Malaysian chinese accent

Carer

Turbocharged

wah.. admire you. i reading this for personal enjoyment. cannot find my self to read finish this book :blink:

water margin and 3 kingdom similar, story near the end a bit boring.

Yeah, Water Margin and 3 Kingdoms start out very interesting, but the endings were very much letdowns.

Towards the end I cannot stand Song Jiang though he's supposed to be the morally good character. He indirectly caused the deaths of many of his good bros towards the end of the story when he encouraged them to stop resisting. But under chinese value system, ultimate loyalty to the 'true' emperor is considered most important.

Same goes for 3 Kingdoms... Liu Bei is supposed to be the morally good hero. But he promoted his incapable son and even got the more capable Zhuge Liang to promise to lend his support to the son. Ultimately led to the destruction of his faction.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Anyway, to add to discussion, why do we look down on local varieties or accents, whether singlish or malaysian chinese?

Europeans like Italians and French come here speak atrocious English in their weird accents but local (girls) find it sexy [laugh]

All in the mind and it's all about perception. If we manage to get a lot of people to spread the idea, Singlish or Malaysian accent will one day become sexy too! [laugh]

Yeah, Water Margin and 3 Kingdoms start out very interesting, but the endings were very much letdowns.

Towards the end I cannot stand Song Jiang though he's supposed to be the morally good character. He indirectly caused the deaths of many of his good bros towards the end of the story when he encouraged them to stop resisting. But under chinese value system, ultimate loyalty to the 'true' emperor is considered most important.

Same goes for 3 Kingdoms... Liu Bei is supposed to be the morally good hero. But he promoted his incapable son and even got the more capable Zhuge Liang to promise to lend his support to the son. Ultimately led to the destruction of his faction.

you misread the liu bei part.

during that era, its common for king to pass the seat to his son.

in liu bei death bed, his instruction to Zhuge Liang is to help his son, but if his son is incapable, overthrown him. Zhuge liang out of his blind loyalty did not do that.

Anyway, Romance of 3 kingdom is machiam like Da Vinci Code, a mix of friction and real history. in real history, Liu Bei next in line is his son Liu Zhang. who gone stupid after Liu bei throw him to the ground :D :D

but there are some who say, his son is very clever, he know that the normal peasant just yawn for peace, so he rather surrender than prolong their aggony.

BTW, are you aware that 3 kingdom is first writen by Lui Bei desendant.

Edited by Joseph22

Anyway, to add to discussion, why do we look down on local varieties or accents, whether singlish or malaysian chinese?

Europeans like Italians and French come here speak atrocious English in their weird accents but local (girls) find it sexy [laugh]

All in the mind and it's all about perception. If we manage to get a lot of people to spread the idea, Singlish or Malaysian accent will one day become sexy too! [laugh]

Taiwaness find our english attractive :wub:

Neutral Newbie

Not offensive at all. In fact it is the joke to start my day. [laugh]

Perhaps he has very small circle of friends from Malaysia and hence the conclusion.

It was not meant to be offensive. Over the past twenty years, I have observed not just Malaysian classmates in universities in Singapore, but also Malaysians who migrated to Singapore, Malaysians who travel from Johor Baru to work in Singapore daily, and Malaysians who work in Johor Baru. But as usual, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, based on his or her personal experience.

Edited by Hwt

erh, liu bei kind of know his son cmi.

he told zhugeliang to make himself the ruler once liu bei pass away. only thing is zhugeliang too soft hearted and still continue to support ah dou

malaysians always like to use "..........吧了" ba liao...

their accent is very obvious. past few yrs the mediocrop collaborated with malaysian tv..

the moment they open their mouth u know they are malaysians..

erh, liu bei kind of know his son cmi.

he told zhugeliang to make himself the ruler if confirm his son cannot make it once liu bei pass away. only thing is zhugeliang too soft hearted and still continue to support ah dou

amended [laugh]

If one is proficient in Chinese, one should not have a terrible "accent"............. I am from qiong2 yao2 days, so I expect spoken Mandarin to match written Chinese............ :) May be I am outdated.

It's just like asking Singaporean to speak British English. Can you do that day in day out?

their accent is very obvious. past few yrs the mediocrop collaborated with malaysian tv..

it is 罢了, not 吧了 :D

Oic. oic...Whenever you go overseas and hear the persons say ...then hoh....then hoh....then hoh u know hoh....where they come from hoh... [laugh]

when i was in uni time...i happened to stare at a chio bu.....tat lady came to me and asked..." diao wo zo mo"....i was stunned...and i replied " wo mei you diao ni ah..."

after the incident i realized " diao" means " look"..she actually meaned y i looked at her. In malaysia context..."diao" means "fuk"....haha damn funny story

The education system here is somewhat different. Sgporean students have the luxury to choose. If they are no good in Chinese, they won't be "forced" into it. My neighbour's children are taking higher Chinese in their secondary school subjects. Actually there is no way to determine the level of Chinese standard between the two. M'sia have English & Chinese schools as well, only difference is they are private schools.

theres a problem with the system though. theres no oral and even for CL, oral is only a small fraction of the grade. most of the emphasis is on read + write but not speak.

i was a HCL kid - i would say my chinese vocab and writing is quite ok but i sound damn weird when i speak chinese.

i don't know. locals say i sound very gan-tang when i speak chi. when overseas helping hotel staff translate to PRCs at the lobby, they think im from taiwan, and so on.

when i was in uni time...i happened to stare at a chio bu.....tat lady came to me and asked..." diao wo zo mo"....i was stunned...and i replied " wo mei you diao ni ah..."

after the incident i realized " diao" means " look"..she actually meaned y i looked at her. In malaysia context..."diao" means "fuk"....haha damn funny story

talking about this, maybe time to ask a malaysian.

is the ringgit currency all the while 令吉(order prosperity) or was it ever 零吉 (zero prosperity).

in the past all the major chinese newscaster in singapore read it as the latter, until recently they read it as the former.

i thought the former doesn't jive well with its english pronunciation although the latter is not good for supersititious reasons.

it is perception but some things are just stuck. it's just like how u wouldnt try to pick up girls with a thick indian accent right? can u imagine?

talking about this, maybe time to ask a malaysian.

is the ringgit currency all the while 令吉(order prosperity) or was it ever 零吉 (zero prosperity).

in the past all the major chinese newscaster in singapore read it as the latter, until recently they read it as the former.

i thought the former doesn't jive well with its english pronunciation although the latter is not good for supersititious reasons.

haha....u r quite observant...to my understanding...both are just a translation from the word "ringgit" whether it was for superstitious or whatever reason. But during my earlier time...the latter was used...maybe that's y Sorros devalued ringgit badly last time...haha

haha....u r quite observant...to my understanding...both are just a translation from the word "ringgit" whether it was for superstitious or whatever reason. But during my earlier time...the latter was used...maybe that's y Sorros devalued ringgit badly last time...haha

haha yah lor, when i hear the radio on malaysia, i was still criticising their mandarin cannot make it by pronouncing it the 4th sound of ling instead of the 2nd sound of ling. then later i realize even the chinese word change. so it seems like conscious effort to change from zero prosperity to order prosperity haha if the 2nd sound was the original word.

↡ Advertisement