Reflect : I Was Accused Of Siding .......

Maxus-MIFA9

Quote from CNA report: Baey Yam Keng apologises for comments over foreign student's remark

SINGAPORE: Tampines MP Baey Yam Keng apologised in Parliament Tuesday, for his comments over a remark by a foreign student here on a Singapore government scholarship.

Mr Baey has been accused of not standing up for Singaporeans.

But he said that was never his intention.

The comment by China national Sun Xu, that "there are more dogs than humans in Singapore", had sparked plenty of comments after it went viral online.

The final-year Mechanical Engineering student at the National University of Singapore had posted the remark on his microblog, after describing how some "uncles" in Singapore would stare at him after he brushed against them in public.

Some netizens also took issue with the fact that Sun is a government scholar.

Mr Baey was later quoted by a newspaper saying that there might be something in Sun's words that Singaporeans could reflect on.

This added to the furore, even after Mr Baey subsequently explained on his Facebook - saying he did not agree with Sun's comment, but that he felt Singaporeans could be more open to criticism.

And he maintained this stand in Parliament on Tuesday, although he apologised to those who felt hurt by his words.

"In trying to give the benefit of doubt to what the student said, and attempting to soothe the hard feelings of some Singaporeans, I was accused of siding with a foreigner and not standing up for fellow Singaporeans. It was never my intention to undermine Singaporeans but to those whom my words have hurt, I am sorry," said Mr Baey.

But he also noted the frustration among Singaporeans on being squeezed out by foreigners, whether it's for seats in the train, or for places in schools.

He said that negative sentiments against foreigners should not all be treated as noise.

What he has learnt, he said, is that he needs to be more sensitive to how people might read into certain words.

And he said the same applies for policymakers when they craft, implement and communicate policies.

- CNA/cc

He apologised, never his intention but he maintained his stand...... [sly]

What he means ... :blink:

↡ Advertisement

Quote from CNA report: Baey Yam Keng apologises for comments over foreign student's remark

SINGAPORE: Tampines MP Baey Yam Keng apologised in Parliament Tuesday, for his comments over a remark by a foreign student here on a Singapore government scholarship.

The comment by China national Sun Xu, that "there are more dogs than humans in Singapore", had sparked plenty of comments after it went viral online.

The final-year Mechanical Engineering student at the National University of Singapore had posted the remark on his microblog, after describing how some "uncles" in Singapore would stare at him after he brushed against them in public.

Mr Baey was later quoted by a newspaper saying that there might be something in Sun's words that Singaporeans could reflect on.

This added to the furore, even after Mr Baey subsequently explained on his Facebook - saying he did not agree with Sun's comment, but that he felt Singaporeans could be more open to criticism.

And he maintained this stand in Parliament on Tuesday, although he apologised to those who felt hurt by his words.

"In trying to give the benefit of doubt to what the student said, and attempting to soothe the hard feelings of some Singaporeans, I was accused of siding with a foreigner and not standing up for fellow Singaporeans. It was never my intention to undermine Singaporeans but to those whom my words have hurt, I am sorry," said Mr Baey.

But he also noted the frustration among Singaporeans on being squeezed out by foreigners, whether it's for seats in the train, or for places in schools.

He said that negative sentiments against foreigners should not all be treated as noise.

What he has learnt, he said, is that he needs to be more sensitive to how people might read into certain words.

And he said the same applies for policymakers when they craft, implement and communicate policies.

- CNA/cc

baey not simple, but does he also mean mendINwhite should also open to criticisms?

Maybe Ah Baey and the gahment should reflect why the uncle stare at sun xu, a Aht Tiong. Why the the nation and other countries like HK and Taiwan are so intolerance to them.. Please reflect on this mr baey..

- CNA/cc[/b]

the bold is what he meant. dont think anyone is in agreement with him though.

Edited by Joseph22

the prc stoodent said there are more doggies in singapore than humans, maybe ah bay think the humans are those in white, and the doggies are the common poor citizen voters...

maybe he agrees with the prc stoodent?????

can't imagine an MP didn't stand up strongly for his cuntrymen when being called doggie

the bold is what he meant. dont think anyone is in agreement with him though.

What he needs is just apologised and say never his intention. Simple as that and the chapter closed.

But why he say 'he maintain his stand' .... :blink::blink:

Surely he has mastered the art of saying the word 'I'm Sorry' without any obligation and real intention.

This we must all learn from him.

so, 'my apology' but I maintain my stand ...... [sly]

What he needs is just apologised and say never his intention. Simple as that and the chapter closed.

But why he say 'he maintain his stand' .... :blink::blink:

Maybe he thought singaporean can mind read what he want to say bah...

Baey started on the wrong foot and now 越苗越黑。。suspect his intent is to ask Singaporeans not to hv that anger rush in them n take this camly and listen to what the boy wanna say.... [laugh] uses the wrong word and the wrong time... perhaps he would like singapore to be more receptive towards foreigners but if u keep hvg such "foreign talents" dropping rocks on their own foot, you cannot stop Singaporeans from feeling lousy abt it and be angry abt it... Trying to be a mediator or Mr Nice Guy wld nt be a good move.... guess it is time to teach MPs how to express well publicly..Baey may hv contributed well to his area (my guess) but it did not go well for the recent statement... If he truly understands what Singaporeans are going through, he should first reprimand the chinese and that he be put under disciplinary charge.... Assure Singaporeans that the relevant authority shall be looking into this matter and send out a strong and clear message to the rest that while we welcome foreign talents, we do not condone to rubbish remarks....这次要杀一警百...以免祸患

the prc stoodent said there are more doggies in singapore than humans, maybe ah bay think the humans are those in white, and the doggies are the common poor citizen voters...

can't imagine an MP didn't stand up strongly for his cuntrymen when being called doggie

Well, he did stand up and apologised but he maintain his stand.... [:/]

So simple : Its either agree or disagree with Sun statement "More Dogs than Human in Singapore" .... -_-

Well, he did stand up and apologised but he maintain his stand.... [:/]

So simple : Its either agree or disagree with Sun statement "More Dogs than Human in Singapore" .... -_-

maybe he mean he will remaind standing as a punishment leh [laugh]

Baey started on the wrong foot and now 越苗越黑。。suspect his intent is to ask Singaporeans not to hv that anger rush in them n take this camly and listen to what the boy wanna say.... [laugh] uses the wrong word and the wrong time... perhaps he would like singapore to be more receptive towards foreigners but if u keep hvg such "foreign talents" dropping rocks on their own foot, you cannot stop Singaporeans from feeling lousy abt it and be angry abt it... Trying to be a mediator or Mr Nice Guy wld nt be a good move.... guess it is time to teach MPs how to express well publicly..Baey may hv contributed well to his area (my guess) but it did not go well for the recent statement... If he truly understands what Singaporeans are going through, he should first reprimand the chinese and that he be put under disciplinary charge.... Assure Singaporeans that the relevant authority shall be looking into this matter and send out a strong and clear message to the rest that while we welcome foreign talents, we do not condone to rubbish remarks....这次要杀一警百...以免祸患

well said .... [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Actually I like his approach. I like my MP to be able to keep his cool when face with adversity, gather and understand all facts, before giving his response. A good leader, imho, is not someone who jump at every opportunity to tear his shirt to show his is going to fight for his people. This kind of reaction will not bring the country to anywhere. We are all mature people, please.

↡ Advertisement