ABS warning lamp

Alantan1978

I am driving Lancer EX 1.5A. I am getting the ABS warning lamp with the idicator indicating "Service Required". it doesn't go off even when I restart the engine. Has anyone experience this before and how did the workshop resolve it? How unlucky I am to get this issue over long weekend holidays when most workshops are closed. Will you suggest going back to Cycle & Carriage Service center or workshop such as Chip Soon Auto?

↡ Advertisement

If under warranty,go back to C&C,should be no danger,still will have brakes,but no A.B.S.,should be sensor went 'kaput'.

Yes mr ER is right.

Still can use, but now it's time to practice what you learnt in driving school. Pump the brakes if u need to e-brake. of course, get it checked ASAP at dealer (if under warranty) and at any reliable WS if no warranty left.

W ABS, forget what driving school taught u. simply SLAM on the brakes if you need to and hold it down hard

what is the year of ur Lancer EX, hear from my WS, there are many case of ABS failure..dont know how serious it is but C&C WS guy are talking abt it.

I am driving Lancer EX 1.5A. I am getting the ABS warning lamp with the idicator indicating "Service Required". it doesn't go off even when I restart the engine. Has anyone experience this before and how did the workshop resolve it? How unlucky I am to get this issue over long weekend holidays when most workshops are closed. Will you suggest going back to Cycle & Carriage Service center or workshop such as Chip Soon Auto?

Hey dude,

Check C&C or run down to a satellite service station ASAP, especially if your under warranty.

This is a well known lemon issue and an EX friend of mine has succumbed to it.

Its a fact that the ABS sensors on the EX need periodic changing, no sweat.

Unfortunately its Sunday today so do try not to use the vehicle until tomorrow.

If you feel uncomfortable have it towed.

Im not sure if C&C is supposed to tell you about this issue, but if im not mistaken and can recall, they did tell my friend at the point of sale.

(edited)

My warranty expired as the car is registered in 2008 January. C&C cost much more for repair. So I wonder if outside workshop has the expertise to repair this. But I doubt C&C will announce the recall unless more Lancer EX owners come forward to make the complaint.

Can all Lancer EX owners who has this problem to fall in here to share experiences? I like to see how many Lancer EX are having ABS failure.

Edited by Alantan1978

Do the following visual check

a) check brake fluid level ( some cars have fluid lebvel sensor)

b) for some cars the brake fluid cover must be properly in position

c) Brake fluid maybe contaminated with high percent of water ( you can only check this condition with a tester)

d) Make sure all the wire harness to ABS unit is properly in position

My warranty expired as the car is registered in 2008 January. C&C cost much more for repair. So I wonder if outside workshop has the expertise to repair this. But I doubt C&C will announce the recall unless more Lancer EX owners come forward to make the complaint.

Can all Lancer EX owners who has this problem to fall in here to share experiences? I like to see how many Lancer EX are having ABS failure.

its a lemon thing. :P

its a lemon thing. :P

But so far it could only be your friend and me. If there are other Lancer EX owners who can feedback on this issue, then we can confirm.

Do the following visual check

a) check brake fluid level ( some cars have fluid lebvel sensor)

b) for some cars the brake fluid cover must be properly in position

c) Brake fluid maybe contaminated with high percent of water ( you can only check this condition with a tester)

d) Make sure all the wire harness to ABS unit is properly in position

Too complicated for me to test for point c & d...

Neutral Newbie

Yes. I'm driving a Lancer EX too. It is a very common thing to most of the EX owners.

The ABS sensors or the speed sensors are pain in the XXX. Better change the sensor asap.

U will find yr brake system to be very weird.

Yes. I'm driving a Lancer EX too. It is a very common thing to most of the EX owners.

The ABS sensors or the speed sensors are pain in the XXX. Better change the sensor asap.

U will find yr brake system to be very weird.

Yes. I find it a pain now when the ABS is not totally disabled and the brakes vibrates with strange sound and feels like brakes jamming... Argh!!!

But when the ABS has been totally disabled, it is still OK... It's driving without ABS only.

But so far it could only be your friend and me. If there are other Lancer EX owners who can feedback on this issue, then we can confirm.

Sorry,

You got my agreement on that.

need more feedback.

:)

Edited by AceofproZ

I have booked an appointment with C&C for this Saturday. Hope they will admit that this is their parts issue and will do something for me.

I have booked an appointment with C&C for this Saturday. Hope they will admit that this is their parts issue and will do something for me.

my family used to have a kia carens in 2002.

also have this issue.

on the 5.5th year, ABS light came on.

went to C&C, they willing to rectify it at 1.2k after discount (our case was some ABS pump failure).

then we went to outside workshop, they willing to do it at a cheap price.

however, i heard from a friend (who is an ah beng working in workshop) that ABS rectification in outside workshop is unreliable.

if they die die can't rectify, they'll simply disable the ABS and charge u machiam like they have repaired it.

in the end, we change car.

Hi Bro,

Same case here, Lancer EX Jan 2008 registered.

I encountered the same problem last year December 2010 and straightaway went to CnC to get it checked. The mechanic said it was a small problem due to sensor being dirty. Its a common problem I guess.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bro,

I am driving a Lancer Ex and in within 1 year I have already changed 2 of my ABS sensor. According to the mechanics they mentioned that the sensor is very sensitive and prone to damage. As what I heard from some of my friends who did not service with C & C they would normally charge them for using the diagnostic equipment only but no charge for the ABS sensor replacement if the car is still under warranty. In your case warranty is over I am not too sure how they would charge you.

↡ Advertisement