Fuel Savings Tips That Don't Work

Osiris

Fuel Savings Tips That Don't Work  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the article?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't know

An article that contradict many 'established' tips . What do you think?

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/artic...eries-e-article

Have you filled up your car lately and cringed to see how much a tank of gas sets you back? The average cost of a gallon of unleaded gas has climbed above $3, with predictions that international unrest may drive prices even higher. We still have to drive to work and/or school, so we look for ways to squeeze more miles out of that pricey tank -- but do those tricks you hear about amount to real savings? Here are six gas saving tips that don't actually work, and ways you can make the most of a gallon.

1. Turning Off the AC

Air conditioning in your home does a number on your electric bill, so it must drain your gas tank too, right? Not so much. Auto testing at Consumer Reports proves that running the AC uses such a nominal amount more in gas, you may as well turn on the AC and be comfortable on a hot day. Rolling down your windows can add drag, zapping your car's efficiency; for best gas mileage, run the fan and keep your windows rolled up.

2. Filling Up When It's Cold Outside

Get your gas in the evening or early morning -- the fuel is cold, and therefore denser. The truth about this myth is that you can barely register a temperature difference, since gas is stored in cool underground tanks, so fill up when you want. There are no savings to be had by waiting until it's cool out.

3. Increasing Tire Pressure

To get the most out of your gallon of gas, you should pump up those tires, some say. While driving on underinflated tires can cost you 3.75% in fuel economy, overinflating tires can be downright dangerous, since it reduces your grip on the road and could cause an accident. Proper tire inflation is important for safety and longevity of your tires, but don't expect any significant gas savings there.

4. Pouring Additives

Where there's a need, there's a product, but that doesn't mean it actually works. Our desire for better fuel economy seems answered by fuel additives and even bolt-on devices -- but they're a complete waste of money according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

5. Changing the Air Filter

Taking care of your car is a good thing: You'll be able to drive it longer, and get the most for your money. Don't expect maintenance like changing the air filter to get you more miles out of the gas tank, though. Consumer Reports tests have shown that with today's computerized cars, clogged air filters don't actually reduce fuel economy. Take care of your car to make it last, but don't look at air filters to reduce your gas expense.

6. Keeping the Engine Running

Starting a car sucks up fuel, some say, so keep the engine idling when possible. That's bad advice: today's fuel-injected vehicles are efficient and don't waste gas during start-ups anymore. In fact, idling can cost you up to half a gallon of gas an hour, so turn off the engine if you're not going anywhere.

The Bottom Line

There are a lot of myths out there when it comes to saving gas. So what does actually help improve your fuel economy? Instead of looking at your car to improve fuel economy, try changing the way you drive. Calm driving on the highway -- not zipping between lanes, tailgating or revving the engine so you quickly get up to speed -- can improve your fuel efficiency a whopping 33%. Remove any excess weight from your car to bump fuel economy another 2%, and drive sixty miles an hour (when the speed limit allows) on the highway for another 23% improvement in fuel efficiency. In the end, best fuel economy comes from a calm and safe driver, something that's a good thing regardless of the price we pay at the pump.

↡ Advertisement

i do 1 to 6..i'm not sure if it works, i'm not so anal as to calculate every single drop of fuel right to the exact decimal places..but for the number 7, confirm is true..going at a constant speed is a fuel saver..if its a new car with a fuel economy gauge..can tell that its saving fuel when speed is constant [cool]

Go highway if possible saves fuel as well.My car gets near 14km/l when going highway.Though nothing to shout about,but not bad for car of my size.

Turbocharged

One other thing I find that is not really as good a tip as it is made out to be is accelerate slowly/smoothly. I tried that vs. moving up gears fast, not much difference, in fact getting up to cruising speed faster on certain roads (as opposed to slowly accelerating to reach cruising speed) actually allow me to hit better fuel economy.

there's no way to prove it's untrue, since physical conditions affecting drive always changes.

i agree with all points, especially aircon, tire pressure n constant speed.

Turbocharged

i do 1 to 6..i'm not sure if it works, i'm not so anal as to calculate every single drop of fuel right to the exact decimal places..but for the number 7, confirm is true..going at a constant speed is a fuel saver..if its a new car with a fuel economy gauge..can tell that its saving fuel when speed is constant [cool]

You do 1 to 6 and claims that you are not anal? ^_^

No money for petrol dun drive lah.. can afford car dun want to pay for petrol.. losers..

Don't look at me coz i drive to drive :D BUT there are other who would like to save fuel to damage the environment less. The cost savings is secondary.

IMHO, I am not sure. because for us layman very hard to measure accurately in an uncontrolled environment. ie. no traffic condition is the same each trip.

in my own example, a week with bad FC, i realised my tire pressure was not optimal. But once it is the following week, FC goes back to the normal range.

But it could be different traffic condition causing FC fluctuation. My car FC goes from 8km/l for very bad traffic, to 14km/l for smooth traffic, to 18km/l to 3am no traffic condition.

the traffic conditions varies like what Osiris mentioned..no way to accurately measure..for those naysayers who said cannot don't drive..that u are greatly mistaken..i do it for the environment, not for cost savings

For those who want to save the environment dun drive loh.. Take the bus and train like everyone else.. After all car is not needed in SGP..

An article that contradict many 'established' tips . What do you think?

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/artic...eries-e-article

Have you filled up your car lately and cringed to see how much a tank of gas sets you back? The average cost of a gallon of unleaded gas has climbed above $3, with predictions that international unrest may drive prices even higher. We still have to drive to work and/or school, so we look for ways to squeeze more miles out of that pricey tank -- but do those tricks you hear about amount to real savings? Here are six gas saving tips that don't actually work, and ways you can make the most of a gallon.

1. Turning Off the AC

Air conditioning in your home does a number on your electric bill, so it must drain your gas tank too, right? Not so much. Auto testing at Consumer Reports proves that running the AC uses such a nominal amount more in gas, you may as well turn on the AC and be comfortable on a hot day. Rolling down your windows can add drag, zapping your car's efficiency; for best gas mileage, run the fan and keep your windows rolled up.

Get your gas in the evening or early morning -- the fuel is cold, and therefore denser. The truth about this myth is that you can barely register a temperature difference, since gas is stored in cool underground tanks, so fill up when you want. There are no savings to be had by waiting until it's cool out.

To get the most out of your gallon of gas, you should pump up those tires, some say. While driving on underinflated tires can cost you 3.75% in fuel economy, overinflating tires can be downright dangerous, since it reduces your grip on the road and could cause an accident. Proper tire inflation is important for safety and longevity of your tires, but don't expect any significant gas savings there.

4. Pouring Additives

Where there's a need, there's a product, but that doesn't mean it actually works. Our desire for better fuel economy seems answered by fuel additives and even bolt-on devices -- but they're a complete waste of money according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Taking care of your car is a good thing: You'll be able to drive it longer, and get the most for your money. Don't expect maintenance like changing the air filter to get you more miles out of the gas tank, though. Consumer Reports tests have shown that with today's computerized cars, clogged air filters don't actually reduce fuel economy. Take care of your car to make it last, but don't look at air filters to reduce your gas expense.

Starting a car sucks up fuel, some say, so keep the engine idling when possible. That's bad advice: today's fuel-injected vehicles are efficient and don't waste gas during start-ups anymore. In fact, idling can cost you up to half a gallon of gas an hour, so turn off the engine if you're not going anywhere.

The Bottom Line

There are a lot of myths out there when it comes to saving gas. So what does actually help improve your fuel economy? Instead of looking at your car to improve fuel economy, try changing the way you drive. Calm driving on the highway -- not zipping between lanes, tailgating or revving the engine so you quickly get up to speed -- can improve your fuel efficiency a whopping 33%. Remove any excess weight from your car to bump fuel economy another 2%, and drive sixty miles an hour (when the speed limit allows) on the highway for another 23% improvement in fuel efficiency. In the end, best fuel economy comes from a calm and safe driver, something that's a good thing regardless of the price we pay at the pump.

I. No mention driving speed

No mention ambient teperature

2. No mention ambient temperature how cold outside.

3. No mention increase tire inflation pressure value/percentage

No mention driving distance

No mention ambient temperature

4. No mention what type of additives

No mention petrol suitablility

5. No mention changing air filter to what size/filtration percentage/ratio

No mention of noise level acceptable parameters

6. No mention if only refer to petrol inject engines

No mention of more practical methods (like hypermiling)

I believe not enough information for us to share useful comments. Detouring around regular traffic jams alone, can save about 25% on fuel consumption with/without any of the above being applied/missed. Ever observed 28.83km/L with stock Accent 1.5 sedan along local roads.

(edited)

don go out on weekdays, so driving route is consistence. drop wife to work, go to work, pick wife from office, home.

1. Turning Off the AC

Tried on 5 full tanks. average 30km more per tank. 70%hw 30%city driving. only do it in the morning though. when going home air con is on

bull!

pumped till tires max PSI(40 bar). confirm works comparing to recommended tires PSI(33 bars)

4. Pouring Additives

Engine sounds not as stress, fuel saving unnoticeable, used MMO. even wife can feel engine more responsive.

didnt change. no comments.

never switch off engine during traffic lights. so dono. but i guess it works if waiting time is more than 10mins.

Edited by Tom_kkh

for my case, if i am careful with FC, i get 8.5-9km/l and when i just floor it, i get 8-8.5km/l.

with that small difference, i think i will choose to just drive it whatever i like.

slow acceleration, this and that, worth it meh?

if you want to get 12km/l or higher, get a smaller car.

but then again, now fuel price is crazy.

maybe it's time to learn how to drive gently or pour cooking oil and coke in it. :-/

↡ Advertisement