Luxury cars nudging cheaper cars off road

Darthrevan

Premium marques are crowding out the bread-and-butter brands in the small cars category as certificate of entitlement (COE) prices zoom north.

According to the Motor Traders Association (MTA), premium and luxury brands made up 45 per cent of sales in the up-to-1,600cc segment in the first quarter.

In the same period in 2007, they had a negligible 0.3 per cent slice of the segment.

COE prices for the small cars category, seen as the category for the most affordable cars in Singapore, are now hovering above $60,000, compared with $5,000 five years ago.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_791136.html

--------------

uniquely sinkapor..as COEs become pricier..pple purchase more expensive cars! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

All thanks to the 60.1%.............

Purpose of COE is to simply allow rich people to have a clear road to enjoy.....

Neutral Newbie

Purpose of COE is to simply allow rich people to have a clear road to enjoy.....

If not for this, along with others, there will be no point for a car since everyone is flooding the roads with it since its affordable. There should be more that has to be done to control congestion- especially those who are only able to afford a car through financial leverage. My 2cts.

Now the road still very congested, despite that the COE already become so high. Cause the bulk of the cars on the road still belong to the super low COE era. [:p]

I believe will be Cat B = 60%, Cat A = 40%

Another way to show off wealth:-

Buy high prices catA COE for non highend car, its like tell pple that he can afford COE which costs more than the car many times.

Buy high prices catA COE for non highend car, its like tell pple that he can afford COE which costs more than the car many times.

Or better, buy 1.8l Altis at current price. [laugh]

Just checked today, 157k for the Altis 1.8l. I think even the SE will either laugh secretly at one corner, or stretch his/her head after he handed the key to the new owner.

Or better, buy 1.8l Altis at current price. [laugh]

Just checked today, 157k for the Altis 1.8l. I think even the SE will either laugh secretly at one corner, or stretch his/her head after he handed the key to the new owner.

Never understood the reason for AD to bring in the Altis 1.8l version. I think it might be wiser for them to bring in other more desirable models like the Landcruiser Prado instead.

I may cycle more often instead (train breaks down regularly)

That's why the Cat B Subaru BRZ at $190,000 cannot sell!

At that price, most 'normal' SGean families will buy a luxury car.

But the boy ricers who have wet dreams for a BRZ is just money no enough.

So left only the older, mid-life-crisis, lau-hiau unkers, who can afford [laugh]

Even I can afford it, I wouldn't pay $190K for the BRZ or GT-86, it is just over priced !

The more reasonable price would between Camry and Altis 1.6.

In my opinion, I think "Doyoda" needs a better pricing strategy to win market share, not only S'pore, but globally. ie : The Prius, it should have priced it competitively in the world to establish market leading position, before it is taken over by European's technology trend of "small engine + turbo + 6G".

100% agree

expressway lane1 always hog by those cmi econ box the likes of jap/kor b-------t cars, out of breath so easily & so scared of wet rain yet still hold up entire road

we dont pay such ex insur & car money to assoc with these peasants' ride

Even I can afford it, I wouldn't pay $190K for the BRZ or GT-86, it is just over priced !

For that kinda money, or thereabouts, can get the BMW 120i Coupe, or the Audi A4 1.8 TFSI!

Both also Cat B.

Yah, handling-wise, the BRZ may gave an edge, lowered c.g., boxer engine and all.

But not for $190,000 lah. Nuts!

For that kinda money, or thereabouts, can get the BMW 120i Coupe, or the Audi A4 1.8 TFSI!

Both also Cat B.

Yah, handling-wise, the BRZ may gave an edge, lowered c.g., boxer engine and all.

But not for $190,000 lah. Nuts!

100-130k brz manual gb, i no regrets

That's why the Cat B Subaru BRZ at $190,000 cannot sell!

At that price, most 'normal' SGean families will buy a luxury car.

But the boy ricers who have wet dreams for a BRZ is just money no enough.

So left only the older, mid-life-crisis, lau-hiau unkers, who can afford [laugh]

Unfortunately, it's still a slow-ass car. If it wasn't, I might consider it. A used GTR still makes far more sense for a person who wants a Japanese sports car within that budget.

Edited by Turboflat4

100% agree

expressway lane1 always hog by those cmi econ box the likes of jap/kor b-------t cars, out of breath so easily & so scared of wet rain yet still hold up entire road

we dont pay such ex insur & car money to assoc with these peasants' ride

Such silly notion and sweeping statement couldn't have come from someone who has basic IQ. [thumbsdown]

Haven't you come across different makes of cars (besides in your words "econ box the likes of jap/kor") including the luxury ones which can run but crawl along lane 1 simply because the driver is inconsiderate????

Little wonder why we have so many unfriendly and arrogant drivers on the road these days despite better education which obviously missed out civic lessons. [shakehead]

Sheesh!

Edited by Neutralsg

Unfortunately, it's still a slow-ass car. If it wasn't, I might consider it. A used GTR still makes far more sense for a person who wants a Japanese sports car within that budget.

0-100 in 6s not too bad for a 2L NA car leh!

Faster than stock EG or EK what?

And got 100BHP/L like the Hondas too!

All from NA hor.

↡ Advertisement