Fire extinguisher (safe to be kept inside car's boot?)

AL5509

I have a 2.5kg BCF in my car's boot for many years.

BCF is the best extinguishing agent for ever made. But was outlawed due to effect on ozone.

Must get the proper extinguisher.

for example 1.5kg ABC dry powder.

Can get from major hardware store such as Home fix, Homely or fire equipment suppliers like SAFI,CHUBB,Hart Technologies, .

Do not get the aerosol can type. May explode like all other aerosol spray. And this are not approved or rated.

Having a fire extinguisher does not mean that it can put out every car fires.

But it just give us the chance to save our precious car

↡ Advertisement

I dunno whether there is a use for a fire extinguisher in the car or not....for the sake of discussion, nowadays car accessories are made of very combustible plastic/synthetic materials, they burns very fast and discharges poisonous fumes. if there is a fire i think best is to get everyone out fast and stay away( taking into consideration the fuel tank could catch fire). whats the chances of extinguishing a fire with small a portable car fire extinguisher? even if you manages to extinguished the fire the repair cost will be enough to get a new car, insurance would probably write it off, also after repair who dares to drive again?......i think better run and call 995 than take unnecessary risk.

What if someone u know cant run away.

Like in a crash and got stuck and something is burning.

Edited by 5936

I dunno whether there is a use for a fire extinguisher in the car or not....for the sake of discussion, nowadays car accessories are made of very combustible plastic/synthetic materials, they burns very fast and discharges poisonous fumes. if there is a fire i think best is to get everyone out fast and stay away( taking into consideration the fuel tank could catch fire). whats the chances of extinguishing a fire with small a portable car fire extinguisher? even if you manages to extinguished the fire the repair cost will be enough to get a new car, insurance would probably write it off, also after repair who dares to drive again?......i think better run and call 995 than take unnecessary risk.

Can use a self defence equipment too. Put one in your cabin and if you encounter road rage or attempted robbery, spray the ABC powder.

What if someone u know cant run away.

Like in a crash and got stuck and something is burning.

bro , i am not against having a fire extinguisher inside the car, i am just questioning the effectiveness if there is indeed a fire and whether those little portable fire extinguisher can save the day. Also most people keep those inside their back car boot further reducing their fire fighting efficiency . i think the best option is to get everyone to safety first rather than fighting fire first I think those seatbelt cutter and those little hammer to smash windscreen will be good to have inside the glove compartment also... my 2 cents worth of opinion thats all.

Neutral Newbie

Hhhmm I do apology for bringing up a confusion regards to Fire extinguisher's topic here.

I do understand some are think it not a must to put one in a car, some think it fine.

But my concern is to have it be it will it be used when expire date meet, strong enough to fight an unexpected fire if really any but hopefully not.

Am just checking if any one know if it safe to keep one in e car's boot?

As I do not want a ticking time bomb that all.

Yes, it a discussion thread, but again let not turn e topic n lead to a ball of fire discussion. :p

thankzz

Neutral Newbie

Don be so sure, what about if brakes caught fire *my uncle's car, last time brakes tio fire cos stop too hard then got friction* [:)]

no they didnt

they may have smoked sure - but they didnt catch fire.

Edited by Badder

Neutral Newbie

Hhhmm I do apology for bringing up a confusion regards to Fire extinguisher's topic here.

I do understand some are think it not a must to put one in a car, some think it fine.

But my concern is to have it be it will it be used when expire date meet, strong enough to fight an unexpected fire if really any but hopefully not.

Am just checking if any one know if it safe to keep one in e car's boot?

As I do not want a ticking time bomb that all.

Yes, it a discussion thread, but again let not turn e topic n lead to a ball of fire discussion. :p

thankzz

OF COURSE ITS SAFE YOU IDIOT

Edited by Badder

that's great!

With these words,I am sure we are in the right alignment on safety.

Approved type extinguishers are those appoved by spring singapore.

there is a safety valve for over pressure condition and these are designed to be brought very close to fire,so the high temp in boot wont affect it.

I have a 2.5kg BCF in my car's boot for many years.

BCF is the best extinguishing agent for ever made. But was outlawed due to effect on ozone.

Must get the proper extinguisher.

for example 1.5kg ABC dry powder.

Can get from major hardware store such as Home fix, Homely or fire equipment suppliers like SAFI,CHUBB,Hart Technologies, .

Do not get the aerosol can type. May explode like all other aerosol spray. And this are not approved or rated.

Having a fire extinguisher does not mean that it can put out every car fires.

But it just give us the chance to save our precious car

fire extinguishers do expire so how did you get away with having a BCF extinguisher in your possession?

so you can see how long i have kept this BCF extinguisher.still in prime condition.

For other ABC dry powder type, Singapore CP asked that it be pressure tested evey 5 years. if you read this CP, they dont mention anything about expiry of fire extinguishers.

It was a matter of this pressure test and powder replacement vs buying brand new extinguishers.

for example the most common 9kg dry powder type extinguisher.

5 yearly maintenance cost is at least $38-pressure test is around $20+powder replacement estimate at $18($2*9)

Brand new 9kg dry powder is around $50-$60

If you have a small number,it may be cost effective to dispose and get new extinguishers,

but for my workplace, we have at least 4000 extinguishers, its cheaper to maintain it.

so you can see how long i have kept this BCF extinguisher.still in prime condition.

For other ABC dry powder type, Singapore CP asked that it be pressure tested evey 5 years. if you read this CP, they dont mention anything about expiry of fire extinguishers.

It was a matter of this pressure test and powder replacement vs buying brand new extinguishers.

for example the most common 9kg dry powder type extinguisher.

5 yearly maintenance cost is at least $38-pressure test is around $20+powder replacement estimate at $18($2*9)

Brand new 9kg dry powder is around $50-$60

If you have a small number,it may be cost effective to dispose and get new extinguishers,

but for my workplace, we have at least 4000 extinguishers, its cheaper to maintain it.

i was more concerned about your pressure valve in your fire extinguisher because they do fail with time. And extinguishers do have to be charged in some intervals. No letter from the authorities asking you to change your BCF type to other chemical type? hmmm

By right BCF was phased out with the Kyoto Protocal.

I have recharging facilities in my workplace to reharge the propellant.

Private car not subjected to fire extinguisher check, and if they do check , geting the inspection label is not a problem.

By right BCF was phased out with the Kyoto Protocal.

I have recharging facilities in my workplace to reharge the propellant.

Private car not subjected to fire extinguisher check, and if they do check , geting the inspection label is not a problem.

no wonder [sly]

bro , i am not against having a fire extinguisher inside the car, i am just questioning the effectiveness if there is indeed a fire and whether those little portable fire extinguisher can save the day. Also most people keep those inside their back car boot further reducing their fire fighting efficiency . i think the best option is to get everyone to safety first rather than fighting fire first I think those seatbelt cutter and those little hammer to smash windscreen will be good to have inside the glove compartment also... my 2 cents worth of opinion thats all.

Make sense. Where to buy seatbelt cutter and hammer to smash windsreen?

Daiso hv?

↡ Advertisement