[Straits Times] Hundreds stranded at Tanjong Pagar after MRT

Cerano

STRAITS TIMES

Quote:

Hundreds stranded at Tanjong Pagar after MRT breaks down

Broken-down train leads to crowds at platform, station

ST_IMAGES_MRT15e.jpg

The crowd at Tanjong Pagar MRT station last night, after a train breakdown saw SMRT staff close the fare gates to prevent overcrowding on the platform. -- PHOTO: PHILIP LIM

Hundreds of people were left stranded at Tanjong Pagar MRT station on Friday evening, after staff there closed the fare gates to prevent overcrowding on the platforms.

The cause was an SMRT train which had broken down on the East-West Line, resulting in a 20-minute delay that affected some 6,500 commuters in total.

An SMRT spokesman said a westbound train at Kallang MRT developed a fault at around 5.50pm, and had to be taken out of service. This led to the disruption on the westbound service between Kallang and Bugis.

Trains were turned around at Eunos and Bugis to maintain the westbound service on unaffected stretches of the line. Full services resumed at around 6.10pm.

Sauce:

HWZ:

↡ Advertisement

I think it is time to move away from the COE problem (that is already cast in stone) to the hardhitting issue of how LTA is going to measure improvement in MRT and bus services.

Improve, improve, improve - talking so much yearly since MRT built.

Where is improvement? By timetable met, trains frequencies, breakdowns, commuter feedback??

Any independent audit party used?

dont really trust LTA and SMRT figures. vested interests. who audit them?

The question is Not how nationalization of public transport lead to lower quality as it is nit proven But how a privatized Monopoly will lead to competitive value for consumers with increasing quality as it is always proven monopoly will lead to profiteering and lower value for consumers ALWAYS

Mechanical issues are unavoidable. It's just a matter of how frequent it happens within a span of time. If issues could be remedied within an hour or even minutes it's considered efficient.

Even the cars we drive have issues like wear & tear needless to say about trains. It's just that the recent hot topic of transportation put ppl in aggressive nit picking mode.

Edited by Watwheels

Mechanical issues are unavoidable. It's just a matter of how frequent it happens within a span of time. If issues could be remedied within an hour or even minutes it's considered efficient.

Even the cars we drive have issues like wear & tear needless to say about trains. It's just that the recent hot topic of transportation put ppl in aggressive nit picking mode.

but then train break downs are getting very frequent...especially delays...

Neutral Newbie

I dont think this is nit picking. SMRT as a service provider who main aim is to provide train services. If the train breakdown frequently, it's speak volume of is capabilities in providing services especially with the gov giving them more business. I am comparing it like medical device break down during operation, critical bank server broke down during bear or bull run

I am waiting for the CEO to come out any say "if the train want break down, then we also don't have a choice"

Well , its unavoidable bro..

Bro .. It is unavoidable understand but if your mech charge u sky high price for maintaining your car yet your car always breakdown u also feel frustrated right ?

Give more small companies open buses route and fight .. Don give those MNC .. Else it will only be back to square 1 ..

Then why do LTA issue fines for service disruption?

If LTA thinks like you, we definitely doom. Smrt can save money on maintaining parts that take less than 1 hour to repair. Just let it break down more often loh, since sure got wear and tear mah.

One word for you. But nevermind I good mood today. :D

The question is Not how nationalization of public transport lead to lower quality as it is nit proven But how a privatized Monopoly will lead to competitive value for consumers with increasing quality as it is always proven monopoly will lead to profiteering and lower value for consumers ALWAYS

Spot on!! [thumbsup]

Then why do LTA issue fines for service disruption?

If LTA thinks like you, we definitely doom. Smrt can save money on maintaining parts that take less than 1 hour to repair. Just let it break down more often loh, since sure got wear and tear mah.

One word for you. But nevermind I good mood today. :D

I thought an efficient and thorough maintenance schedule plus suitable checks on regular basis can cut down mechanical breakdowns drastically, if not almost completely?? ............ it's not rocket science or super hi-tech stuff our train system running on. [:(]

i believe either someone has been sleeping on his job, or the SOP for preventive maintenance is far from sufficient.... both these are man-made misteaks / oversights

I dont think this is nit picking. SMRT as a service provider who main aim is to provide train services. If the train breakdown frequently, it's speak volume of is capabilities in providing services especially with the gov giving them more business. I am comparing it like medical device break down during operation, critical bank server broke down during bear or bull run

I am waiting for the CEO to come out any say "if the train want break down, then we also don't have a choice"

that charbo has to be sacked.... she's just not up to it when it comes to providing reliable train service..... :o too many incidents liao

that charbo must be trying to cut costs by not scheduling more maintenance..so as to jack up profit for shareholders

i think so too ... no wonder every year can report increasing profit.

that charbo must be trying to cut costs by not scheduling more maintenance..so as to jack up profit for shareholders

From SMRT annual report 2011, the biggest shareholder of SMRT is Temasek @ 54.28%

Pls lor, she cut cost, more like she doesn't have all her fingers in the pie lor. She gives me the impression she really doesn't know what's going on, you watch her media interviews and you may also get that sense. If you investigate what's the most inefficient/overvalued thing in SMRT, I think she's running close to the top, if not the top.

↡ Advertisement