Chevrolet Orlando New MPV

Patricklyb

Hi,this is my first post. I am a new owner. Got my car 4 mths now. Was driving an Altis previously. Just want to share some bad experience .... some pain-posting if you will.

Shattered my rear windscreen 2 days ago. Darn carpark roof top so dark. Also so many hdb car parks today out-dated. Install those darn metal guard rails... hit the top of my rear windscreen. Sounded like an explosion, man! when it broke.. then after that can still cracking sound for a few minutes as the crack spread through out the windscreen. I consider myself a careful driver so this hurts. Ouch!!

Share photo w you all.

Thanks for sharing so that other bros can wary on their parking. Back high and low could have difference. Hope you can nego with your insurance to absorb as main windscreen claim.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, understand that the recommended tyre pressure for our Orlando is 240 each. If we were to pump 250, shouldn't be a problem, right?

I usually pump 250 as SE told me to pump that for good FC. Strange thing is, my FC is usually better at 220-230 after some time. 

I have been pumping 255kpa or 37PSI cold tire pressure for fc. So far ok. But not so comfortable especially for 2nd and 3rd row. Bouncy.

I once also hit onto the MSCP railing while reversing into the internal lot. Hit onto my rear wind screen but lucky did not shatter as my speed is slow. But did left some scratch marks on it.

• Praise 1

Hi all, understand that the recommended tyre pressure for our Orlando is 240 each. If we were to pump 250, shouldn't be a problem, right?

Hi Acosean, I usually pump in 245 for all four. 250 is not a problem but you might experience a more bumpy ride.  

And thanks for the Taxi App, I have transferred it to a thump drive but have not try it out yet.

Hi,this is my first post. I am a new owner. Got my car 4 mths now. Was driving an Altis previously. Just want to share some bad experience .... some pain-posting if you will.

Shattered my rear windscreen 2 days ago. Darn carpark roof top so dark. Also so many hdb car parks today out-dated. Install those darn metal guard rails... hit the top of my rear windscreen. Sounded like an explosion, man! when it broke.. then after that can still cracking sound for a few minutes as the crack spread through out the windscreen. I consider myself a careful driver so this hurts. Ouch!!

Share photo w you all.

There are many of this car parks around. Rivervale Plaza in SengKang also have this design. Usually it's the back to back portion that we have to look out for.

Thanks for all the tips for tyre pressure!

I thought the reverse sensor and reverse camera should help prevent the hitting of the railings?

The only complain I have for the Orlando is it doesn't come from front sensor. Lest I will park head-in too!

BTW I have another question regarding our GPS:

I find its default volume is very loud (instructions for turning, etc.)- much louder than the radio's volume. Thus I tried adjusting its volume level on the GPS. But despite that, there seems to have no difference, that it is still very loud. Tomorrow I'm sending it in for my first 1,000 km servicing. Shall I report this as a problem?

Sorry to hear that. Nearly happened to me once but I spotted the metal guard rails there just as I was reversing. I had to slow down and stopped barely 3pm from it.

If your Orlando is 4 months old, you might have signed up with the special AXA-Alpine Motors scheme insurance where all accident repairs must be done ONLY at Alpine Motors or the insurance company won't pay. Also check your policy on windscreen excess. Most insurance policies have an excess of $100 for replacing of windscreens.

I have just renewed my insurance with another insurer and got rid of that AXA-Alpine scheme insurance as accident repairing ONLY at an Authorised Distributor is usually very expensive compared to outside workshops and this would increase your premiums renewal the following year even if your NCD is unaffected.

With other insurance schemes, for minor body repairs I can choose to repair at cheaper workshops to keep my renewal premiums low. For engine repairs I still go back to the AD to maintain warranty.

Sigh! On the repair it is another frustrating story! But firstly, Maverick713 you're right .. I'm on AXA. And the policy is such that the windscreen repair is free. And if there's no other damage (i.e. just the windscreen is damaged) then NCD is not affected .. but even if there are other damage, it's ok for me as the AXA policy has a NCD protector. Solar film is not covered though. But AXA has a caveat on that ... that is if the solar film is originally from dealer or installed by dealer (in this case it is since it is a new car) then it is covered as well.

On the repair .. it was a horrible experience. Very long story. Cut short - here's a pic. There're 4 of these around the periphery of the windscreen. Now have to send for repainting.

I thought the reverse sensor and reverse camera should help prevent the hitting of the railings?

The only complain I have for the Orlando is it doesn't come from front sensor. Lest I will park head-in too!

I find its default volume is very loud (instructions for turning, etc.)- much louder than the radio's volume. Thus I tried adjusting its volume level on the GPS. But despite that, there seems to have no difference, that it is still very loud. Tomorrow I'm sending it in for my first 1,000 km servicing. Shall I report this as a problem?

On the GPS issue, experienced the same thing. I reported it. Alpine will tell you that it is a 3rd party software and give a phone number and ask you go and contact the person yourself.

post-165977-0-46504700-1447777795_thumb.jpg

You can ask them, if any parts you feel is not right, just have them check for you. :a-m1212:

Sigh! On the repair it is another frustrating story! But firstly, Maverick713 you're right .. I'm on AXA. And the policy is such that the windscreen repair is free. And if there's no other damage (i.e. just the windscreen is damaged) then NCD is not affected .. but even if there are other damage, it's ok for me as the AXA policy has a NCD protector. Solar film is not covered though. But AXA has a caveat on that ... that is if the solar film is originally from dealer or installed by dealer (in this case it is since it is a new car) then it is covered as well.

On the repair .. it was a horrible experience. Very long story. Cut short - here's a pic. There're 4 of these around the periphery of the windscreen. Now have to send for repainting.

On the GPS issue, experienced the same thing. I reported it. Alpine will tell you that it is a 3rd party software and give a phone number and ask you go and contact the person yourself.

Bro, How you got all these scratches? Even not my car I also heart pain for you.

2 weeks back when I drove to JB, someone open his door and hit onto my door handle.

I ask Alpine if they sell any touch up paint. The service center person say "we only spray paint the car, we don't do touch up".

WTF. I was only asking for touch up paint and not for free touch up, why give me crap answer!

Luckily I am able to get the touch up paint at DIY store.

post-37060-0-36619100-1447807370_thumb.jpg

Hi Acosean, there is no way the reverse sensor and camera can detect the metal guard railing as that is erected overhead.   This railing would not hit the boot of a sedan but for tall MPVs and vans, it would be a disaster.  HDB usually puts warning signs at the overhead railings and sometimes painted parts of them bright yellow to alert motorists of the danger.

As for the GPS voice being too loud, the only way to reduce the sound is via the LCD screen controls.  On your screen, press MENU then select TV/AV.  You would see a blank blue screen.  Press anywhere on the blue screen to get an OSD button.  Press the OSD button repeatedly until it displays "Main Volume" and a volume slider.  The default setting should be 45 which you can reduce to lower the GPS voice.   

Did you install a car amplifier for your Orlando?  I only needed to reduce the GPS voice level because it became too loud with the amplifier installed.  

On weird thing I noted about the Orlando is that our turning signal's tic-tac-tic-tac sounds are also played through our car audio unit and speakers.  I had to reduce the gain on my amplifier to reduce the turning signal sounds.

Bro, How you got all these scratches? Even not my car I also heart pain for you.

2 weeks back when I drove to JB, someone open his door and hit onto my door handle.

I ask Alpine if they sell any touch up paint. The service center person say "we only spray paint the car, we don't do touch up".

WTF. I was only asking for touch up paint and not for free touch up, why give me crap answer!

I have seen touch-up paint for Chevrolet cars for sale on on-line stores.  Check them out in ebay or Aliexpress.

Ok, successfully wired to all requesters on the Taxi Simulation App already, pls check your emails! 

Thanks a lot, Bro.

Tested out Taxi Meter Apps and working very well. It also do not disable like FM Radio so we can listen Radio while operating Taxi Meter.

It is fun application and my kids are amazed to see this on the screen. Can consider part time Taxi driver job now, LOL.

I am still not figure out how to play video and using the iPad cable found in dashboard. Anyone can share?   

• Praise 1

Alpine scratched it. That's why so pissed!

Woh.. how that happen? I am sending my car to Alpine Service next week for first 1K check. That scared me...

His was an accident repair where they replaced his windscreen. Yours is only an 1K inspection. Not the same level of risk.

Alpine scratched it. That's why so pissed!

They would repair it under the insurance but I am sure they would pass the bill to AXA. Hopefully it would not translate to higher premiums next year.

They would repair it under the insurance but I am sure they would pass the bill to AXA. Hopefully it would not translate to higher premiums next year.

Good point. I'll check with AXA once everything is done to check what they claim.

Thanks to all concerning the tips on  adjusting the GPS volume; will try it out!

Just did my first 1,000 km servicing. Rather surprised that the engineer told me that my FC will never improve (unlike what you guys mentioned here), i.e. now mine is 9.2 to 9.5 km/l for combined city/highway driving, it will stay that way forever.

But Peugoet's engineer, on the other hand, told my 3rd brother who bought a 308 that the FC will be poor in the initial stage until engine run-in.

Who should I trust?

It's seem the after sale service is not very good.. Different Engineers give different information...hmmmn btw really feel pain for all the bro who have their new car scratch or paint peeled. .. And really thanks for all the tips and pointers shared to everyone. I will be getting my car today..so finger cross..

Again back to my point do glass coating or ceramic coating help in reducing paint scratches or even paint peeled? If it's help maybe we can all look for a good workshop and bargain for a group price to have all our cars coated glass or ceramic coated.

It's seem the after sale service is not very good.. Different Engineers give different information...hmmmn btw really feel pain for all the bro who have their new car scratch or paint peeled. .. And really thanks for all the tips and pointers shared to everyone. I will be getting my car today..so finger cross..

Again back to my point do glass coating or ceramic coating help in reducing paint scratches or even paint peeled? If it's help maybe we can all look for a good workshop and bargain for a group price to have all our cars coated glass or ceramic coated.

IMHO, no matter what you choose, the coat will just act a s a 2nd clear coat on the pain hence protecting it. But don't expect it to be like an armour.

Don't expect it to protect against stone chips or lorry doors.

I did ceramic coating, All I can say is it does help cos it protects the paint from the environment and makes washing so much easier.

If you are thinking of getting ceramic pro from AceGt, you can quote my car number  or membership number. Think you can get a 5% discount.

↡ Advertisement