Extending Smoking Ban Indoors: Rights Of The Few Count Too

Vulcann

Interesting POV coming from a non-smoker:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_739049.html

Extending smoking ban indoors: Rights of the few count too

Published on Nov 29, 2011

WITH regard to Mrs Sherley Servos' appeal ('Ban smoking inside homes too'; yesterday), I suggest that the Government not do so. It would be better for the authorities to tackle smoking issues with neighbours individually.

As Singaporeans, we have been spoilt by immediate, punitive responses to problems. I too have a neighbour who smokes and the second-hand smoke comes into our home.

Some of our neighbours burn incense or joss sticks when observing their religious practices. As a result I have had to close the windows. Should the Government ban these too?

What about those whose children practise on musical instruments late into the night? Where does it stop?

I can appreciate the concern about second-hand smoke, but I feel that appealing to the Government on such matters sets an unhealthy precedent.

Tolerance is not a dirty word - it simply means that as humans, we learn to adapt, improvise and overcome.

Knowing when to tolerate requires the maturity and wisdom we have accumulated over the years.

The rights of the few should not outweigh that of the many - at least not too often.

Lau Jiamin

↡ Advertisement

From ST Forum:

WITH regard to Mrs Sherley Servos' appeal ('Ban smoking inside homes too'; yesterday), I suggest that the Government not do so. It would be better for the authorities to tackle smoking issues with neighbours individually.

As Singaporeans, we have been spoilt by immediate, punitive responses to problems. I too have a neighbour who smokes and the second-hand smoke comes into our home.

Some of our neighbours burn incense or joss sticks when observing their religious practices. As a result I have had to close the windows. Should the Government ban these too?

What about those whose children practise on musical instruments late into the night? Where does it stop?

I can appreciate the concern about second-hand smoke, but I feel that appealing to the Government on such matters sets an unhealthy precedent.

Tolerance is not a dirty word - it simply means that as humans, we learn to adapt, improvise and overcome.

Knowing when to tolerate requires the maturity and wisdom we have accumulated over the years.

The rights of the few should not outweigh that of the many - at least not too often.

Lau Jiamin

Mrs Sherley is too much...

asking for ban at home

Cant say it any better than this......... [thumbsup][nod]

From ST Forum:

Lau Jiamin

well said! [thumbsup]

Cant say it any better than this......... [thumbsup][nod]

I guess most of us live in HDB units and inevitably we encounter funerals, weddings, community events, etc in the neighbourhood often.

If such events are not tolerated with folks complaining all the time, the community will always be in tension and frankly that will not be a pleasant environment to live or grow up with.

Having said that, it does take a lot of tolerance to live with next-door neighbours engaging in intense noisy activities such as MJ, parties/gatherings, etc or related to the thread their 2nd hand smoke permeating in the vicinity.

The golden rule in local context's community living is : Live and let live...

Even with a law banning smoking indoors... who is going to enforce?? When the law is enacted, are you going to tell your neighbour he or she can't smoke in his or her own house?? Who's going to do that?

I don't smoke. But personally if it's a neighbour downstairs... (i got one smoker and incense burner directly downstairs), can still tolerate lah... Those who cannot must be really touchy.

Even with a law banning smoking indoors... who is going to enforce?? When the law is enacted, are you going to tell your neighbour he or she can't smoke in his or her own house?? Who's going to do that?

I don't smoke. But personally if it's a neighbour downstairs... (i got one smoker and incense burner directly downstairs), can still tolerate lah... Those who cannot must be really touchy.

Enacting laws is a piece of cake but the diffcult part is the enforcement.

The recent smoking ban or partial ban at many areas is a good example.

The authorities were naive enough to think that once this law is up things will run smoothly but unfortunately the implementation part is less than satisfactory.

We often read in forums of folks blatantly ignoring the law and openly smoked in banned areas but the enforcement officials were nowwhere in sight or by the time they got the prepetrator was long gone.

↡ Advertisement