Class of 2010: More jobs, better starting pay for grads

Greatbirdlegend

Cannot compare salary now and last time mah...

Factor in inflation, rising wages due to competition, salaries definitely higher than 10 years ago.

$13k starting salary is really something, must be a trader.

Traders, banker this type of job not anyone can do one, need network to pull string den can go into the community. These type of job opening not those flip newspaper, surf jobsdb etc den can apply type. My cousin go into forex, only mid 20s already fetch 5 digit pay mthly with guaranteed 1 yr bonus, my auntie those rich tai tai know those foreign bank hr boss, pull string to let her work there. This type of job even u wanna do also no chance if u dunno anyone out there.

Traders, banker this type of job not anyone can do one, need network to pull string den can go into the community. These type of job opening not those flip newspaper, surf jobsdb etc den can apply type. My cousin go into forex, only mid 20s already fetch 5 digit pay mthly with guaranteed 1 yr bonus, my auntie those rich tai tai know those foreign bank hr boss, pull string to let her work there. This type of job even u wanna do also no chance if u dunno anyone out there.

Only if your cousin is experienced and has a track record in the industry, yes, possible

but mid 20s Singaporean man is still wet behind the ears in the workforce, how to have track record and experience?

They may get a fairly high basic but 5 digit and guaranteed 1 yr bonus? definitely not.

It's true that you'll need to have some network but calling that pulling strings would be too strong.

Becos for trading / dealing job, you must perform. if you get in an dont perform, you become a parasite and a cost.

Parasites and Costs get booted out in time to come.

In today's world, even wine and dine private bankers are slowly but surely being eliminated as clients are more sophisticated and more results oriented.

A fresh grad getting $4 - $5k basic in the financial industry?

Yes definitely attainable, in a certain area of the financial industry and these are not cream of the crop yet.

Edited by Throttle2

Only if your cousin is experienced and has a track record in the industry, yes, possible

but mid 20s Singaporean man is still wet behind the ears in the workforce, how to have track record and experience?

They may get a fairly high basic but 5 digit and guaranteed 1 yr bonus? definitely not.

It's true that you'll need to have some network but calling that pulling strings would be too strong.

Becos for trading / dealing job, you must perform. if you get in an dont perform, you become a parasite and a cost.

In today's world, even wine and dine private bankers are slowly but surely being eliminated as clients are more sophisticated and more results oriented.

Yes definitely attainable, in a certain area of the financial industry and these are not cream of the crop yet.

i see liaoz

sho emo [bigcry]

i see liaoz

sho emo [bigcry]

no need to emo. there are trade offs always.

What is more important is not what you start off with, but how you advance from there

Edited by Throttle2

7-8k not everyone lah.. selected 1 or 2 out of thousands, CAP perfect 5.0/5.0 one.. the rest still stuck with <1k allowance.. <_<

my friend got into one of those financial institution with 7-8k intern 'allowance'. Internship is 2 phases, first part in hk second in sg itself.

no perfect score, just close...but a lot of ccas and ace the interview...

no need to emo. there are trade offs always.

What is more important is not what you start off with, but how you advance from there

1st job: kena scream at everyday

2nd job: sometimes i can shout back

present job: first thing reach office call ppl in my room and start screaming at them

life goes one big circle... [laugh] [laugh]

1st job: kena scream at everyday

2nd job: sometimes i can shout back

present job: first thing reach office call ppl in my room and start screaming at them

life goes one big circle... [laugh] [laugh]

wah, but that doesnt sound too pleasant leh...

I dont think i've ever shouted (in anger) at anyone (co worker) at my workplace to date.

Edited by Throttle2

wah, but that doesnt sound too pleasant leh...

I dont think i've ever shouted (in anger) at anyone at my workplace to date.

low class job mah [laugh]

how to be civil ...

me just a humble blue collar coolie [bigcry]

low class job mah [laugh]

how to be civil ...

me just a humble blue collar coolie [bigcry]

likewise.

Actually I do shout but only at the patrons who cannot eat properly and dirty the tables making my job tougher.

2 scenarios to find jobs

1. Be a commoner and apply with the crowd. ~ 1 huge santa claus bag of applications

2. People look for you for the job.

haha....

5 digit and guaranteed 1 yr bonus?............thats $240,000 per annum package at least !!!! How many singaporeans command this ?????

alot of ppl apparently...

if you believe what you read [laugh]

It's a lot to do with luck if you graduate into a bad economy.

But even if it's good times you can still fall into the wrong sectors.

I have a few very brilliant friends who got into engineering back when the govt was hyping it up.

They went into semicon industry and the rest as they say is history. [:(]

tell me about it...my civil frens were hit real bad during 1995-2000 uni period. one year it was hot stock and the next was trash, suddenly became dumpin ground.

Their statisitcs is always skewed to those few indivduals who have attain high pay and multiple job openings...

They don't represent the vast majority.

The same method is also used to skew their own high pay....pegging to the very top earners in the private sectors...

They skew inflation, as and when it suits them, to to justify further pay increases.

The whole picture in the place is SKEWED to their benefit and the ppl are SCREWED! :D

i agree... basic 5 figure, no problem. But for fresh grad?

If its true, let's just say its a black swan...

I am also pretty sure there's no such thing as a "guaranteed" bonus.

Cannot compare salary now and last time mah...

Factor in inflation, rising wages due to competition, salaries definitely higher than 10 years ago.

$13k starting salary is really something, must be a trader.

Seems like starting pay are in tandem with inflation, but our pay increment lacks behind alot. Sooner we'll see fresh grad starting pay higher than their immediate supervisor who's increment can't keep up with inflation.

↡ Advertisement