Class of 2010: More jobs, better starting pay for grads

Greatbirdlegend

Seems like starting pay are in tandem with inflation, but our pay increment lacks behind alot. Sooner we'll see fresh grad starting pay higher than their immediate supervisor who's increment can't keep up with inflation.

This theory I agree. with inflation induced pay, a mere 3 to 4% increment on a 3K fresh grad pay vs a 2K fresh grad pay does makes a difference.

↡ Advertisement

Mar 22, 2011

Class of 2010: More jobs, better starting pay for grads

By Jane Ng

Miss Ku Kairong, 25, from NTU's school of art, design and media, got a job as an art director with advertising agency TBWA before she graduated last May and will soon be joining another agency.

Ku Kairong' is not a common example, she's really really talented and had already won awards prior to graduating.

http://www.kairongku.com/

I wont forget prior to this job, got one job lobang as admin assistant in HS** in their risk dept as temp for 3 months. Hourly rate is $7.50.

My eyes brighten up and say I want I want ..the HR ask for qualifications. I say fresh grad then no reply liao.

I wanted to cry out coz spend so much $$ study cant even secure a $7.50/hr job. Not fogetting I got some work experience.

last time u also nv tell me abt this incident.. else i dun let u resign already! sayang sayang

Should have gone into business or accountancy.

Local banks giving up to 30 months bonuses

accountancy is pretty broad but i guess generally my peers are doing ok, except probably less than 10% are stil in big 4 hehe..whereas business studies prospects are much more diversified, the ones who branched into banking, FIs are ok but prob not so for those in HRM, Hospi, Mkg really tio stuck.

last time u also nv tell me abt this incident.. else i dun let u resign already! sayang sayang

That is before U become my boss what.

Only if your cousin is experienced and has a track record in the industry, yes, possible

but mid 20s Singaporean man is still wet behind the ears in the workforce, how to have track record and experience?

They may get a fairly high basic but 5 digit and guaranteed 1 yr bonus? definitely not.

It's true that you'll need to have some network but calling that pulling strings would be too strong.

Becos for trading / dealing job, you must perform. if you get in an dont perform, you become a parasite and a cost.

Parasites and Costs get booted out in time to come.

In today's world, even wine and dine private bankers are slowly but surely being eliminated as clients are more sophisticated and more results oriented.

A fresh grad getting $4 - $5k basic in the financial industry?

Yes definitely attainable, in a certain area of the financial industry and these are not cream of the crop yet.

Exactly. So that's why I say LUCK is important. Sometimes it really doesn't matter if you graduate top or bottom of class. During my time, loads of propaganda of getting good grades can find good jobs, etc........I think all those are BS. In fact, when I choose to go commerce in JC, my lecturer encourage me to do science as my grades were very good; telling me science can do commerce and not the other way, blah blah......so I dummy follow her advice.

I'm pretty sure many of us that graduated a decade ago would have come across this. So what if I graduated top 5% in class? No luck = no $$ in life [laugh]

Exactly. So that's why I say LUCK is important. Sometimes it really doesn't matter if you graduate top or bottom of class. During my time, loads of propaganda of getting good grades can find good jobs, etc........I think all those are BS. In fact, when I choose to go commerce in JC, my lecturer encourage me to do science as my grades were very good; telling me science can do commerce and not the other way, blah blah......so I dummy follow her advice.

I'm pretty sure many of us that graduated a decade ago would have come across this. So what if I graduated top 5% in class? No luck = no $$ in life [laugh]

yes Luck makes a HUGE difference.

seems like SMU had beaten NUS and NTU 2 years (2009 & 2010) straight in terms of employability and highest startup pay ....

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

seems like SMU had beaten NUS and NTU 2 years (2009 & 2010) straight in terms of employability and highest startup pay ....

SMU typically has a much smaller graduating cohort than the other 2.. I believe the number of students in NUS Engineering Faculty alone is about the same as the whole of SMU student population.

one very very real reason is becos there are many rich and influential kids in SMU compared to the NUS.

When elite kids graduate, it is not as tough to get elite jobs.

Not always the case , of course but more often than not.

Formula of the equation is simple and straightforward

High pay + Success = Luck + capability + people you know

roughly is like this

yup cant fault you there

Guys, anyone of u encountered or can advise how to deal with this situation.

Lets Company A has made me an offer for a job on the 1st march. Signed employment letter n Starts work 7th march.

COmpany B calls on the 3rd march and offers a better package.

So now if i want to take company B offer ............wat r the options/shld i do ????

1. SHld i start work at A then resign as per normal and serve the notice say 1 month. Then sign with B to start work 1 month later

2. Can i tell A that i have a better deal and see if they willing to let me go ??

3. Can i get company B to call up company A and let them discuss n negotiate ?

4. any other advises ??????

I was in a similar situation a year ago. Signed the contract with the new employer, but while still serving notice, I was persuaded to stay.

Option 1 is bad. You should not take them for a ride this way. Imagine they have to train u up and before u are fully functional, you quit.

Option 2 is being truthful, but you will be seen as a money faced individual. Not good for your reputation.

Option 3 is the worst. I dun even know what to say.

Best option is to weigh the merits of the 2 offers yourself and if you have decided to go with B, then tell A that you have decided to join another company. If they want you badly enough, they will offer to up your pay and so on...

Guys, anyone of u encountered or can advise how to deal with this situation.

Lets Company A has made me an offer for a job on the 1st march. Signed employment letter n Starts work 7th march.

COmpany B calls on the 3rd march and offers a better package.

So now if i want to take company B offer ............wat r the options/shld i do ????

1. SHld i start work at A then resign as per normal and serve the notice say 1 month. Then sign with B to start work 1 month later

2. Can i tell A that i have a better deal and see if they willing to let me go ??

3. Can i get company B to call up company A and let them discuss n negotiate ?

4. any other advises ??????

read your contract properly

you can sign but you can also call them to reject them and not turn up.

It may not be that great for reputation but heck, you decide which makes better sense.

If you are worried that company may take action against you, it's better to call them to reject verbally and see if they accept.

no point taking action, it costs more money than employing you.

and it is a waste of time. unless your salary is >$100k per month and you generate vast sums of rev for the company, it's very very unlikely that they will want to take any action.

so if you have decided to join co. B, the best thing for you to do is call up Co.A and apologise sincerely and reject Co.A politely although you have signed.

simple as that

This was the 2010 GES from MOE that the article referred to.

The last reported national unemployment rate in Dec 2010 was 2.2%.

But the survey shows much lower employment rates for graduates though.

MOE 2010 GES results for NUS, NTU and SMU