Road tax might go up next year?

Mikael74

Neutral Newbie

I wonder if anyone read today's Straits Times front page, just below the article about the raising of taxi fares.

It says LTA is taking over fuel efficiency labelling of cars from NEA next year and that they might implement emission-based tax.

Will this lead to higher road for everybody? (except maybe hybrid owners)

Edited by Mikael74
↡ Advertisement

it's likely that as a net effect, overall revenue from road tax will increase, because most cars on the roads are after all not designed for efficiency. the new system would however be more equitable. hopefully, the long-standing measure against diesel cars would finally be abolished too.

Neutral Newbie

it's likely that as a net effect, overall revenue from road tax will increase, because most cars on the roads are after all not designed for efficiency. the new system would however be more equitable. hopefully, the long-standing measure against diesel cars would finally be abolished too.

Wah like that if based on the data in the NEA website my car (a 1.5l Allion) might need to pay more tax than a 1.6 altis???

Toyota Allion (my current car) combined CO2 186g/km

Toyota Corolla Altis combined CO2 161g/km

http://els.nea.gov.sg/mfels/vehicle.asp

Neutral Newbie

Lol my car not even inside so no need road tax?

What car are you driving? Is it mitsubishi galant?

Funniest thing I found was that the 1.8 altis actually has lower CO2 than the 1.6 (155 vs 161)

Funniest thing I found was that the 1.8 altis actually has lower CO2 than the 1.6 (155 vs 161)

Galant was previous ride.. Current is the accord CL1R ..

If you noticed.. These are declared by the importers, not sure about testing though...

Maybe Jap more stringent than Thai? Lol

Actually, 155 vs 161 isn't that much of a difference. Just my 2 cts...

Neutral Newbie

Actually, 155 vs 161 isn't that much of a difference. Just my 2 cts...

What about 186 vs 161?

I bought a allion because only need to pay 1.5l road tax, will be lugi for me if I need to pay more under the new scheme

Neutral Newbie

whilst it is more environmentally respectful to use carbon emissions tax but it still depends on driver no? using a fuel efficient car if driver lead foot vs eco driver carbon emissions will be different, very different possibly and vice versa. [knife]

What about 186 vs 161?

I bought a allion because only need to pay 1.5l road tax, will be lugi for me if I need to pay more under the new scheme

Maybe LTA would implement a cut-off date based on car registration in order to be "fair" to existing owners; but then it's anyone's guess.

What about Taxi uncles leaving their taxi on during makan ?

They generate alot more CO2/hr than average users.

Best is abolish road tax, then raise the petrol prices. You use more petrol, you pay more. Simple as that...

Best is abolish road tax, then raise the petrol prices. You use more petrol, you pay more. Simple as that...

Technically, that is a statutory offence (see Note 21 Pg 10 of this EPMA) to keep engine running when stationary (other than in traffic conditions). If raise petrol prices, probably would see more pple driving north instead.

Edited by Icu

Bro, you can wait long long for them to abolish road tax. I foresee an additional CO2 tax on top of the usual road tax. Maybe there might be some rebate for cleaner cars but you can be sure end up we will still pay more.