Eeryone come in and brainstorm! Brain dead ):

Csbo

Your idea reminds me of how a grease trap works.

It is used in cooking establishments to filter away the grease and oil and allow the waste water to go into the sewage.

You referring to the density method? [:)]

Yep, this is mainly the idea used to separate 2 fluids of different density which is used in many industries actually.

In mine, it's called AOC or accidental oil containment.

P.S. next time try pressing the "reply to" button, cause i do not know who you are replying to. haha. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Does using density require the mixture to settle down first?

It will be hard for the mixture to settle down as long as there is a inlet of flow which will disrupt the settling process.

actually a high retention time is enough for the density difference to occur.

Or is there any powder outside that have already exist that could soak up oil and form into a big lump of sticky solid? I just thinking out of box..

Yes, there are various methods that help to coagulate the oil mixture. i have a friend who's doing a project on this and is going overseas to present this [:)] he ie using a method to "suck" up the oil instead.

(edited)

*sigh*... nowadays FYP so much easier .

Just throw the question out onto the forums can take a break and go jalan jalan watch movie and still pretty much come back to lots of input.

So unlike my Uni days where we had to crack our brains and have lengthy discussions with team-mates and FYP tutor and burn quite a bit of holilday time on all these .... [sly]

Edited by Scoots

Twincharged
(edited)

Yes, there are various methods that help to coagulate the oil mixture. i have a friend who's doing a project on this and is going overseas to present this [:)] he ie using a method to "suck" up the oil instead.

wa machiam like vacuum cleaner that suck up the dust, that suck oil out from the water.. the suction must be weak enough to suck up oil but not water.. [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged

Just throw the question out onto the forums can take a break and go jalan jalan watch movie and still pretty much come back to lots of input.

So unlike my Uni days where we had to crack our brains and have lengthy discussions with team-mates and FYP tutor and burn quite a bit of holilday time on all these .... [sly]

Actually even those uni grad last time, they also do not know everything.. so open discussion is actually a good thing.. as it can promote different vast of knowledge..

lolz... this calling tapping on resourses...

haha so far he is the only guy i seen doing that [laugh]

wa machiam like vacuum cleaner that suck up the dust, that suck oil out from the water.. the suction must be weak enough to suck up oil but not water.. [laugh] [laugh]

haha after his presentation, i will reveal more.. but i don't think now is a good time yet.

Twincharged
(edited)

haha after his presentation, i will reveal more.. but i don't think now is a good time yet.

I think I had seen on youtube videos before.. on how the marine industry use a big suction to suck up oil spill.. like the GULF spill

Edited by Yewheng

I think I had seen on youtube videos before.. on how the marine industry use a big suction to suck up oil spill.. like the GULF spill

What he is doing/presenting is his and his team own original research and findings and will be presenting it in sweden actually.

it has not been put to large scale test yet, but it was tested small scale experimentally.

Twincharged

What he is doing/presenting is his and his team own original research and findings and will be presenting it in sweden actually.

it has not been put to large scale test yet, but it was tested small scale experimentally.

haha just side talk not necessery be on his project ma..

haha just side talk not necessery be on his project ma..

haha ok [laugh]

anyway i'm not in the maritime industry.. so might not be the best person to answer your questions sorry!

Twincharged
(edited)

haha ok [laugh]

anyway i'm not in the maritime industry.. so might not be the best person to answer your questions sorry!

No Problem man..

[laugh] [laugh] I also not sure how all these things work.. I quite free and nothing to do.. and happen to view on that clip.. and share when just nice talk about it..

Edited by Yewheng

Nice clip... still the same old method...

Filtration and Density seperation method works best...

If they also integrate the centrifugal seperation method...

I gues it will be much faster....

lolz...

Twincharged

Right! And though e-mail and the Internet already existed (using Netscape Navigator browser)... there was no Google and Wikipedia!! [laugh]

Or are you younger than me??

I remember having to do Literature search via electronic database in the library (those days, came in stacks of CD-ROMs). Either that, or pore through stacks and stacks of dusty backdated academic journals.

But there's nothing wrong with asking around for ideas, opinions, IMHO. Back in the day, we used to do that also. Of course, with the full power of the Internet, forums, etc. more ideas and opinions can be gathered - but the student also needs to spend more time sorting out a lot of junk! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement