HDB CEO: Smaller flats will not lower standards of living

Ahtong

Simple peasant like myself only have one question. Why is there an inverse correlation between flat size and flat price?

Smaller flats doesn't mean lower quality of living: HDB CEO

Posted: 10 November 2011 1355 hrs

SINGAPORE: Public flats in Singapore may be getting smaller but this has not lowered quality of living, says Housing and Development Board's (HDB) CEO Cheong Koon Hean.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a housing forum on Thursday morning, Dr Cheong noted that there were now fewer persons living in one flat which works out to increased living space per person.

"Our families are smaller. In the old days, we have very large families living in a flat. Today, the family is two, three, four (people)."

The size of HDB flats has shrunk by five to 10 per cent over the last 20 to 30 years.

For example, a five-room flat in Bukit Batok Central built in 1989 has a floor area of 121 square metres, compared to 110 square metres for a similar unit built in 2003.

Based on official surveys, the average household size was 3.5 in 2010, and 4.9 in 1980.

This means an occupant in a 110 square metre five-room flat today will have 31 sq metres of space, while a resident in a 121 sq metres five-room flat in the 80s had only about 25 sq metres of space.

Dr Cheong added that interior design also plays a part in creating good living space.

"In many global cities of the world or big cities, people do pay attention to how they do the inside of the flat as well as optimising the use of furniture and storage. It can be a very comfortable living environment."

↡ Advertisement

u know

the part i hate most is

then why call them 5 room flats?

if one is 121sqm

and one is 108sqm

exactly... might as well divide 108sq m into 10 rooms and call it a 10room mansion, and sell for $2million . Stupid HDB.

u know

the part i hate most is

if one is 121sqm

and one is 108sqm

tell you what... this is the size of my 4 Room flat <_<

tell you what... this is the size of my 4 Room flat <_<

my parents 4room is bigger than my 5 room

tmd....

all these terms is suka suka

then in my estate,

5 room and 4 room units, both has got 3 bedrooms ( smaller of cos)

hahahahhahahha

totally not logical dunno who come up with them

my parents 4room is bigger than my 5 room

tmd....

all these terms is suka suka

then in my estate,

5 room and 4 room units, both has got 3 bedrooms ( smaller of cos)

hahahahhahahha

totally not logical dunno who come up with them

now only private house can have 4 bedrooms la.

haiz

HDB should bring back the point blocks and masionettes

Simple peasant like myself only have one question. Why is there an inverse correlation between flat size and flat price?

Smaller flats doesn't mean lower quality of living: HDB CEO

Posted: 10 November 2011 1355 hrs

SINGAPORE: Public flats in Singapore may be getting smaller but this has not lowered quality of living, says Housing and Development Board's (HDB) CEO Cheong Koon Hean.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a housing forum on Thursday morning, Dr Cheong noted that there were now fewer persons living in one flat which works out to increased living space per person.

"Our families are smaller. In the old days, we have very large families living in a flat. Today, the family is two, three, four (people)."

The size of HDB flats has shrunk by five to 10 per cent over the last 20 to 30 years.

For example, a five-room flat in Bukit Batok Central built in 1989 has a floor area of 121 square metres, compared to 110 square metres for a similar unit built in 2003.

Based on official surveys, the average household size was 3.5 in 2010, and 4.9 in 1980.

This means an occupant in a 110 square metre five-room flat today will have 31 sq metres of space, while a resident in a 121 sq metres five-room flat in the 80s had only about 25 sq metres of space.

Dr Cheong added that interior design also plays a part in creating good living space.

"In many global cities of the world or big cities, people do pay attention to how they do the inside of the flat as well as optimising the use of furniture and storage. It can be a very comfortable living environment."

But the reduction must be practical. I had a chance to look at some of the new HDB units of 3 and 4 rooms recently and I thank God i will not be staying there. The common bedroom and master bedroom are too small for other furniture after putting in the beds. The living room laggi worst. After putting a set of sofa and dining set, the living becomes too cramp. Sometimes, i really wonder if the HDB is building flats with people needs as their focus or is HDB designing flat base on number crunching software for optimization.

u know

the part i hate most is

if one is 121sqm

and one is 108sqm

Living room also a room mah, they didn't say bedroom haha....aiyah this has always been source of confusion but we should be used to it by now.

This is what I ALWAYS noticed about the MIWs and their cronies..

They talk alot about some issues that...'that should not be what it is, even though it is what it is' kind of thing..

But..

IT DOES NOT APPLY TO THEM... :D

Maybe their ivory tower or horse they sitting on ...

TOO high for them to notice what they are talking about...

Can't believe a PhD can make such idiotic statements...

Making flats smaller will only feed the vicious cycle of smaller and smaller families. Looks like they have resigned to fate that our household size will never reach to the level 20 yrs ago.

Or perhaps they have to make it smaller to milk more psf and generate more revenue??

↡ Advertisement