can do, it's faster than the iconic Golf GTI anyway.

Even faster than the F30 328i, the 308 GTI, or the Cooper-S, Volvo T5, all the Audi 2.0TFSIs, RX8.

Come off it!

OK, lah, OK, lah, you win OK? You think it's so fast, please go and splurge on the car at the current COE levels. Just don't come complaining when you get humiliated from the stop lights by every sedan with a 3+l engine or every beng car with an FI 2l engine.

Edited by Turboflat4

OK, WHERE does it say that, in those three "references" you cited? Show me, lah!

Simply because of EU emission standard.

Simply because of EU emission standard.

Because FI is a better design that allows an engine to put out more power (and definitely more torque) with lower displacement and lower emissions.

OK, lah, OK, lah, you win OK? You think it's so fast, please go and splurge on the car at the current COE levels. Just don't come complaining when you get humiliated from the stop lights by every sedan with a 3+l engine or every beng car with an FI 2l engine.

It's really nothing about whose faster.

It's about balance and control.

The 'fun' factor in a car, the handling and poise.

You get to enjoy driving, where the point-A-to-B speedsters won't!

Watch this FT86 track test video:

http://www.google.com.sg/url?q=http://www....BtO1uIvzdhmq-5A

Edited by Astrid

Because FI is a better design that allows an engine to put out more power (and definitely more torque) with lower displacement and lower emissions.

But with lower longer-term reliability ...

May work better in temperate climes, but certainly not in the hot tropics.

Heard of heat soak problems?

But with lower longer-term reliability ...

May work better in temperate climes, but certainly not in the hot tropics.

Heard of heat soak problems?

I can guarantee you that all factory stock and most well-tuned, conservatively-modded FI engines will long outlast our 10-year COE. [laugh]

Why bother with decades of reliability in Singapore?

Are you just throwing out catchphrases like "heat soak" to sound smart? Have you actually owned, lived with, driven and tracked one of these cars? I've "lived and loved" many FI cars, so I know the strengths and problems, believe me.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement