Stuck with a smoking neighbour

Latka

Each have their own rights. How NEA gonna solve this?

This is one disadvantage for staying on higher floor. But I'm guessing the smoker smokes outside his home like along the corridor or at his window.

ST Forum

Feb 28, 2011

WHILE I was dismayed to note the statistics in last Tuesday's article ("No let-up in lighting up"), I was heartened to read about the severe measures suggested by some people as my family has been subjected to cigarette smoke from my neighbour living on the floor directly beneath mine for some time now.

This man smokes regularly at various times of the day, which effectively makes my entire family passive smokers.

I have repeatedly tried explaining to him that his cigarette smoke permeates our entire flat and is harming not just myself and my husband, but our two young kids too. Regardless, he maintains it is his flat and he can do what he pleases within its boundary.

In other words, the current law allows him to get away with it. He has even told me it is I who should close my windows when he smokes. He remains adamant about continuing with his ungracious act. What recourse does the passive smoker have to such abuse?

I appeal to the National Environment Agency to consider imposing a ban on smoking in all buildings, corridors and lift landings in Singapore, including residential properties.

Sherley Servos (Mrs)

↡ Advertisement

sorry ah..

i am a smoker myself.. and i smoke by my kitchen window..

this obasan wants to ban smoking

1. in all buildings (already is what! SMLJ?!)

2. corridors (fair enough since it is a common area)

3. lift landings in Singapore (already is what..no meh? :huh: )

4. including residential properties (within my house, my compound.wtf la?!?!?!?!!!!!!)

i'm totally cool about the not smoking at hawker centres and 5m away from building facade etc.. thought it is juz considerate for non-smokers.

but not even in my own premises? this is as good as ban smoking for good la..

sorry ah..

i am a smoker myself.. and i smoke by my kitchen window..

this obasan wants to ban smoking

1. in all buildings (already is what! SMLJ?!)

2. corridors (fair enough since it is a common area)

3. lift landings in Singapore (already is what..no meh? :huh: )

4. including residential properties (within my house, my compound.wtf la?!?!?!?!!!!!!)

i'm totally cool about the not smoking at hawker centres and 5m away from building facade etc.. thought it is juz considerate for non-smokers.

but not even in my own premises? this is as good as ban smoking for good la..

you want to smoke, should smoke at the corridor. smoking at kitchen , the smoke will enter the other person home from the windows.

but smoking at the corridor, changes is lesser.

from my experience, should be at his windows instead of outside corridor.

Each have their own rights. How NEA gonna solve this?

This is one disadvantage for staying on higher floor. But I'm guessing the smoker smokes outside his home like along the corridor or at his window.

ST Forum

Feb 28, 2011

WHILE I was dismayed to note the statistics in last Tuesday's article ("No let-up in lighting up"), I was heartened to read about the severe measures suggested by some people as my family has been subjected to cigarette smoke from my neighbour living on the floor directly beneath mine for some time now.

This man smokes regularly at various times of the day, which effectively makes my entire family passive smokers.

I have repeatedly tried explaining to him that his cigarette smoke permeates our entire flat and is harming not just myself and my husband, but our two young kids too. Regardless, he maintains it is his flat and he can do what he pleases within its boundary.

In other words, the current law allows him to get away with it. He has even told me it is I who should close my windows when he smokes. He remains adamant about continuing with his ungracious act. What recourse does the passive smoker have to such abuse?

I appeal to the National Environment Agency to consider imposing a ban on smoking in all buildings, corridors and lift landings in Singapore, including residential properties.

Sherley Servos (Mrs)

pls lor...TL i know...certain things just can be help..

If you neighbour (one floor below) is smoking by the window...wat can u do...he is not wrong...

LL lor

yeah lor. this one too bad. [laugh]

you want to smoke, should smoke at the corridor. smoking at kitchen , the smoke will enter the other person home from the windows.

but smoking at the corridor, changes is lesser.

not neccessary.unless the corridor is 10feet away from their door.

my neighbours smoke by the corridor. i can smell it while im at my hall..

i live in the unit above Miss Servos unit and every time she craps my unit will have crap smell permeating from her unit. Should i stay there for a long period i think my family health will suffer due to her daily crapping. i suggest nea ban the whole of sg from crapping in their unit..... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Eviilusion

yeah lor. this one too bad. [laugh]

Just like people who walk around nake in their flats...people complaining...WTF..u dun look into the flat how the F u know he/she is nake...

Cant even have the freedom to smoke or walk nake in my own flat...WTF...

PS: I am non smoker and hate smoke.

not neccessary.unless the corridor is 10feet away from their door.

my neighbours smoke by the corridor. i can smell it while im at my hall..

change is higher i believe. anyway, my neighbour all very nice. they will go to the stair case to smoke without me telling them anything.

this are what i call good neighbour

Just like people who walk around nake in their flats...people complaining...WTF..u dun look into the flat how the F u know he/she is nake...

Walk around naked must depend. if [gorgeous] do it often [sly]

Bro cannot say like this.

This is not exactly smoking inside their own flat unless they close their windows and smoke.

Everything outside is public and we all need to be more considerate.

If the smokers don't like the smell inside their house then why are they ok with sharing it with their neighbors?

When Indonesia starts burning their lands and the smoke gets to Singapore and Malaysia.

Do we have the rights to complain?

After all, they are burning their own lands.

change is higher i believe. anyway, my neighbour all very nice. they will go to the stair case to smoke without me telling them anything.

this are what i call good neighbour

then good for you.

because for those neighbours who climb stairs will complain about smoking by the stairs.

-_-

↡ Advertisement