DBS/POSB: 1/2mil up lorry + 2 bugis ATMs infernal affair

Mockngbrd

If the ATM kena skim was at bugis, I bet high chance is done by 'FT' syndicate :D

I am quite impressed at how well they handle this episode eg. decision to compensate was quick, number of affected account was determined, the 'problem' ATMs were identified, etc.... Mush better handled than the other 2 agencies.

On security of ATM transaction, users should be more careful too. Tho these most recent cases have nothing to do with users, but often I find some of them to be really careless...leaving behind transaction slips.

↡ Advertisement

The money was stolen through Malaysian ATMs using cloned cards and compromised PINs. The Bugis ATMs are suspected to be the source of the card skimming and PIN stealing.

Let's not bash the bank blindly without confirming what was reported.

My bad. [:p]

If the ATM kena skim was at bugis, I bet high chance is done by 'FT' syndicate :D

That come to mind. I guess quite a bit of such syndicates are probably from overseas.

most likely an insider job..as the machines are compromised only on 3 days..and the customers never feedback to the bank when they discovered the machine is not 'right'..hope all sinkies learns to feedback often about everything..then the country can progress

I guess my dbs friend would be super duper busy :wacko: i dare not call him [:p]

channelnewsasia

LATEST: DBS Bank says 400 cases of unauthorised withdrawals found. Half a million dollars in compensation expected. The bank has identified two ATMs at Bugis that were compromised, situation is contained.

we are first world financial centre

but these simple petty crimes are happening in our own backyard

was a shame

ATM in our own country and not in malaysia

crap

DBS apparently spends 30% of revenue on IT related investment

when you plant the skimming device

dont the camera suppose to capture something suspicious

what the hell are the camera used for

downblouse and upskirt

when you plant the skimming device

dont the camera suppose to capture something suspicious

what the hell are the camera used for

downblouse and upskirt

coincidentally the camera fail to function?

I am quite impressed at how well they handle this episode eg. decision to compensate was quick, number of affected account was determined, the 'problem' ATMs were identified, etc.... Mush better handled than the other 2 agencies.

On security of ATM transaction, users should be more careful too. Tho these most recent cases have nothing to do with users, but often I find some of them to be really careless...leaving behind transaction slips.

what can one do with the account number which if im not wrong now is also censored out..

should make reciept not compulsory and only given if requested...

if you guys still remember about 5 years back or so, the atms did not come with anti skimming devices. they were installed after an unprecedented case of card skimming was discovered in an atm in woodlands. coincidentally it is the same bank. there was later on a follow up press release and the bank spoke at length about the anti skimming device and how it worked. basically, it reduces the speed in which your atm card is dispensed and moves the card forcibly laterally as it is being dispensed. i have no idea what the modus operandi of the syndicate behind the recent skimming is like so i can't comment.

channelnewsasia

LATEST: DBS Bank says 400 cases of unauthorised withdrawals found. Half a million dollars in compensation expected. The bank has identified two ATMs at Bugis that were compromised, situation is contained.

I believe there is limited security with pin numbers, once the car reader is overcomed. Example: my SHELL fuel card was declined yesterday. The petrol kiosk supervisor called their card centre to reset, and that card accepted immediately.

I believe the bank got no idea how/what to advice its customers for now. Unlike previous occassion, when they announce their precaution/preventive measures.

ATM has been around for ages but this type of things only happened recently. I can only think of 2 things that has changed.

1) Technology advancement + we getting smarter

2) More talents are in the country

Think DBS should trace back all transaction made in the 2 atm and call up all that has use it. There are many ppl (esp elderly) who don't regularly check their accounts, + no internet banking, and they won't even know there is missing money until they update their bank book.

DBS did call me up 2 days ago and terminate both my gf card and my atm card even though nothing have been lost from our account as a precaution because we use the 2 machine at bugis quite often.Overall was satisfied with their response since they will be compensating if any lost. [:)]

Definately more Brave n Desperate talents. Who are hungry n Bold.

Most likely those that know they have a escape route, to return to their homeland and will not get caught!!

I know OCBC ATM has the protruding plastic where you insert the card, so that no additional skimming device can fit on the outside. Also the card feeding in is jerky n slow manner, do that to defeat any skimming device fit on the outside.

That means for this recent case the skimmer couldbe placed Inside the machine. In fact the insider could easily just tap into the signal cable of the card reader n keypad, by placing a module in between the signal cables to record the data. Don't really need a bulky skimmer module. Technology has advanced alot since.

These are the type of talents we have to live with everyday.

I know of construction engineering supervisor or project managers who quit just before handover/TOP. So that they don't need to answer for the mistakes n poor workmanship or unsubstantiated costs over run.

we are first world financial centre

but these simple petty crimes are happening in our own backyard

was a shame

ATM in our own country and not in malaysia

crap

DBS apparently spends 30% of revenue on IT related investment

Chill bro..No security in this world is 100% guarantee safe,no matter where.We cant be expecting all type of security to be ahead of the criminals minds.

Just Like our computers,do those engineers create anti-virus software before virus is even known or after they know what they are dealing with? [:)]

Actually overall the response is swift and they just compensated instead of dragging it out.

Thumbs up for DBS.

Card skimming can happen to any bank ATM lor. These criminals are focussed on doing something, they will usually succeed. Just whether u can catch them only. ^_^

DBS did call me up 2 days ago and terminate both my gf card and my atm card even though nothing have been lost from our account as a precaution because we use the 2 machine at bugis quite often.Overall was satisfied with their response since they will be compensating if any lost. [:)]

which is why it should be timely for MAS to mandate that all banks upgrade atm cards from cards with magnetic strip to newer ones with embedded gold chips. skimming of magnetic cards has been a prevalent problem but the pervasive extent of this current episode is unprecedented.

Chill bro..No security in this world is 100% guarantee safe,no matter where.We cant be expecting all type of security to be ahead of the criminals minds.

Just Like our computers,do those engineers create anti-virus software before virus is even known or after they know what they are dealing with? [:)]

You're right. Anything that is man-made can be broken.

Nowadays with the advancements in GPU processing, many brute-force attacks/processong are used on the GPU rather than CPU.

Even the PS3 processor can be used for distributed computing. Anyone interested can go google folding@home.

↡ Advertisement