Be afraid.....be very afraid....

RadX

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1125633/1/.html

I scaaaaaaaaaaaaaat [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

SINGAPORE: After the financial crisis, and after the economic rebound, the People's Action Party (PAP) leadership sees "dark clouds" ahead.

No fewer than five Ministers, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, sounded the warning on Thursday as the PAP sought to build on its election manifesto of securing Singapore's future.

The message to voters - said at the party's walkabouts, at its election rally and in its political broadcast last night - comes after weeks of framing the 2011 General Election as the one that will usher in a fourth-generation leadership to take Singapore to 2020.

Now, the PAP has filled in the backdrop to their message of leadership renewal, and brought sharply into focus a string of global events happening as the May 7 polls approach.

In the PAP's first party political broadcast, for instance, PM Lee cited the challenge of an "ever-changing and uncertain" international environment.

He said: "We can see dark clouds on the horizon - the political upheavals in the Middle East, the tsunami and nuclear disaster in Japan, serious debt problems in Europe, and a crisis in government finances in the US.

"Our neighbouring countries also face security challenges from extremists and terrorists.

"All these could impact our growth, stability and security."

The PAP's sketch of the global context and how it is expected to affect Singapore - "dark clouds in the next five years", Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam told reporters in a constituency walkabout - was a sharp contrast to a message that the Workers' Party (WP) has carried through for three weeks.

Just as WP secretary-general Low Thia Khiang had said previously that now was the best time to buy "political insurance", his party colleague Pritam Singh said in WP's political broadcast that the time was right "to take advantage of our economic and political stability" to vote the Opposition into Parliament.

The question that DPM Teo posed on Thursday night, as he spoke at the PAP rally in Buangkok, was this: "Can we be sure that the path will be smooth for us in the future? Who knows what challenges and crisis we will face in the coming years?"

The experience of the last 10 years shows that the unexpected can strike, he said, citing the World Trade Centre attack, SARS and the financial collapse in developed countries in 2008.

This year, Singapore's economy is expected to grow by between 4 and 6 percent, but the call for continued vigilance resounded yesterday.

In his May Day message, Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong said: "There could be significant volatility in the global economy ... We must remain vigilant in monitoring these developments and be ready to respond if global growth falters."

The effects are already being felt, Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in the morning as he described the problem of rising costs not just as a local issue but a global one.

In particular, he said the Middle East crisis could greatly impact oil prices and the lives of Singaporeans.

"We talk about cost of living. That will affect us in a very drastic way if the crisis were to filter into Saudi Arabia, which is the largest exporter for oil," he said.

But while the PAP sees this challenge lying in wait for Singapore, the party also believes the answers can be found in its manifesto.

PM Lee said last night in its 12-minute broadcast that the PAP will create better-paying jobs, ensure that low-wage workers are not left behind, strengthen the education system for all children as well as help seniors stay active and healthy.

He acknowledged current issues such as cost of living and how the Government is giving out utility rebates and the Growth Dividends from the Budget, among other offset measures.

As for public housing, he said: "We're building many more new HDB flats. We promise that young families will get their flats sooner, and at affordable prices."

These issues were raised at the Opposition rallies on Thursday night, as they have been in the lead up to the GE. For the PAP, the next phase of the campaign has begun.

Asked on Thursday night if the PAP will keep up its message about the uncertainties of the future, DPM Teo said simply: "If you look at the next 10 years, I honestly can't predict what might turn up. This is one of the things we worry about. We spend a lot of time thinking about it, and it's a reality we live with every day." - TODAY

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I'm trying my best to understand why (according to the PAP) opposition candidates cannot do as well if not better than the incumbent in whatever the future climate may be. It only holds true if each and every PAP candidate is better than their election opponent, but that is not the case (in my view). But the PAP selection process has shown that it is not foolproof. Neither do I believe that the PAP will do more right than the next opposition candidate each and every time. Sure they do right many times, but they have gotten some things wrong too, in certain cases horribly wrong.

If only a few opps. will to win their seats and our country is going to tumble.....then something is

"Downright Questionable"..

If i remember P8P did mention GST will not increase for the next 5 years, if situation doesn't change...

So must set the background story 1st rite...

Afterall 做戏要做全套...

If i remember P8P did mention GST will not increase for the next 5 years, if situation doesn't change...

So must set the background story 1st rite...

Afterall 做戏要做全套...

After hearing all that, I'm very afraid.. very afraid of GST increase after election due to change in situation.

I'm curious why no one ever talk about the minister pay and the president pay for this GE? My belief is that if the MPs / Ministers / Civil Servants / President got heart to serve the people, they won't really want millions of dollars for salary. They will just want a basic salary whereby they can feed themself and their families, occasionally bring the family to resturant for dinner, maybe 2 to 3 trips per year overseas to relax and to see the world, for that I think 200K to 300K SGD should be enough.

The above is based on the fact that Civil servants / Ministers got heavy subside medical benefits. Also, why Singapore chartity need to organise so many fund raising activities with the funds being raised is only millions. All it take is just for every ministers, top civil servants and president donate 10 to 20% of their salary, no fund raising is necessary at all.

Is this a forbidden topic?

more like they know all the bubbles will burst soon.

To protect themselves they quickly gave themselves a 30% increment.

30% increment ar?

when situation change, take a paycut ... go figure is there really a paycut?

To protect themselves they quickly gave themselves a 30% increment.

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

nothing to fear. more of the same. whether dark clouds or no clouds, pap's solution is always the same... increase cost

With them, we have dark clouds + killer lightning + Thunderstorm + Tsunami + Earthquake + Typhoon that will befall upon us. [lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged

Walao..can Minister Gam tell me something I dont know please..we pay him millions to regurgitate straits times material? [speechless]

if they cont w 82 seats i more afraid. and i thk oppo wil simply jus give up fighting anymore, well since u guys like this kind of leadership, its your choice!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1125633/1/.html

I scaaaaaaaaaaaaaat [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

SINGAPORE: After the financial crisis, and after the economic rebound, the People's Action Party (PAP) leadership sees "dark clouds" ahead.

No fewer than five Ministers, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, sounded the warning on Thursday as the PAP sought to build on its election manifesto of securing Singapore's future.

The message to voters - said at the party's walkabouts, at its election rally and in its political broadcast last night - comes after weeks of framing the 2011 General Election as the one that will usher in a fourth-generation leadership to take Singapore to 2020.

Now, the PAP has filled in the backdrop to their message of leadership renewal, and brought sharply into focus a string of global events happening as the May 7 polls approach.

In the PAP's first party political broadcast, for instance, PM Lee cited the challenge of an "ever-changing and uncertain" international environment.

He said: "We can see dark clouds on the horizon - the political upheavals in the Middle East, the tsunami and nuclear disaster in Japan, serious debt problems in Europe, and a crisis in government finances in the US.

"Our neighbouring countries also face security challenges from extremists and terrorists.

"All these could impact our growth, stability and security."

The PAP's sketch of the global context and how it is expected to affect Singapore - "dark clouds in the next five years", Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam told reporters in a constituency walkabout - was a sharp contrast to a message that the Workers' Party (WP) has carried through for three weeks.

Just as WP secretary-general Low Thia Khiang had said previously that now was the best time to buy "political insurance", his party colleague Pritam Singh said in WP's political broadcast that the time was right "to take advantage of our economic and political stability" to vote the Opposition into Parliament.

The question that DPM Teo posed on Thursday night, as he spoke at the PAP rally in Buangkok, was this: "Can we be sure that the path will be smooth for us in the future? Who knows what challenges and crisis we will face in the coming years?"

The experience of the last 10 years shows that the unexpected can strike, he said, citing the World Trade Centre attack, SARS and the financial collapse in developed countries in 2008.

This year, Singapore's economy is expected to grow by between 4 and 6 percent, but the call for continued vigilance resounded yesterday.

In his May Day message, Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong said: "There could be significant volatility in the global economy ... We must remain vigilant in monitoring these developments and be ready to respond if global growth falters."

The effects are already being felt, Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in the morning as he described the problem of rising costs not just as a local issue but a global one.

In particular, he said the Middle East crisis could greatly impact oil prices and the lives of Singaporeans.

"We talk about cost of living. That will affect us in a very drastic way if the crisis were to filter into Saudi Arabia, which is the largest exporter for oil," he said.

But while the PAP sees this challenge lying in wait for Singapore, the party also believes the answers can be found in its manifesto.

PM Lee said last night in its 12-minute broadcast that the PAP will create better-paying jobs, ensure that low-wage workers are not left behind, strengthen the education system for all children as well as help seniors stay active and healthy.

He acknowledged current issues such as cost of living and how the Government is giving out utility rebates and the Growth Dividends from the Budget, among other offset measures.

As for public housing, he said: "We're building many more new HDB flats. We promise that young families will get their flats sooner, and at affordable prices."

These issues were raised at the Opposition rallies on Thursday night, as they have been in the lead up to the GE. For the PAP, the next phase of the campaign has begun.

Asked on Thursday night if the PAP will keep up its message about the uncertainties of the future, DPM Teo said simply: "If you look at the next 10 years, I honestly can't predict what might turn up. This is one of the things we worry about. We spend a lot of time thinking about it, and it's a reality we live with every day." - TODAY

I am afraid, very afraid. Received POLL CARD with phantom name behind mine.

↡ Advertisement