Help struggling retirees in private properties

Latka

ST Forum

PRIVATE property owners, unlike HDB dwellers, are mostly excluded from help programmes and handouts from the Government ('Private home owners' by Mr Tan Guan Rong; Feb 21). While most private property owners are financially better off, it may not be so for seniors or retirees.

In my neighbourhood alone, there are two retirees who are siblings and who live in a rundown owner-occupied home they inherited from their parents. The two, a man and his sister, would salvage waste paper and discarded electronic goods to eke out a living.

Because of emotional attachment, it is difficult to move out from familiar surroundings, especially as one ages. Selling the property and downgrading is not as simple and straightforward as many make it out to be.

That is why the Government should give greater flexibility for retirees to purchase HDB flats to generate a source of steady cash flow from rental payments, provided they have their own funds or can meet the more stringent borrowing requirements for older people without salaries.

There are also other similar situations that the Government or institutions can positively discriminate in favour of seniors and retirees.

Raymond Koh Bock Swi

↡ Advertisement

ST Forum

PRIVATE property owners, unlike HDB dwellers, are mostly excluded from help programmes and handouts from the Government ('Private home owners' by Mr Tan Guan Rong; Feb 21). While most private property owners are financially better off, it may not be so for seniors or retirees.

In my neighbourhood alone, there are two retirees who are siblings and who live in a rundown owner-occupied home they inherited from their parents. The two, a man and his sister, would salvage waste paper and discarded electronic goods to eke out a living.

Because of emotional attachment, it is difficult to move out from familiar surroundings, especially as one ages. Selling the property and downgrading is not as simple and straightforward as many make it out to be.

That is why the Government should give greater flexibility for retirees to purchase HDB flats to generate a source of steady cash flow from rental payments, provided they have their own funds or can meet the more stringent borrowing requirements for older people without salaries.

There are also other similar situations that the Government or institutions can positively discriminate in favour of seniors and retirees.

Raymond Koh Bock Swi

m1wide has different idea about what all-inclusive means :o

ST Forum

Raymond Koh Bock Swi

I believe time changes. We need to adapt to the change of time, regardless who we may be. Learning to adapt is living and those who can not learn to adapt can not be living longer. It is reality.

ST Forum

Raymond Koh Bock Swi

If they have no children to support them, its best they sell their house and buy 3-rm flat.

If have children, they should be able to get allowances.

I do not agree they stay in a $2mil property and ask for handouts...

If they have no children to support them, its best they sell their house and buy 3-rm flat.

If have children, they should be able to get allowances.

I do not agree they stay in a $2mil property and ask for handouts...

i believe they can rent out some of the room to get money too. -_-

Hmmm...pte properties owners need help....help only will extend to them after they help themselves...sell the properties...can easily buy a HDB without loan....n a few hundred Ks or more to last u thru the rest of ur life...a...still ask for handout..very weird.... cant understand such mindset.... [shakehead]

Frankly speaking, emotional attachment is not a good reason for not selling the house to feed their own.

Agree.

Only go to the authorities for help if one really runs out of options. Help should also be handed out to those who really have no way out.

Hmmm...pte properties owners need help....help only will extend to them after they help themselves...sell the properties...can easily buy a HDB without loan....n a few hundred Ks or more to last u thru the rest of ur life...a...still ask for handout..very weird.... cant understand such mindset.... [shakehead]

need to set up an agency to assist these senior citizen to do so, and cannot con their money like some heartless agent :D

Since the neighbour Raymond so concern, he should do the paper work for free.

Edited by Jman888

What surprise me the most about the writer and this thread is....

Some CB can't wake-up Sinkie ...and there are many here too....

Still think that their MIW rulers cared about whether they..

LIVE or...

DIE! :D

They are asking for flexibilty, not handouts. Now if they sell, they are not able to buy a HDB even if they want to downgrade as the rules forbid them. This one i sappork

GREED [laugh]

the thing is that garment doesnt really care abt ppl in private properties coz they are not the majority. there is a good reason for this.

garment policies will be more for the majority, the heartlanders who make up of 80% population.

the thing is that garment doesnt really care abt ppl in private properties coz they are not the majority. there is a good reason for this.

garment policies will be more for the majority, the heartlanders who make up of 80% population.

Most Sinkie can't think...

look at the GE votes...the type and number in% that return the MIWs back to power..

It all comes from the heartlands..

As a matter of fact, in the areas of pte prop..it shows quite a distinct 'able to think independently on their own 2 feet' kind of ppl, who voted for the oppo..or lesser for the MIWs...

and the CB hearlanders are the ones to get screwed more after the GE..and these same CB ppl are the most in the number of complainers..

Ironic..

That why I constantly screw Sinkie..particularly those heartlanders..

Cos they deserved to be screwed!

This is another example of a rich Singaporeans complaint that it's tough to be rich.

Weird argument.

Everyone has emotional attachment, poor people's attachment are less so than assets rich people?

Cannot have best of both world lah.

They are asking for flexibilty, not handouts. Now if they sell, they are not able to buy a HDB even if they want to downgrade as the rules forbid them. This one i sappork

Oh my, didn't know that. You mean those old folks in private properties can't downgrade to small HDB flat? Why didn't any top brains think of this? :wacko:

Anyway, I still think that handouts shouldn't be given to people that still has alternatives.

Some how my interpretation of the following article is as follow:

ST Forum

So selling the landed property for him is out because of emotional attachment

Is he asking the government to let him purchase a HDB to generate rental income at the same time staying in his landed home?

Raymond Koh Bock Swi

↡ Advertisement