That's life. Suck on that

Estrangable

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_742941.html

AS ITS designation states, the certificate of entitlement (COE) is an entitlement and assumes that as every person feels he is entitled to it, a price must be levied to show that one truly needs it ('COE domination by high-end marque buyers an unhealthy trend' by Mr Johnnie Chia; Wednesday).

In a meritocracy like Singapore, one earns more if one works harder and smarter than the other person. If an average-income earner wants a car badly, he will have to lift himself to a higher income bracket by working harder or smarter.

That is the COE's first benefit: as a spur to improving one's lot in order to secure a car.

Except for the peak-hour crunch, public transport is first-class. Without the COE, the roads would be clogged, and this is the COE's second benefit: freeing roads for efficient public transport commuting.

Mr Chia laments that stiff COE prices favour the wealthy, who can afford to buy more than one car.

What is also true is that a rich person can drive only one car at a time, so the second car is kept at home, and is not out on the streets causing pollution.

And that is the third benefit: fewer cars, less pollution.

Furthermore, the wealthy person pays a hefty premium to own a car he keeps in his garage and we should be thankful for his tax contribution: It helps pay for public conveniences.

My point is, one should always consider both sides of an issue.

When a person is wealthy and drives a Ferrari and is busy forging deals, he will be only too happy to have an Electronic Road Pricing system in place, so he can zip around and close another productive deal - and pay the salaries of his average-income employees.

That's life.

Lawrence Lee

Director

Mag-E group of companies

----------------------

Wow...even though i have to admit there is certainly an element of truth in his statements but the arrogrance in his tone.... :o

↡ Advertisement

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_742941.html

AS ITS designation states, the certificate of entitlement (COE) is an entitlement and assumes that as every person feels he is entitled to it, a price must be levied to show that one truly needs it ('COE domination by high-end marque buyers an unhealthy trend' by Mr Johnnie Chia; Wednesday).

In a meritocracy like Singapore, one earns more if one works harder and smarter than the other person. If an average-income earner wants a car badly, he will have to lift himself to a higher income bracket by working harder or smarter.

That is the COE's first benefit: as a spur to improving one's lot in order to secure a car.

Except for the peak-hour crunch, public transport is first-class. Without the COE, the roads would be clogged, and this is the COE's second benefit: freeing roads for efficient public transport commuting.

Mr Chia laments that stiff COE prices favour the wealthy, who can afford to buy more than one car.

What is also true is that a rich person can drive only one car at a time, so the second car is kept at home, and is not out on the streets causing pollution.

And that is the third benefit: fewer cars, less pollution.

Furthermore, the wealthy person pays a hefty premium to own a car he keeps in his garage and we should be thankful for his tax contribution: It helps pay for public conveniences.

My point is, one should always consider both sides of an issue.

When a person is wealthy and drives a Ferrari and is busy forging deals, he will be only too happy to have an Electronic Road Pricing system in place, so he can zip around and close another productive deal - and pay the salaries of his average-income employees.

That's life.

Lawrence Lee

Director

Mag-E group of companies

----------------------

Wow...even though i have to admit there is certainly an element of truth in his statements but the arrogrance in his tone.... :o

Acherlee, think he fedup with the bloody whiners in the system......remember the last one written that those w kids should have priority for COEs?? [pirate][pirate]

See here

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry4149978

i don't disagree with his statements that life is unfair. I absolutely agree with that. I am just surprised he actually wrote such a hard hitting letter and it got published in our ST!

i don't disagree with his statements that life is unfair. I absolutely agree with that. I am just surprised he actually wrote such a hard hitting letter and it got published in our ST!

acherlee, come to think of it, yea, damn condescending [laugh][laugh][laugh] and it got published...

acherlee, come to think of it, yea, damn condescending [laugh][laugh][laugh] and it got published...

since ST is miw's mouthpiece, miw is using the writer to tell us what they really feel.

he is just telling the hard truth.....

but you cannot always push things too far....

"Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change."

Malcolm X

I don't fully agree with what he stated that wealthy person can only drive one car at a time...a wealthy fellow can buy cars for each and every single member of his family....even if the family member is just a young punk schooling and doesn't contribute to any economic benefit to the country YET........this young punk don't need the car at all...so it does contribute to pollution and COE did benefit the rich......one car for wife to do marketing...one car for schooling kid and etc...

Edited by LoverofCar

Life was never fair ....... If someone believe that life is fair, IMO he is stupid or damn ignorance.

I agree with the letter...

life is never fair. but we are even more stupid if we resign ourselves to that fact and not try to balance it out. Then why dont we have the caste system again? :D

Neutral Newbie

Life is never fair... but to use money to "solve problems" is making it more unfair...

And it doesn't mean 1 less car on the road means less pollution, it depends on the engine and how the driver drives the car..

I am happy to see this letter [;)] you see lotsa MCForumer KBKP abt life, singapore, government, everything etc etc........ but you look at the time of posting!!!!!!! OFFICE HOURS LEH!!!! of course life hard lah!!

if life hard still so unproductive during office hours than who can help??? wanna post "eat snake" during office hours, make sure you dun fall under the KBKP abt life category.

everyone here earn for their own living, some workhard, some work hard and smart, some just work smart. but got a group wanna dun work but got the fruits of work smart people!?!?!?

Maybe he has the right have such arrogance giving his title and company name. [:)]

Life is never fair... but to use money to "solve problems" is making it more unfair...

And it doesn't mean 1 less car on the road means less pollution, it depends on the engine and how the driver drives the car..

If money can solve the problem ... then it is not a problem ... I don't see how it is making it more unfair ...

If money can solve the problem ... then it is not a problem ... I don't see how it is making it more unfair ...

agree...... there is so many way to make $$$ in SG but of course highly educated or high MNC position is good lah easier $$$. (that also mean they work hard when in schooling no free lunch)

not much education, no capital wanna start somewhere also can sales easiest eg. car salesman or property agent etc.....there is more but people will say siong not easy complain complain [shakehead] than KPKB in forum car sales or property agent earn too much?!!?!?

people just dun understand there is no free lunch...... most easy stuff dun earn much $$$$ when people can easily earn $$$$ is because in their earlier work life they have gone through the tough part to establish their today!

but if policies create a problem that can only be solved with money that only some possess isnt that creating another problem? isnt that unfair already?

I am happy to see this letter [;)] you see lotsa MCForumer KBKP abt life, singapore, government, everything etc etc........ but you look at the time of posting!!!!!!! OFFICE HOURS LEH!!!! of course life hard lah!!

if life hard still so unproductive during office hours than who can help??? wanna post "eat snake" during office hours, make sure you dun fall under the KBKP abt life category.

everyone here earn for their own living, some workhard, some work hard and smart, some just work smart. but got a group wanna dun work but got the fruits of work smart people!?!?!?

hmm, I have a different take on that, can post during office hours means as least he is in the office, if not posting means he is out having fun and eating snake...

↡ Advertisement