PRC's Mighty Dragon takes to the skies

Ahtong

New pictures of the China's J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter have surfaced and are making their way across military blogs.

This newest round of photos show the J-20 in the skies somewhere over mainland China.

The prototype is said to be using the Saturn AL-31 turbofan engine developed by the Russians for their Su-27 air superiority fighter.

Reuben Johnson at The Washington Times reports the Chinese may be as much as 10 years away from producing an original stealth engine to slip into the J-20.

In the meantime, they'll have to take comfort in the fact that while the F-22 Raptor may be more agile and made entirely in the U.S., the Dragon carries more fuel and weapons than Lockheed's fighter.

The J-20's development is also moving along much faster than anyone had expected. Back in 2009, Gen. He Weirong, deputy commander of the People

↡ Advertisement

I am looking at those wings and wonder the design is more for speed and less on maneuverability...

are you saying that a canard design is less agile than a delta wing design? from what i read, canards tend to have better lift performance and generally better aerodynamics characteristics. There are quite few canard designs out there and i understand that some suffer from pitch control problems.

Turbocharged

are you saying that a canard design is less agile than a delta wing design? from what i read, canards tend to have better lift performance and generally better aerodynamics characteristics. There are quite few canard designs out there and i understand that some suffer from pitch control problems.

Canard design has very high maneuverability but almost impossible to fly without small minute corrections done automatically by onboard computers..

So they better make sure their computers don't crash

Don't look down on the Chinese when it comes to such things.

Not a laughing matter when they start to mass produce their weaponry.....

Their cars have been making steady progress. New Chinese cars under the GM brand is doing well.

(edited)

Canard design has very high maneuverability but almost impossible to fly without small minute corrections done automatically by onboard computers..

So they better make sure their computers don't crash

actually most modern airframe are inherently unstable so they are using "fly by wire" technology. However you did bring up correctly my point which i was earlier trying to bring across to dankoo.

I am looking at those wings and wonder the design is more for speed and less on maneuverability...

Edited by Happily1986

New pictures of the China's J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter have surfaced and are making their way across military blogs.

This newest round of photos show the J-20 in the skies somewhere over mainland China.

The prototype is said to be using the Saturn AL-31 turbofan engine developed by the Russians for their Su-27 air superiority fighter.

Reuben Johnson at The Washington Times reports the Chinese may be as much as 10 years away from producing an original stealth engine to slip into the J-20.

In the meantime, they'll have to take comfort in the fact that while the F-22 Raptor may be more agile and made entirely in the U.S., the Dragon carries more fuel and weapons than Lockheed's fighter.

The J-20's development is also moving along much faster than anyone had expected. Back in 2009, Gen. He Weirong, deputy commander of the People

(edited)

sr-71-ec95-42883-4.jpg

pork kar chng porker is quite right. Sans the front canards, the rear fuselage do bear some resemblance in the outline. However the SR-71 is far more elegant looking with the right curves and apparently more stealthy too.

Edited by Happily1986

pork kar chng porker is quite right. Sans the front canards, the rear fuselage do bear some resemblance in the outline. However the SR-71 is far more elegant looking with the right curves and apparently more stealthy too.

Blackbird.

Still the fastest jet at Mach 3+ IIRC...

Turbocharged

I thought the SR-71 is far from stealthy? it's RCS is much much bigger than the first true Stealth Fighter (F-117A)... But due to it's speed and altitude, it's nearly invulnerable..

Accelerating would typically be enough to evade a missile fired against an SR-71.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-71A#Stealt...hreat_avoidance

↡ Advertisement