Weak govt will see S

Baphomet

Singapore will "spiral downwards" if it has a weak government, former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew warned recently.

Mr Lee, who was Prime Minister from 1959 to 1990, noted that many Singaporeans now desire a 'First World Parliament' and a two-party political system.

He made these comments in a recent interview with China Central Television that aired on 6 July. The full transcript was obtained by The Straits Times (ST) on Tuesday.

He was quoted as saying, "Their argument is simple. A First World country must have a First World Parliament. A First World Parliament must have a First World opposition. Then you can change dice. I think if ever we go down that road, I'll be very sorry for Singapore."

The Workers' Party had campaigned for a First World Parliament during this year's General Election. It won six seats in Parliament, the highest number to be held by an opposition party since Independence.

Mr Lee was among those who stepped down from the Cabinet after the GE.

On his legacy for the ruling People's Action Party (PAP), Mr Lee said, "I took this country from a very low base in the Third World and in 20 to 40 years gradually transformed it into a First World country, and now it's gone on to a different leadership and new problems crop up because people believe that what has been achieved is always secure. I don't believe that is so."

"I believe once you have weak, ineffective government, the whole progress you have made will spiral downwards. But the majority of people believe it is secure for them, so now they have ideas about the West, two-party system."

He advised the Chinese government to ignore the US' and Europe's criticism of China's system of government, just as he had done when Singapore's governing system was attacked.

The US and Europe believe that "out of contention you get progress", so parties take turns to rule, depending on who temporarily had the upper hand, he was reported as saying.

"If I were the Chinese, I would ignore (their criticisms) and carry on with what I have been doing and make progress, maintain peace and stability and discipline and improve the lives of my people."

He noted, "I just let the critics say what they like. I do what I know I have to do and I have every day proved to them their criticism does not carry weight, that I am still here, the system is still working and the people are thriving. That's the answer to them."

Mr Lee cited similarities between the PAP and Chinese Communist Party, such as cultural backgrounds and working on the basis of pragmatism not dogmatism.

But he also pointed out that while China may be interested in how the Singapore government keeps the city clean and has housing for all its citizens, Singapore is much smaller and more vulnerable to outside forces compared to China.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporesc...-041349460.html

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

So he himself have admitted that he rule this country in communist instead of democracy, so the main question is why have election? [rifle] [rifle]

ya... honestly he should know deep down inside that his current batch of MIW are not up to the mark...

maybe a coalition might get more talented ppl like CSM & Vijay into the picture and improve the current standard...

He noted, "I just let the critics say what they like. I do what I know I have to do and I have every day proved to them their criticism does not carry weight, that I am still here, the system is still working and the people are thriving. That's the answer to them."

And this is our answer to you...

FROM Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_g..._election,_2011

The final results saw a 6.46% swing against the PAP from the 2006 elections to 60.14%, its lowest since independence.[6] While the PAP met most expectations to sweep into power and claim over two-thirds of parliamentary seats, it won 81 out of 87 seats, and lost Aljunied Group Representation Constituency to the Workers' Party of Singapore, the first time a GRC was won by an opposition party. Including the Hougang Single Member Constituency, the Workers' Party ended up with six seats in Parliament, the best opposition parliamentary result since independence.[7][8] Conversely, the other opposition parties gained no seats despite earning much higher vote share percentages. The strong showing of the Workers' Party led to speculation that the elections may see the eventual emergence of a two-party political system in future elections.[9]

Turbocharged

Sigh.. we need a memorial day soon.. RadX can you speed things up a bit?

He have alot of contacts down there.. [laugh]

Turbocharged

Singapore will "spiral downwards" if it has a weak government, former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew warned recently.

Mr Lee, who was Prime Minister from 1959 to 1990, noted that many Singaporeans now desire a 'First World Parliament' and a two-party political system.

He made these comments in a recent interview with China Central Television that aired on 6 July. The full transcript was obtained by The Straits Times (ST) on Tuesday.

He was quoted as saying, "Their argument is simple. A First World country must have a First World Parliament. A First World Parliament must have a First World opposition. Then you can change dice. I think if ever we go down that road, I'll be very sorry for Singapore."

The Workers' Party had campaigned for a First World Parliament during this year's General Election. It won six seats in Parliament, the highest number to be held by an opposition party since Independence.

Mr Lee was among those who stepped down from the Cabinet after the GE.

On his legacy for the ruling People's Action Party (PAP), Mr Lee said, "I took this country from a very low base in the Third World and in 20 to 40 years gradually transformed it into a First World country, and now it's gone on to a different leadership and new problems crop up because people believe that what has been achieved is always secure. I don't believe that is so."

"I believe once you have weak, ineffective government, the whole progress you have made will spiral downwards. But the majority of people believe it is secure for them, so now they have ideas about the West, two-party system."

He advised the Chinese government to ignore the US' and Europe's criticism of China's system of government, just as he had done when Singapore's governing system was attacked.

The US and Europe believe that "out of contention you get progress", so parties take turns to rule, depending on who temporarily had the upper hand, he was reported as saying.

"If I were the Chinese, I would ignore (their criticisms) and carry on with what I have been doing and make progress, maintain peace and stability and discipline and improve the lives of my people."

Mr Lee cited similarities between the PAP and Chinese Communist Party, such as cultural backgrounds and working on the basis of pragmatism not dogmatism.

But he also pointed out that while China may be interested in how the Singapore government keeps the city clean and has housing for all its citizens, Singapore is much smaller and more vulnerable to outside forces compared to China.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporesc...-041349460.html

He always thinks that PAP is the best of the lot.. still out of touch with the ground?