New 2nd Generation Mercedes B Class

Davidklt

Facing a decision myself so interested to find out from those who have bought or are considering, what made you choose/consider:

- B180 or B200?

- style or urban trim?

- B class vs 216d/218 AT?

Thanks!  [:)]

I find the following comparison between b class and 2AT quite detailed but it's in Chinese.

↡ Advertisement

Facing a decision myself so interested to find out from those who have bought or are considering, what made you choose/consider:

- B180 or B200?

- style or urban trim?

- B class vs 216d/218 AT?

Thanks!  [:)]

B180 or B200, I haven tried the B180 couldn't comment on this. But the B200 has good power to overtake or change lane when you are in a rush. Pick up wise is very good especially when you select the sports mode.

Style or Urban, I think as what other bro say not worth to pay extra. Can you choose to have the paranomic roof for both trim?

B class or 218, personally I like the interior and exterior of the B class. Its more class and premium feel. Reliability and resale value think Merc should be better than BMW.

• Praise 1

I find the following comparison between b class and 2AT quite detailed but it's in Chinese.

I only see in Taiwan Mercedes is more expensive than BMW. BUT in Singapore, Mercedes is cheaper, which makes Mercedes a steal????

Neutral Newbie

What's the reason? Is it due to bigger room or better reliability?

I am sure the handling of Passat is better than B180.

Agree... reliability. Lots of errors ... took to the service centre and was told no problem with the computer diagnosis ... until I pointed out the problems to them....  then I was advise to replace the parts .... no brainer .. don't need a computer to tell me that.

As for handling is a matter of preference.. both are front wheel drive.

I only see in Taiwan Mercedes is more expensive than BMW. BUT in Singapore, Mercedes is cheaper, which makes Mercedes a steal????

Mercedes is cheaper than BMW? U mean without the options? Please go to the respective showrooms and check it out again.

I don't know which options that you are referring to, but at that time when I have made my purchase, Mercedes B180 is definitely cheaper than BMW 218i. And nope, I do not add in more options for the vehicle as I think C&C predict B Class will not be as popular as its A and GLA class, therefore already added in more goodies into the B Class.

• Praise 1

I don't know which options that you are referring to, but at that time when I have made my purchase, Mercedes B180 is definitely cheaper than BMW 218i. And nope, I do not add in more options for the vehicle as I think C&C predict B Class will not be as popular as its A and GLA class, therefore already added in more goodies into the B Class.

GLA is more popular than B?

I am seeing more B on the road than the GLA.

Based on the latest sgcarmart price list from Cycle and Performance, the list price of 216d AT is S$ 147800.00 and that of the B class is $ 152888.00. The 7-seater 216d GT is listed as $ 162800.00.

Indeed the list price shows B180 more than 216d.  If add in Keyless-go and Keyless start is another $2.9k (according to website), which I thought should be quite basic.

Do the owners here get anything near the stated fuel consumption of 5+ l/100km?

The latest 216AT is a diesel version so it's cheaper than the B class but comparatively speaking, the previous 218AT petrol version was indeed more ex than the B class but this is also because the 218AT was in cat B vs B class who is in cat A. So I guess hard to compare like for like but more individual preference I guess. 

Based on the latest sgcarmart price list from Cycle and Performance, the list price of 216d AT is S$ 147800.00 and that of the B class is $ 152888.00. The 7-seater 216d GT is listed as $ 162800.00.

• Praise 4

The latest 216AT is a diesel version so it's cheaper than the B class but comparatively speaking, the previous 218AT petrol version was indeed more ex than the B class but this is also because the 218AT was in cat B vs B class who is in cat A. So I guess hard to compare like for like but more individual preference I guess. 

Easy to compare ... use 218i AT price - COE (cat B) vs B180 price - COE (cat A)

Perhaps the F45 2er interior is more basic than B class, i believe the drive is smoother. Depends if you value the interior design or the drive. 

Easy to compare ... use 218i AT price - COE (cat B) vs B180 price - COE (cat A)

Perhaps the F45 2er interior is more basic than B class, i believe the drive is smoother. Depends if you value the interior design or the drive.

Interior aesthetics is subjective. The local carbuyer reviewer finds the 218i's interior more posh than the B180. Furthermore, I believe the B180 does not comes with keyless entry, electric tailgate and navigation. Adding all these options will most likely make the B180 costs even more than the 216d GT which has all these options plus 7 seat option.

That said, to each its own. But I think generally Mercedes has a higher premium than BMW in Singapore and Taiwan and prob the rest of the world. Even their options are also more expensive, for example if u need sunroof, it will cost more to add for Merc than in BMW. Expensive or not, the buyer must feel justified. For some, Merc is def worth the premium and that's fine. There are ppl who swear by Toyota too. No disrespect to Toyota.

Hi Bro, saw your review on B Class at sgcarmart, definitely helpful.

I've ordered a B180 Style but haven't got it yet (a bit anxious, haha), and my current ride is a 2006 Altis.

Can ask:

1, As you compared with Accord. I thought Accord is a mid-size sedan and has much more space (legroom, width)? My feel is B Class is smaller, but it will be a happy surprise if you feel the other way after long usage.
2, Also is there any jerkiness when downshifting? Saw other users mentioned that. 
3, Is the absence of rear-aircon bothering you? (Anyway the car is short) 

Overall I hope my new B180 will be a upgrade to my 2006 Altis. Interior/feature wise, of course B180 is better. But I am not sure about ride smooth(vs DCT), space, and pick up acceleration (80kw vs 90kw, while B180 is heavier). For reliability, I believe Toyota will win?

Thanks for any inputs. 

B180 or B200?

Depending on the power you want, of course the higher the better! and more $$$ too.

But if you are looking for a hot hatch then maybe you are looking at the wrong place. This ain't no GTi.

For a comfortable ride, B180 is good enough for every day use and overtaking. But then there is always no enough for additional power. wink wink.

Style and Urban trim

Main major difference only 2 - Dual exhaust pipes shown or single hidden pipe. leather wrapped steering wheel or non leather wrapped. Performance no difference at all. If you think paying extra for the urban trim to get these 2 items then go ahead. They are good to have but non essential.

B Class vs 218 AT

Depends on whether you are BMW or Merc person. I have checked out BMW and doesn't like the interior parts especially the speedometer panel side. All red and non-coloured screen. I like the Mercedes interior much better and youthful. Else both cars will serve you fine.

Hope the above helps you.

GLA is more popular than B?

I am seeing more B on the road than the GLA.

because B class has been in the market for a long time as compare to A which is new and cycle stopped bringing it in for a while, GLA is very new comparatively , so you dont see many A and GLA on the road but soon you would.

Neutral Newbie

Overall I hope my new B180 will be a upgrade to my 2006 Altis. Interior/feature wise, of course B180 is better. But I am not sure about ride smooth(vs DCT), space, and pick up acceleration (80kw vs 90kw, while B180 is heavier). For reliability, I believe Toyota will win?

Good choice, I also booked a B180 Style probably will get it in Mar/Apr 2016. Hope to get it earlier as I current car is due for de-registration soon.

Good choice, I also booked a B180 Style probably will get it in Mar/Apr 2016. Hope to get it earlier as I current car is due for de-registration soon.

great, mine is northern light purple and beige, booked at Motorshow weekend, with the same delivery time as you.

For me I am not in hurry as current Altis expires in May

Hi Bro, saw your review on B Class at sgcarmart, definitely helpful.

I've ordered a B180 Style but haven't got it yet (a bit anxious, haha), and my current ride is a 2006 Altis.

Can ask:

1, As you compared with Accord. I thought Accord is a mid-size sedan and has much more space (legroom, width)? My feel is B Class is smaller, but it will be a happy surprise if you feel the other way after long usage.
2, Also is there any jerkiness when downshifting? Saw other users mentioned that. 

Thanks for any inputs. 

Hi Bro

Glad you have made the same choice as me. hahahahaha.

I try to answer to my best knowledge.

My previous ride is the CL7 Accord, It is just about the same size as the current Civic and not the Thailand made Accord, so perhaps that is the reason why I definitely feel the B Class has more interior space than my previous ride. CL7 being a sports sedan has a more cramped interior space.

I am not sure about the jerkiness others are feeling, but being an auto-manual gear (DCT), when you down-shift if the car is running, you should feel the same engine brake effect as the same as manual cars when they down-shift. In fact I have tried just using down-shifting when making a turn without using brakes, which I feel is the fun factor of using DCT.

Nope, B Class got 3 very powerful air vents in front. Aim one at passenger, one at driver and the last one aim straight behind, definitely enough to cool the passengers. Rear aircon vents not good if ladies sit in between leh. hee hee hee.
Oh for those very very hot day, I have placed a USB fan behind for my kids (power comes from the 12V point located behind), cooler than any aircon vents.

Reliability wise, Mercedes has a rather high reliability factor, maybe only lose to Toyota and Honda. But the parts will be higher cost a bit.

Edited by Silverkris
↡ Advertisement