USB Power points

Calvinus

I find that we are increasingly having more and more devices in the car. Mobile phones (sometimes got 2), GPS, in-car camera, electronic ionizers etc...

The supplied 12v cigarette lighter point is just insufficient to accomodate these devices. Is there anyway I can integrate more power points in the car and where I can get this done professionally or do it myself?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Some cars come with more than 1.

Some plugs come with more than 1 USB port too. I've seen 1 plug with 2 USB ports.

There are also the so-called extension which from one split into three but I find it quite ugly.

What is your main consideration? Cost or Look?

I more interested in USB power socket at home... lol lol...

However, I've seen ppl integrating USB HUb in the car for Power draw... workmanship depends who u find lor...

Neutral Newbie

However, I've seen ppl integrating USB HUb in the car for Power draw...

Nice, something that really never cross my mind.

Anyway, for TS, some devices I would prefer hard wired. For example, GPS, Car camera. Save the wires cluttering.

Basically, anything which you are unlikely to remove it frequently or any time soon.

Edited by Kazuo

tapping into this thread i agree that nowadays more and more USB devices. I think generally most of us will carry a Iphone at least nowadays. Sometimes we not only have one set but 2 to 3 sets. As most of the cars generally are design with only one cigar sockets than we need to buy those after aftermarket sockets which make it into 2 sockets etc... my question now is whether adding extra sockets will overload the alternator or even the battery. I am thinking of DIY a socket in my boot so that i can mayne use if for a 12V fridge for picnic purposes. Anyone knows if adding more sockets will overload the battery or alternator?

Nice, something that really never cross my mind.

Anyway, for TS, some devices I would prefer hard wired. For example, GPS, Car camera. Save the wires cluttering.

Basically, anything which you are unlikely to remove it frequently or any time soon.

How to hard wire them? Can do it ourselves or need to go to workshop?

If latter, how much would it cost?

Thanks! :D

quite a simple job only. locate the fuse rack in your interior cabin. look for the cigar fuse as per your fuse rack diagram and connect it accordingly.

tapping into this thread i agree that nowadays more and more USB devices. I think generally most of us will carry a Iphone at least nowadays. Sometimes we not only have one set but 2 to 3 sets. As most of the cars generally are design with only one cigar sockets than we need to buy those after aftermarket sockets which make it into 2 sockets etc... my question now is whether adding extra sockets will overload the alternator or even the battery. I am thinking of DIY a socket in my boot so that i can mayne use if for a 12V fridge for picnic purposes. Anyone knows if adding more sockets will overload the battery or alternator?

prepare to void your warranty, your insurance and your safety.

I DIY-ed. Bought a 1 to 4 ciggie plug splitter with independent switches. One for GPS, one for in veh camp, one for BB charger and one spare for handsfree charger if required. I ran the wiring under the dash's plastic moulding which can be quite easily removed thus exposed wiring is only the required length to get the job done (connection to the required device). All the hardware can be bought off eBay and my guestimate is around SGD 15 less.

Neutral Newbie

I would go to workshop to let the 'professional' do it.

They will just find the power source to connect to. Or splice up existing ones to tap the power.

I am unable to let you know the price, cos it might varies depending if you purchase anything from them and type of car. Some workshop don't dare to mess with conti car wiring or electrical parts.

Try not to allow yr auto electrician to cut wire harness to tap power supply, this may cause volt drop to the original accessories unless he or she has the circuit drawing.The chance of they having such drawings is very very slim unless they are from AD.

If you need to tap power for new accessories use a fuse extension block ( either a ATO/ATC or mini fuse type). Before removing the fuse from the existing fuse box, decide whether you want a hot wire ( power supply is on even when the ignition switch is off )or not . Remove the selected fuse and plug in the extension unit. Place the original fuse to one of the two slot on the extension. Use a fresh fuse for the next slot. Connect the new acc live wire to the extension pigtail and the other ground wire to the car body. Very simple ,neat and safe.

post-272-1334918858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Okay, I will go to ZMC to seek their advice on this.

From what I understand, can wire those devices you will always need (incar camera, black box, GPS, 1xIphone charger) internally. I am not so sure about the Iphone actually given that we may one day decide to change to Samsung Note or something fancy...

Some cars come with more than 1.

Some plugs come with more than 1 USB port too. I've seen 1 plug with 2 USB ports.

There are also the so-called extension which from one split into three but I find it quite ugly.

What is your main consideration? Cost or Look?

Yeah, really some cars has multiple usb port for multiple use.

↡ Advertisement