Greatbirdlegend

The good news keep coming!

Congratulations to the class of 2010!

More good years!

-----

Mar 22, 2011

Class of 2010: More jobs, better starting pay for grads

By Jane Ng

Miss Ku Kairong, 25, from NTU's school of art, design and media, got a job as an art director with advertising agency TBWA before she graduated last May and will soon be joining another agency. -- ST PHOTO: RAJ NADARAJAN

WITH the economic recovery, the Class of 2010 from the three local universities is reporting higher employment rates and better starting salaries compared to graduates from the year before.

In particular, graduates from the Singapore Management University (SMU) last year had a record employment rate of 99.9 per cent and higher starting salaries across five of the university's degree programmes, surpassing the performance of graduates in 2009, when 96.8 per cent found employment.

At the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), about 90 per cent found jobs within six months.

These were among the findings of the Graduate Employment Survey just released by the Education Ministry.

The average monthly salary among SMU graduates in full-time jobs was $3,271, an improvement of 5.8 per cent over 2009's figure of $3,093 - it is also the highest for SMU graduates since its first cohort graduated in 2004.

In addition, the top 20 per cent of its graduates, usually those working in financial institutions, took home an average salary of $5,062. There were some among the 125 top-earners who were paid up to $13,000 a month.

↡ Advertisement

fresh grads being paind $5000 a month ....they must be very capable !!

Hey fren, don't like that la, I still have design engineer friends from uni still earning 3K+ after 10 years [lipsrsealed], they also very capable leh

Edited by Windwaver

Born to the wrong era..I shd have born later. When I fresh grad at 2005, got 2K and some of my peers envy me..coz most of them are getting 1.8K

Now 3K plus liao..

13k...no track record...just pay them 13k per month? wow!!

It's true. I have one cousin from NUS BA, 1st job already 5 figure in the same sector stated above (age 20+).

Born to the wrong era..I shd have born later. When I fresh grad at 2005, got 2K and some of my peers envy me..coz most of them are getting 1.8K

Now 3K plus liao..

Hey buddy, think I'm from the same era as yours [laugh]

true lor....my 1st job as a grad is 2k only....knn...we r lower tier

Haha, really wonder why some employers still frown when people with experience ask for lower pay than fresh grads [rifle]

true lor....my 1st job as a grad is 2k only....knn...we r lower tier

It's a lot to do with luck if you graduate into a bad economy.

But even if it's good times you can still fall into the wrong sectors.

I have a few very brilliant friends who got into engineering back when the govt was hyping it up.

They went into semicon industry and the rest as they say is history. [:(]

It's true. I have one cousin from NUS BA, 1st job already 5 figure in the same sector stated above (age 20+).

Har ? 1st class honours ah..5 figure salary. Issit must work 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year ?

A fresh grad doc also dun earn that much sia. Can reveal nature of job abit ?

Hey buddy, think I'm from the same era as yours [laugh]

I wont forget prior to this job, got one job lobang as admin assistant in HS** in their risk dept as temp for 3 months. Hourly rate is $7.50.

My eyes brighten up and say I want I want ..the HR ask for qualifications. I say fresh grad then no reply liao.

I wanted to cry out coz spend so much $$ study cant even secure a $7.50/hr job. Not fogetting I got some work experience.

Turbocharged

Think those 5-digits are into trading or private banking. Earn so much, but almost no life, gotta monitor worldwide market condition..anything happen activated (macham on standby during army times) immediately. Or big ass customers worth billions flying into Singapore tomorrow for a few hours, die die must make time to entertain him/her.

I wont forget prior to this job, got one job lobang as admin assistant in HS** in their risk dept as temp for 3 months. Hourly rate is $7.50.

My eyes brighten up and say I want I want ..the HR ask for qualifications. I say fresh grad then no reply liao.

I wanted to cry out coz spend so much $$ study cant even secure a $7.50/hr job. Not fogetting I got some work experience.

go do a part time ITE course in case you need to show lower level cert [laugh] [laugh]

lucky i still have 2 diploma cert [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement