Help - Swirl mark

Tailgatepro

Is it true that after re-spray new paint and during collection of car, spot alot of swirl mark and was told that under the sun, is like that.

Anyone know after spray, the clear coat is it already gloss or matt type? If matt , that mean they didnt polish well to become gloss right????

Pls advise.

↡ Advertisement

sorry i find that hard to believe. 1st of all i concede that a respray is not as thorough as the 1st coating on the production line coz, depending on make or model several primer coats are used and the coats are negatively charged so bonding is tighter on the metal.

But even a respray, if profesionally done with a primer would produce an almost perfect coating.

The main reason for swirl marks is either poorly done cheap polish jobs or mecahnical car wash.........????

Twincharged

Respray should not have any swirl marks at all even if the workmanship is lousy. The worst is orange peel only. Maybe the workshop after respraying just anyhow wash the car without proper care and inflicted the swirls. Or their polishing pad was dirty.

sorry i find that hard to believe. 1st of all i concede that a respray is not as thorough as the 1st coating on the production line coz, depending on make or model several primer coats are used and the coats are negatively charged so bonding is tighter on the metal.

But even a respray, if profesionally done with a primer would produce an almost perfect coating.

The main reason for swirl marks is either poorly done cheap polish jobs or mecahnical car wash.........????

Ok, thanks for info, so no matter what, i shouldnt able to see swirl mark right? ( swirl mark almost all over the place) I will go back to them as they will help me repair some blur mark (like sandpaper cause the mark) which i spotted afew places. I had ask afew quotation this is the most expensive paint and expecting great but found so many swirl mark & blur mark and was wonder if i go to GLAZE or other paint protection service shop, will it be helpful? Now feel very low morle after spending $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Edited by Tailgatepro

Usually after respraying, the worker will use their buffer to give the clear coat a boost. The swirls are most probably come from the dirty pad or improper polish technic.

I think my car is not Ferrari, so they use old pad to polish.

Thats right. In addition to my previous reply pls note that the primer and under and final coats are SPRAYED ON in a closed environment. Thats why the workshop has to strip the car and RESPRAY eact individual part to ensure a even finish.

Thereafter each part is oven baked.

My point is that at no stage in the paint process will there be any phycical application which will result in the swirl marks. They dont even use a brush to apply the paint! One possibiity raised by a forumer here is that the workshop used a dirty cloth and polish to "buff up" the job after the final coat.

I am sorry Swirl Marks really look hideous especially if your ride is saphire black. Thats why you wont ever see higher end cars being "polished" by those mobile polish companies in the car park lots. These chaps will use the SAME CLOTH they used for the past 4 cars and lorries to "polish" your car. Its actually rubbing the grime and dirt into the paint work. In the end its better not to polish at all.

The other piece of bad news is that swirl marks are not easy to remove. Once they are on they stay on. You can remove it but it will take lots of hours of waxing......

Ok, thanks for info, so no matter what, i shouldnt able to see swirl mark right? ( swirl mark almost all over the place) I will go back to them as they will help me repair some blur mark (like sandpaper cause the mark) which i spotted afew places. I had ask afew quotation this is the most expensive paint and expecting great but found so many swirl mark & blur mark and was wonder if i go to GLAZE or other paint protection service shop, will it be helpful? Now feel very low morle after spending $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Edited by NightWind

My Iphone 3 camera is not clear as everyone know.

But at least can see something

From the picture below, the swirl mark is different, normally ours is circle type, but this new paint swirl mark is straight line.

This photo is done before do any wash of car. So does those paint protection service can repair this issue?

swirlmark.jpg

Edited by Tailgatepro

i'm sorry to comment that if respray will incur with swirl marks, why should we go for respray?

i am quite doubtful on the workmanship.

btw, don't tailgate lah. [laugh]

I drive more then 17 years and never accident or get caught taffic speeding.

Do u know why? Because i every save and never tailgate and i hate tailing.

My name caught u attendtion ma? if yes, that great.

Edited by Tailgatepro

Tailgater..looks fine hairline to me.. This are usually caused by heavy compound with worn out pads..

I was wonder why they need to polish as this is new respray.

Need to bring out the shine from new clear coat..this happened when i respray my previous car..ended up bringing my machine and product to the shop to remove the swirl myself..The boss was good enough to let me do it at the shop..what u need to do is get someone who can do a paint correction for u..

Need to bring out the shine from new clear coat..this happened when i respray my previous car..ended up bringing my machine and product to the shop to remove the swirl myself..The boss was good enough to let me do it at the shop..what u need to do is get someone who can do a paint correction for u..

LOL, That true. If i going back, i think the boss will very upset his workers had done to my car.

I don't blame his paint product as his paint is highest end product. Is either his worker method wrong or safe cost on buffering.

LOL, That true. If i going back, i think the boss will very upset his workers had done to my car.

I don't blame his paint product as his paint is highest end product. Is either his worker method wrong or safe cost on buffering.

Ya lor..they are good in spray painting but may not be good in polishing

Neutral Newbie

Highest end products without the skills also the same. But this kind of swirls are damm common in SG after a spraypaint. This kind of swirls are quite easily removed within the curing period of the paint. Usually a 2 stepper is will sufficient to remove most of the defects.

That applies to most traditional paints, I have tried correcting a 3 day old Spies Hecker water based paint and it was harder than most Mercs/Audi paint which is known for its hardness due to ceramic. Had to twisted wool > purple wool > orange > white, this was before any finessing.

Some even softer, 1 step SIP.

ypeg5050001j.jpg

If want the best finish, color sand it.

Edited by Fcuktion

Try this paint restoration shop : http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?autoco...p;product=17060

Btw pls let us know which workshop did your paint job so we know to avoid it in future.

Goodluck n pls let us know tue outcome.

Bro...Paint shop will need to buffer after respraying your car for some reasons;

i) they will need to smoothen out the surface by sanding followed by buffing

ii) they need to bring out the shine

If you encounter such swirl marks, i would sugguest go to grooming shop to settle it.

The compound used by spray paint shop is very harsh because they need to serious paint correction if needed.

Grooming shop compound is can be less abrassive thus able to get the mirror finish.

↡ Advertisement