Malaysian chinese accent

Carer

Turbocharged

In general, Malaysian Chinese definitely has higher standard of Mandrain/Chinese than us Singaporean Chinese. Period. When I was a kid, I compare what my cousins in JB was studying. Realised their Chinese syllabus all way ahead of us. Then while working with fellow Chinese Malaysians, all are fluent in Mandrain. Unlike us Singaporeans who have dificulties in explaning certain things in Mandrain without a word of English in it.

↡ Advertisement

malaysian with that accent most probably in Malaysia, they speak not only speak mandarin, but cantonese(mostly in KL& ipoh), hakka (sabah, sarawak, johor), hokkien (johor)...

but in sg mostly english and mandarin with fewer younger generation know how to speak hokkien...its kind of a sad thing to forget how to speak own native language...

i do speak cantonese, hakka, bahasa malay, some hokkien...and a little english...i find that it is fun to speak many language at the same time...like to learn japanese too.

i speak cantonese with dad and hakka with mum, chinese with my sister.

remember once we have family shopping at shopping centre...and discuss which shirt to buy and the disccusion was in all these 3 languages...such a weird scenario...haha..

Edited by Stonesix

In general, Malaysian Chinese definitely has higher standard of Mandrain/Chinese than us Singaporean Chinese. Period. When I was a kid, I compare what my cousins in JB was studying. Realised their Chinese syllabus all way ahead of us. Then while working with fellow Chinese Malaysians, all are fluent in Mandrain. Unlike us Singaporeans who have dificulties in explaning certain things in Mandrain without a word of English in it.

i beg to defer on this.

my chinese not very good in O-level only B3 nia. but my chinese better than most of my malaysia colleague.

i beg to defer on this.

my chinese not very good in O-level only B3 nia. but my chinese better than most of my malaysia colleague.

bro...how u define ur chinese is better than ur malaysian colleague? i ask u something....do u learn 文言文 during your secondary school? Do ur chinese examination include chinese calligraphy? is compulsory in malaysian government school to learn at least 60 名句精华 from sec 1 to sec 5...do you leant that in school? exam time we need to translate 文言文 into 白话文....have u tried tat b4?

bro...how u define ur chinese is better than ur malaysian colleague? i ask u something....do u learn 文言文 during your secondary school? Do ur chinese examination include chinese calligraphy? is compulsory in malaysian government school to learn at least 60 名句精华 from sec 1 to sec 5...do you leant that in school? exam time we need to translate 文言文 into 白话文....have u tried tat b4?

how i define?? by the numbers of words i know more than them. most of the time, they treat me like a dictionary and ask me for the meaning of the words.

writen wise, of couse i cannot win them that is why i score only a B4(sorry not B3 forgot to read-proof). but in understanding chinese characters and varies idoim, i win them.

Chinese Calligraphy is an art, totally separate from chinese language itself. like poems writing is separated from English langauge.

as for wen yuan wen, its also not that difficult if your basic understanding of chinese is good. but of couse this one i loss to them, since i didnt study before.

however, overall chinese usage. i am better.

Edited by Joseph22

how i define?? by the numbers of words i know more than them. most of the time, they treat me like a dictionary and ask me for the meaning of the words.

writen wise, of couse i cannot win them that is why i score only a B4(sorry not B3 forgot to read-proof). but in understanding chinese characters and varies idoim, i win them.

Chinese Calligraphy is an art, totally separate from chinese language itself. like poems writing is separated from English langauge.

as for wen yuan wen, its also not that difficult if your basic understanding of chinese is good. but of couse this one i loss to them, since i didnt study before.

however, overall chinese usage. i am better.

hmm....the only reason i can tell you is either ur frens dun study chinese in school or they never complete their studies...not every chinese knows chinese well in malaysia... alot of my chinese fren from malay school and they dun know chinese.. but to those who when thru wat i mentioned above will never be as bad as u think...but of coz it has been a long time for me never write in chinese...so i have forgotten alot of words...ever since i started working in singapore 10 years ago

hmm....the only reason i can tell you is either ur frens dun study chinese in school or they never complete their studies...not every chinese knows chinese well in malaysia... alot of my chinese fren from malay school and they dun know chinese.. but to those who when thru wat i mentioned above will never be as bad as u think...but of coz it has been a long time for me never write in chinese...so i have forgotten alot of words...ever since i started working in singapore 10 years ago

they study chinese school lah... they know more character than me. but their understanding of words is lesser.

but me a bit different case. i watch a lot of china drama/show when young. so know a lot more than them in this area.

the basic chinese from the school in malaysia is not taught in great depth compared to the higher chinese in singapore, especially in recent year where more PRC teachers are here and the standard they set is scary....

Also need to add is the chinese in singapore are taught in more practical way for exam or commercial purpose. whereas in malaysia are more for the student to explore if they are interested.

whereas chinese in malaysia is getting less focus on when parents send their kids to private school to prepare them for overseas study which do not offer chinese subject. Those kids in KL where parents eat potato type can hardly write their name...

Edited by Jman888

the basic chinese from the school in malaysia is not taught in great depth compared to the higher chinese in singapore, especially in recent year where more PRC teachers are here and the standard they set is scary....

Also need to add is the chinese in singapore are taught in more practical way for exam or commercial purpose. whereas in malaysia are more for the student to explore if they are interested.

whereas chinese in malaysia is getting less focus on when parents send their kids to private school to prepare them for overseas study which do not offer chinese subject. Those kids in KL where parents eat potato type can hardly write their name...

yeah i come to realize native KL-reans hardly can speak or write mandarin during a recent consult. lucky i can speak Cantonese :D

i heard in KL, those more affluent Chinese used to think English speaking sets them on higher class while Mandarin speaking sets them on lower class. so they completely don't read chinese, end up they only know Cantonese.

yeah i come to realize native KL-reans hardly can speak or write mandarin during a recent consult. lucky i can speak Cantonese :D

i heard in KL, those more affluent Chinese used to think English speaking sets them on higher class while Mandarin speaking sets them on lower class. so they completely don't read chinese, end up they only know Cantonese.

speaking of this, my malaysia colleague told me before, the behaviour of singaporean and KL very similar. saying likely its just a typical city man behaviour.

he further add that their children like ours also pamper.

Edited by Joseph22

Bro, SG also got many parents eat potato type and CERTAINLY will become more n more cos "Upper class" english speaking people in SG think Mandarin speaking as "low class" :huh:

Bro, SG also got many parents eat potato type and CERTAINLY will become more n more cos "Upper class" english speaking people in SG think Mandarin speaking as "low class" :huh:

the different is chinese subject in singapore is compulsory and the kids LL must study and pass, they can kpkb....

but over there, the freedom is you can skip chinese completely, therefore more elite [laugh] [laugh]

speaking of this, my malaysia colleague told me before, the behaviour of singaporean and KL very similar. saying likely its just a typical city man behaviour.

he further add that their children like ours also pamper.

is rather shortsighted to think speaking mandarin sets them on lower class.

i speak more language i can go any class.

is rather shortsighted to think speaking mandarin sets them on lower class.

i speak more language i can go any class.

not very sure about the english speaking one cause the KL ppl i know not like that.

but there is a distinct dislike from other states one when they realise later that the colleague is from KL.

Neutral Newbie

Basically, Malaysian Chinese who did study Chinese well (as I said earlier based on my observation, many in this region did not) are able to write in this way upon graduating from secondary school:

http://opinions.sinchew-i.com/

I expect their spoken Mandarin to match that standard, but some participants said it is not necessary. Anyway, there are a small number of people who do.

This is a comparable article in 联合早报:

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/special/forum/pag..._zp110331.shtml

But he is probably not a Singaporean.

This may have been written by a Singaporean:

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/ge/pages/ge110325.shtml

There are some pretty obvious differences in the first and the third articles. They reflect how proficient one is in the language, and indirectly determine the readability of an article.

Of course, we can find articles of lower Chinese standard in Malaysia. Probably not so appropriate to cite them here though.

Edited by Hwt

not very sure about the english speaking one cause the KL ppl i know not like that.

but there is a distinct dislike from other states one when they realise later that the colleague is from KL.

ok that part i heard from somone who lived in KL for some time.

anycase, i tend to look down on pple who thinks speaking english only puts them at higher class. and i do see some singaporeans think that way.

Basically, Malaysian Chinese who did study Chinese well (as I said earlier based on my observation, many in this region did not) are able to write in this way upon graduating from secondary school:

http://opinions.sinchew-i.com/

I expect their spoken Mandarin to match that standard, but some participants said it is not necessary. Anyway, there are a small number of people who do.

This is a comparable article in 联合早报:

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/special/forum/pag..._zp110331.shtml

But he is probably not a Singaporean.

This may have been written by a Singaporean:

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/ge/pages/ge110325.shtml

There are some pretty obvious differences in the first and the third articles. They reflect how proficient one is in the language, and indirectly determine the readability of an article.

Of course, we can find articles of lower Chinese standard in Malaysia. Probably not so appropriate to cite them here though.

i would say the standard for speaking and writing can be quite far apart from each other, i have seen chinese from china who doesn't speak well in english but very good in written communication. Speaking has to do with certain confident level (introvert vs extrovert) or even training in speech, whereas writing can be trained with practice and more practice.

Edited by Jman888

Neutral Newbie

The standard of spoken Mandarin differs a lot among Chinese in Malaysia. The current and past two MCA presidents show how big the difference can be - from bad to excellent to below average (ordered with respect to time).

↡ Advertisement