Former DPM Tony Tan

Mecontle

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

NOT surprised!!!

Pappies and the likes (followers/worshippers) considers themselves "supreme thinkers".

I for one vote for "NO PRESIDENT required".

One small dot already 80plus MPs....

Ten small dots must need 800plus MPs ahhh?? [hur]

(Still smaller than Johore in term of size)

80plus MPs to handle 5mil population??

SO many 'eat snake' is it??

Edited by Zak7182

True. My friend went to Australia to study, & never come back. Now live in 2 storey house with nice car with wife & kid.

If I have know, I would have gone oversea as well. :angry:

i am disgusted

many good students are force to study overseas

while universities open leg big big to welcome overseas students

never mind

even worse

give them scholarship even their results (not sure if it is manufactured)

strange is it

what's is the point of calling Singapore our home

why do we pay taxes - so we can help fund scholarship for foreigners

majority of foreign students eventually leave singapore

Turbocharged

...while more graduates are needed to keep the economy going (a shortfall of graduates was expected even if NTU and NUS increased their intake), but that increasing the intake was ruled out for fear that it might

Well, to be fair, that sentence has some truth, though I would use the word "unmarketable" rather than "unmanageable".

It's happening up north in malaysia, where everybody wants to get a degree, and a degree is seen as prestigious and a must-have, an indicator that a person has "arrived", so to speak.

What happened then? Large intakes, undergrads studying subjects that they wanted (or what their govt wanted them to study, to boost certain statistics), and NOT what the industries wanted. Standards plunged, as there was such pressure on their universities to churn out graduates.

If you see situation up north, there are many, many unemployed graduates. Yes, degree is nice piece of paper to have. But industries/employers are not stupid. They are more concerned with the standards backing up that piece of paper.

Back to Singapore, for sure, intake can be increased - but how to maintain and improve standards? Obviously, we have to bite the bullet and do some serious "weeding" of the undergraduates. Make sure that only the truly up-to-standard students graduate. But what about the rest? Unemployable? What about their parents - can the parents accept the fact that their sonny boy didn't work hard enough and therefore fairly dropped from the course?? Hmmm... [lipsrsealed]

Silly alarmist talk.

Are you implying that people who cannot enter NUS/NTU/SMU from esp poly are no good and will pull standards down, and become eventually unemployable? Lots of good Aust/UK/US universities has accepted them and many have probably worked with you and I am sure many are even better than you.

If the kid can graduate, who are you to say? The problem NOW is not dropping standards - they CANNOT get a place in the beginning.

If standards really drop, then we can tackle them but to scare Singaporeans this way is just NOT right. At uni level, standards are NOT just about the students but also the lecturers, teaching methods, research etc..

This problem is just like HDB/MRT - our resources/land are usurped by our short sighted FT policies. But so insidious.

NOT surprised!!!

Pappies and the likes (followers/worshippers) considers themselves "supreme thinkers".

I for one vote for "NO PRESIDENT required".

One small dot already 80plus MPs....

Ten small dots must need 800plus MPs ahhh?? [hur]

(Still smaller than Johore in term of size)

80plus MPs to handle 5mil population??

SO many 'eat snake' is it??

You got the point. You are right. Why waste money for such ceremonial/malingering appointment? Ministers/MPs malingering?

i am disgusted

many good students are force to study overseas

while universities open leg big big to welcome overseas students

never mind

even worse

give them scholarship even their results (not sure if it is manufactured)

strange is it

what's is the point of calling Singapore our home

why do we pay taxes - so we can help fund scholarship for foreigners

majority of foreign students eventually leave singapore

You got the point. You are right. A fool and his money soon part company. Our Government always play the fool with our money. Our President wait for his payday.

this white hair idiot should not be president, i would rather vote for Tan Kian Lian than him. My support goes to Tan Cheng Bock

True. My friend went to Australia to study, & never come back. Now live in 2 storey house with nice car with wife & kid.

If I have know, I would have gone oversea as well. :angry:

Same. A good friend of mine, and my closest cousin all left Singapore to study overseas and both of them never came back.

My friend is now a successful product designer with the firm responsible for producing the "beats" by Dr Dre range of products, and is the lead designer for Lady Gaga. Comes back to Singapore once a year, flys 1st Class no less!

Good article by that "Defender" guy/gal [thumbsup] And thanks to TS for sharing it with us! I had no idea that this fool was responsible for making NUS nearly inaccesible to locals, but an open-house for foreigners [mad] 'Cos I was totally 'bochap' about politics until the recent GE [blush]

Same. A good friend of mine, and my closest cousin all left Singapore to study overseas and both of them never came back.

My friend is now a successful product designer with the firm responsible for producing the "beats" by Dr Dre range of products, and is the lead designer for Lady Gaga. Comes back to Singapore once a year, flys 1st Class no less!

Good article by that "Defender" guy/gal [thumbsup] And thanks to TS for sharing it with us! I had no idea that this fool was responsible for making NUS nearly inaccesible to locals, but an open-house for foreigners [mad] 'Cos I was totally 'bochap' about politics until the recent GE [blush]

me & ur friend & many other poly bros r victim of our own system [bigcry]

Neutral Newbie

My so call New Citizen China neighbour go their HDB flat first hand with subsidies where my peers and friends (True Born Singaporean) are struggling to get a HDB flat or paying high price for a re-sale flat. My neighbour's son is studying in one of the top primary school in the neighbourhood where my niece (Singaporean parents) can't even get into a normal school nearby.

Not to mention university... I struggle hard doing part-time work to support myself through the university where these foreigners are paid to come here to study.....

Am I in Singapore or foreign land?

Turbocharged
(edited)

Silly alarmist talk.

Are you implying that people who cannot enter NUS/NTU/SMU from esp poly are no good and will pull standards down, and become eventually unemployable? Lots of good Aust/UK/US universities has accepted them and many have probably worked with you and I am sure many are even better than you.

Hmm... maybe you're right. My own experience with overseas grad is limited to one that I worked closely with in my first job. By the way, no discrimination against poly grads; my asst at that time was also from poly.

Both of us found this particular overseas grad, newly joined, despite his commendable results, quite slow to pick up skills, and mainly due to aversion to hands-on work. Prefer to sit in the office and do engineering using computer and e-mails [laugh] I wonder why, because my impression was that overseas technical courses emphasize a lot of independent work, but this guy seemed to be the exception.

Currently I do have some overseas grads who went through the poly route as subordinates. And results are not the main indicator of job performance. Some not-so-good foreign unis can produce better workers than some brand-names, honestly.

Edited by Sosaria

In the name of economy and excellent pursuit, if you don't take care of your own people first, the land might be doing well but as a country it is finish!

↡ Advertisement